GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,374 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

John H
United States
Ravenna
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi,

Miniature Market listed some copies of this base game for preorder for April 2016 release while also listing copies of the new expansion for the same release date.

Was the base game reprinted by Ares, or are these still warehouse copies of the Fantasy Flight print run?

Coolstuffinc also has an April 2016 preorder listing, but no copies are availabale as of now.

Since base game copies were going for very, very cheap not all that long ago, I am not very motivated to buy that same FF base game edition at the pre-order price being asked for, and will probably look to pick up a used copy.

If the base game is a new printing, what differences are there in the components, etc.?

I passed on the first game for the main reasons others have posed in previous threads and comments. Congrats to Ares Games on a successful KS campaign, but I am not excited about having to buy an expensive base game in addition to a somewhat pricey expansion that "fixes" what I didn't like about the base game. There is a Conan RPG coming out (currently on Kickstarter) that has so many sourcebooks I won't be lacking for Conan material anytime soon.

I would strongly consider picking up a new printing of this game that better integrated the “new expansion” components and rules, which the designers apparently wished had been put in the game in the first place (according to interview excerpts I read) :-).

Thanks for any info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that Ares has not printed a Second Edition of the game...yet. Although I'm not aware of any particular timeline on when that might happen, the success of the Kickstarter campaign for the expansion is a good indicator that Ares will take the time to publish a Second Edition at some point. Maybe in 2017? They've got a lot on their plate right now, what with Sword & Sorcery scheduled to come out later this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe they had no plans to change anything since the ks they ran and have yet to deliver on is supposed to match the previous game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I'd picked up an extra copy (or two?) when FFG was selling them at $20 ($15?) apiece. Conan for all my friends! At the time, though, there was no expansion in sight...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John H
United States
Ravenna
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies so far.

That was my understanding too, so I was surprised when the base game came up as a "preorder" from Ares Games. Was just curious if something changed in their plans.

If Ares Games reads this thread, I will reiterate that I will not be buying an expensive old base game and separate pricey expansion that "fixes" it, unless the price points were to drop. If a 2nd edition comes out with most or all of the expansion stuff included, I would most likely be all in on that (depending on the positive community reception of the expansion of course). I am guessing some others may share this sentiment. Congrats on your successful expansion KS. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.