GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,340 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Purchased! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally pulled the trigger. Just kept thinking I have never seen a game like this and have no idea when the next one like it will come around.

So while I wait for it to arrive, beginner tips? Obviously not looking for spoilers, but just general things it will be helpful for me to know beforehand?

Probably mostly related to painting/preparing the game for play. I can imagine their are already dozens of threads for this topic, but would appreciate a link to one that maybe is considered really good! Are there any beginner K;DM painting guides? I have done some mini painting before, but am not that good. Still figure these minis will deserve a coat of paint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one thing to remember: You will not regret your decision from the second you open the box. Trust me on that.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike kohlhepp
United States
allentown
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of loctite. I used army painter paints and basing. Figures come out really nice. Don't read story events, tab your charts in the rule book
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto

Use a few post-it sheets to mark the important pages... And be careful not to read anything.

The game can be all the synonyms of onerous and will often keep kicking you when you're down.

Build the first four survivors and the lion... and don't look back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gonzalo 29
msg tools
Congratulations! You won't be dissapointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Tips for the first game... don't read ahead and get the rulebook rebound with a spiral binding with plastic covers. It's inexpensive to do and really improves the durability and ease-of-use of the rulebook (which you will need to refer to frequently for the tables and events).

Welcome to the club.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam D
msg tools
mbmb
Welcome to the darkness

One tip, don't name you survivors after people you like
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevenson Junior
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Get ready for wow effect.

Get big enough space for the game.

Prepare pencil and gum.

Prepare clippers, modelling knife, filers, superglue (you can break the models later) or plastic glue (you will never break them later, ie. one try only). First 4 survivors and White lion will take you 2-4 hours to put together depending on your skills. No need to hurry.

Read the rules from the very first page til it tells you to stop and fight.

Get ready to be consumed by Dat Feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Dean
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, you're going to love it. Whenever you get notification that it's going to arrive, try to take the following day off to have time for the game...you'll want to once you take the cover off that big black box.

I'd suggest one important modification to the advice above: don't read any of the Hunt Events or Story Events, or the AI or Hit Location cards for any of the monsters. When you get into the settlement phase and start looking at what to build, you absolutely should read the gear cards and locations before you make any decisions. Building the wrong gear, or not planning ahead for developing settlement locations to get the gear you want, can easily derail a campaign. There's no story spoilers on the basic gear.

Be prepared for your first fight with a monster or a nemesis to get rough, but remember the lessons about how they move and act so you can be better prepared for future showdowns.

Don't get attached to individual survivors. Make sure you build a deep bench of them so you aren't relying only on one team of four.

Be prepared for death. Embrace the Darkness. Welcome to the nightmare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to financial ruin and KDM!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott YahNotHappening
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
You only need the 4 survivors and the lion for the first couple of missions. The amount of sprues in the box can be overwhelming, but 90% of them are completely optional armor kits.

Don't get overly attached to your characters.

The game plays best with 1,2 or 4 players.

With 1 player there is a ton to keep track of, so I'd recommend 2 players.

With 2, you each control 2 survivors.

With 4, everyone controls 1, but if one survivor dies, the controller won't have much to do for the rest of the phase. That's why I think 2 players is the sweet spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am getting more and more excited!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Lamprey
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get tons of sleeeeeeeves lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Krauss
msg tools
You will probably make mistakes during the game, but no worries there. Ask away or search for answers, you will eventually find everything online ^^

Try to memorize where the rules in the book are, you will look them up often. Its quite a good rulebook which gets you into the game fast, but rules may be a bit scattered, because for some things, i.e. battle/showdown rules you find pieces in the tutorial section, and some pieces in the mid part of the book. Some ambiguous things are answered in the official FAQ http://tools.kingdomdeath.com/faq/

You will only need the starting survivors and lion to play (my first phoenix encounter i played vs the 100mm plate with an arrow stuck to it). For everything else, if you want to have build guides (if you are casual gamer like me), go to http://www.vibrantlantern.com/ until official build guides are out.

All monsters are build on the bigger bases (There are 6x50mm and 1x100mm)! Dont Glue the Butcher to a small base (like my brother accidently did before we knew better )

Dont spoil yourself by reading cards and story/hunt events in advance (Gear is ok, you will eventually have to know what you can build. Ah but dont read the rare gear cards ^^). Really all you need to know is the rules part of the book.
It is huuuuuuge fun if you encounter Events in the game with your friends for the first time, either having that "AHA!" moment when learning something new or just laughing about the hilarious stuff that keeps on coming (while simultaneously gouging your eyes out of course)

Dont be afraid to lose a settlement.

Ok thats it for now ^^

Have Fun with the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any easy painting guides?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
amoebius88 wrote:

Dont spoil yourself by reading cards and story/hunt events in advance (Gear is ok, you will eventually have to know what you can build. Ah but dont read the rare gear cards ^^).

We don't allow anyone to read gear stats for anything the settlement hasn't already made at least once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brien Garcia
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Been on the fence for a couple of months now. Reading the replys so far makes me want to pull the trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pull it!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Nicholas
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
amoebius88 wrote:

Dont spoil yourself by reading cards and story/hunt events in advance (Gear is ok, you will eventually have to know what you can build. Ah but dont read the rare gear cards ^^).

We don't allow anyone to read gear stats for anything the settlement hasn't already made at least once.

So you just build it without having any idea what it actually does...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
dragonnyxx wrote:
cormor321 wrote:
amoebius88 wrote:

For the most part. Though you do have some idea what it's going to be when you're choosing between a sword and an ax. We figured the survivors would only have a general idea how effective a weapon or an armor piece would be the first time someone decided to make one. There was one item someone decided to make that was completely different from what she was expecting that we allowed a change of heart on after reading it, but so far that was the only time we peaked at a gear item without making it. In game at least, I'll admit to reading a few that had cool pictures while I took inventory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Reed
United States
LINCOLNTON
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YES....I pulled the trigger just now. It feels like the best $400 I have ever spent and I don't even have the game yet. I noticed you posted this a few days ago. Give me an idea of how long I have to wait to get my big beautiful box of DEATH!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nudi
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lots of great replies already. Someone mentioned gum and I believe they mean a good gum/art eraser. Buy 2-4 of these.

The spiral binding of the rulebook is very helpful for multiple reasons. Go to a local FedEx/Kinkos and get it done in 10-15 minutes for 10$.

To get started, just build the 4 starting survivors and the lion. If you get adventurous build the antelope as well. Then work on the butcher, king's man, and hand. I wouldn't urge you to rush to a phoenix battle in your first campaign, but that's just a preference/judgment call.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
dragonnyxx wrote:
cormor321 wrote:
amoebius88 wrote:

For the most part. Though you do have some idea what it's going to be when you're choosing between a sword and an ax. We figured the survivors would only have a general idea how effective a weapon or an armor piece would be the first time someone decided to make one. There was one item someone decided to make that was completely different from what she was expecting that we allowed a change of heart on after reading it, but so far that was the only time we peaked at a gear item without making it. In game at least, I'll admit to reading a few that had cool pictures while I took inventory.

That's hardcore.

For a group game I'm GMing, I won't let them look at the gear until they've built the building. Mostly it's just to cut down on the AP and speed along decision making. It's enough to know that leather stuff is probably gonna be better than rawhide stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen Man
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
My wallet regrets the decision.

Personally, I like pain and suffering. The "dark souls of board games."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Reed
United States
LINCOLNTON
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine shipped today....so excited for those!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.