The Hotness
Games|People|Company
The Hotness has gone cold...
Hello people! I said I'd do a review of this one, but I can't. The game was pretty much ruined due to a card that was translated very poorly. It made us do two more runs, and cost us multiple TU's, only to come to the realisation that we read the card wrong, or rather: the card was translated wrong. It is still a great scenario and it could've been my favourite one (after Asylum maybe)if not for the translation issues. Some spoiler-free facts/opinion are below the rule issues this scenario has.

It's about card # 120, read this spoiler when you encounter the card:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The card shouldn't be read as a IF THEN like we did. Now, it is implied you need both Nebka and Heqaib to enter location 25. But you don't. I messaged Space Cowboys about this, and they suggested to read the card like it's written in two separate boxes like the word THEN isn't there.

We went through many, many TU's and runs trying to get both of the guys there, only to notice it wasn't really necessary to begin with.


Another issue on the mission succesful card, although it doesn't matter too too much I think. You'll see when you get it, I can't say anything about it outside of spoiler tags:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Bob gives you a QR-code but the site it re-directs to isn't translated. It's still in French. cry

E: Space Cowboys also answered me about this: the distributors released the expansion too early. The translation of the site and audio file will be up very soon.


We had a question about card 134, also due to the card not explaining everything:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
When you leave the tomb and want to return later, do you just spend 6, 8, or 10 TU again, or do you have to go through the mountain again to take all the tests?


And a question about card 117, this one is just to be sure:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Do people with the mountains symbol cancel the test only for themselves, or for others in the group too?


Question about items #30 and #31:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
We missed these ones, really sour about that. But: Do you keep these cubes when going to the next run? Prophecy also didn't mention this



Opinions/facts:

Q: Is it family friendly?

A: Yes, from beginning to end, no issues whatsoever

Q: Is it more like Asylum, more like Marcy, or more like Prophecy?

A:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
It's like a hybrid of Asylum and the Marcy Case. But in reality the experience will feel entirely fresh.



Q: any new mechanics/components?

A:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
No new components, but there is a really fun new mechanic in this one that really plays with what is possible. I won't say what it is of course


Q: more dice chucking or more puzzling?

A:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The amount of dice chucking is comparable to Asylum


Q: Any difficult puzzles?

A:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
There is a puzzle, the puzzle is easier than the Asylum puzzle, but harder than the door code puzzle in Marcy


Q: Any surprises in this one?

A:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Yes. There's a new mechanic with adds another dimension to the gameplay. There are also some other fun and intriguing bits.


Q: How many runs will this take:

A:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
5 for us, but that's due to the card issue you should read when arriving at card #120. I think most people will finish this one in three or four runs.


Q: Difficulty of the scenario?

A:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
It's a little more difficult than Prophecy even. And not in a bad way. It's difficult in a good way!


Q: Any SF/fantasy/horror elements like the previous three scenarios?

A:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Barely, this one is really historic.


Q: Do we have to play through the previous scenarios to do this one?

A:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
No, but as usual, there are little bonuses and neat things for the playes who did, and that's awesome!



Great scenario, the quibbles I had in Prophecy of Dragons aren't there, about from the rule things which I included in these spoiler tags. This may be the best one yet, or the second best. As long as you read my advice in the spoiler tag as soon as you reach card #120. And I really hope the next scenario fixes the rules/translation issues, or it will be the last one I'll ever buy... About that btw, there's a neat little promo card for the future scenarios:

Scenario 5:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Expedition: Endurance. 1914NT. Release: May 2016. (You might want to add 3 more months for America)


Scenario 6:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Title unknown, Catalunya NT 1143. Release: Autumn 2016


Scenario 7:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Title unknown, California, year unknown. Release: winter 2016







18 
 Thumb up
1.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achim Zien
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
There's a theory: if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There's another theory: this has already happened.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thank you for the well-made, extensive hints and suggestions for the game.

Now, I am really looking forward to it, confident that with your advice it will be a great play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Chakado
France
flag msg tools
Hello,

About card #120,
Spoiler (click to reveal)
OTHERWISE would be a worst translation than THEN, wouldn't it? I don't know the exact phrasing in English, but if I try to render the French it's something like :

If Nebka and Heqaib are both part of your group, take Item 29 beforehand.
THEN
Avoid the snakes etc.

There is a period after the "If Nebka and Heqaib" sentence, making it clear for me that the THEN does not depend on the If. You do the test to avoid serpents no matter what, even if you have Nebka and Heqaib.

My group had no difficulties interpreting this card, especially thanks to the way the text is layed out. But again, maybe it is naturally clearer in French.


#Mission successful card
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Aaaargh to bad you missed that ! It was awesome ! I am suprised they forgot to translate that...
If you want to know, it's a recording (a genuine one, I think) of a member of the Howard Carter expedition, depicting how they fund a wasp in the mummy of Tutankhamun...


Card #134
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I think you have to go through the tunnel again, since the tomb is not marked on the map.


Card #117
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Only for themselves...


Items #30 and #31
Spoiler (click to reveal)
We don't kno how to use those for now... But apparently we started a collection, so better stick to it. Let's keep them for the next run!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Figueras

Barcelona
Catalonia
msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
I agree with Jeremy, I have the French edition and...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
... as I understand, if both Nebka and Heqaib are part of the group, something happens. Then you fight the snakes, regardless of who was in the group.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakado wrote:
Hello,

About card #120,
Spoiler (click to reveal)
OTHERWISE would be a worst translation than THEN, wouldn't it? I don't know the exact phrasing in English, but if I try to render the French it's something like :

If Nebka and Heqaib are both part of your group, take Item 29 beforehand.
THEN
Avoid the snakes etc.

There is a period after the "If Nebka and Heqaib" sentence, making it clear for me that the THEN does not depend on the If. You do the test to avoid serpents no matter what, even if you have Nebka and Heqaib.

My group had no difficulties interpreting this card, especially thanks to the way the text is layed out. But again, maybe it is naturally clearer in French.


#Mission successful card
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Aaaargh to bad you missed that ! It was awesome ! I am suprised they forgot to translate that...
If you want to know, it's a recording (a genuine one, I think) of a member of the Howard Carter expedition, depicting how they fund a wasp in the mummy of Tutankhamun...


Card #134
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I think you have to go through the tunnel again, since the tomb is not marked on the map.


Card #117
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Only for themselves...


Items #30 and #31
Spoiler (click to reveal)
We don't kno how to use those for now... But apparently we started a collection, so better stick to it. Let's keep them for the next run!


Well, in English there is a IF THEN. All four of us interpreted it wrong, so I felt a need to post about the issue. I also messaged Space Cowboys and got a great reply. They suggested that:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Otherwise wouldn't be ideal either, but there maybe should've been two separate boxes. They understood my confusion about it


Ao I'll edit the message

Thank you for the other answers. About items 30 and 31:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Did you actually get them? We just put the mask on Tut and ran, because we were afraid pof triggering the mission failed card. I really would have prefered to get at least one of the cubes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not yet got the scenario, so I've not read your spoilers, but thanks in anticipation for your effort.

In which language is the translation error?

Do you know if card 120 was also wrong in the original language (meaning the translation was correct of a wrong rule)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scooperman wrote:
I've not yet got the scenario, so I've not read your spoilers, but thanks in anticipation for your effort.

In which language is the translation error?

Do you know if card 120 was also wrong in the original language (meaning the translation was correct of a wrong rule)?


In English. French people didn't encounter this problem it seems, as I Google Translated their TricTrac discussion forum afterwards.

So it may be just us (which means probably at least some other groups will make the same mistake), but there is probably something wrong with the translation. Space Cowboys acknowledged the issue in a reply of a message I sent, and made a suggestion about how to read the card properly (which I just edited into my opening post).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you post the card here? I'd like to see what exactly we are talking about, I don't have the game yet
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slashdoctor wrote:
Can you post the card here? I'd like to see what exactly we are talking about, I don't have the game yet


I don't know what that really adds, apart from spoiling a card that should not be spoiled. I think the card is too big of a spoiler to see and read before playing it. If you really want to I could PM it to you I guess?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Chakado
France
flag msg tools
Timefortravel wrote:

Well, in English there is a IF THEN. All four of us interpreted it wrong, so I felt a need to post about the issue. I also messaged Space Cowboys and got a great reply.


Yes I did not imply you were stupid, I understand now why it's more confusing in English than in French. In French, the wording uses the word ENSUITE, which means "then, afterwards, later, subsequently, secondly".
They translated it by "then", which is fine in most of contexts, but here it can be confused as a consequence of IF like in an algorithm If... then.... Such confusion was not really possible in French.

So you are absolutely right to point it out to spare future English players the disappointment !


Timefortravel wrote:

Thank you for the other answers. About items 30 and 31:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Did you actually get them? We just put the mask on Tut and ran, because we were afraid pof triggering the mission failed card. I really would have prefered to get at least one of the cubes.


Spoiler (click to reveal)
No I did not get it. We only had a few TU left and did not want to engage in combat, we went directly to the mummy. Too bad for the cubes... I only got two cubes in four scenarios, so far.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Timefortravel wrote:
Slashdoctor wrote:
Can you post the card here? I'd like to see what exactly we are talking about, I don't have the game yet


I don't know what that really adds, apart from spoiling a card that should not be spoiled. I think the card is too big of a spoiler to see and read before playing it. If you really want to I could PM it to you I guess?


Yeah that would be good? Just want to figure it out in my head before actually playing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jolle troll
Sweden
skövde
flag msg tools
Good to hear that you liked it since you seem to have some issues with Dragons as well. I really hope we can enjoy this too. Do you know when the expansion will be released? How did you get to play it?

Our group really hated Dragons. We loved Asylum so much and really enjoyed Marcy so our hopes for the third case was really high.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
Perhaps the best way to deal with it is to state the erroneous phrase, leaving blanks for any nouns, verbs, or other identifying info, along with what the phrase should be, including the same blanks.

Set that to the side and when that card number comes up, read the revision along with the card.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pipstapa wrote:
Good to hear that you liked it since you seem to have some issues with Dragons as well. I really hope we can enjoy this too. Do you know when the expansion will be released? How did you get to play it?

Our group really hated Dragons. We loved Asylum so much and really enjoyed Marcy so our hopes for the third case was really high.


No idea, it should release soon I think. It released early in Belgium. Earlier than Space Cowboys wanted, even.

grandslam wrote:
Perhaps the best way to deal with it is to state the erroneous phrase, leaving blanks for any nouns, verbs, or other identifying info, along with what the phrase should be, including the same blanks.

Set that to the side and when that card number comes up, read the revision along with the card.


Remove the word "then" and separate the two text boxes so that they're on their own.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks for posting. The previous expansion, Prophecy of Dragons, just started selling in my area. And that's only available at one store.
Sorry you felt your experience was ruined, but you were among the first to play and that should be a positive note. Many of us will be waiting another three months just to buy it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvaro Llonch
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for posting these, your clear ups really helped as we played today.

Also, really excited for the upcoming scenarios!

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I'm from Catalunya, and I think it was mentioned somewhere that the autumn expansion was about templars, so that's gonna be a fun one
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the German version of the scenario. Has anyone experienced translation issues with that version as well?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Saenger
msg tools
German version is fine, no issues
10 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterloki wrote:
German version is fine, no issues


Awesome, thanks for the info. Can't wait to get it to the table!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
yes german is totally fine
I think this one is the best or tied with asylum so far.
The new mechanism is just so great, I really liked our play through (3 runs, 1 time left)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Le Huray
Jersey
St. Johns
United Kingdom
msg tools
badge
I like unusual themes.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, we had no problems with the card. We just carried on without those two characters, as that is how we read the card.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eatshootsandleafs wrote:
Interesting, we had no problems with the card. We just carried on without those two characters, as that is how we read the card.


That's great. At least four people had problems with it though: the people in our playing group. So I can imagine there will be more people understanding the card wrong.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Le Huray
Jersey
St. Johns
United Kingdom
msg tools
badge
I like unusual themes.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Timefortravel wrote:
eatshootsandleafs wrote:
Interesting, we had no problems with the card. We just carried on without those two characters, as that is how we read the card.


That's great. At least four people had problems with it though: the people in our playing group. So I can imagine there will be more people understanding the card wrong.


I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

I think the game is quite clear if you don't over analyse. Throughout the game the designers were very clear about whether you carry on or not, they often didn't give you the option, or let you see the next card. So with that in mind, to me it was clear that you could go on, as that is how the game mechanics had been presented up to that point.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We just finished yesterday. I agree card 120 was a bit odd, but it didn't catch us out, so no problems

BTW: I will update the Official FAQ soonish - once I have clarifications from our questions we had.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure about the family friendly bit - the depiction of Women was pretty old school cheesecake throughout which drew a few comments from my group. But I guess one of the male characters is almost 'showing brain' so hey, what do we know.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.