GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,304 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » General

Subject: Physical or iOS? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
badge
"Say my name"
mbmbmbmbmb
This game just came on my radar, and I was tempted to get core enhanced box plus that other box with two expansions, which can weirdly get also stored inside the enhanced core box.

Those boxes look big, but I can always store the second into the core, though I hate to get rid of my expansions boxes...

Ok, let's get to the point: core game is 10€ on iPad. Core plus ALL expansions seems to be 30€.

I'm no expert, but it looks like iPad gets all current released stuff plus even the promo cards. Please correct me if I'm wrong, or if iOS version is missing something.

Problem is I love and collect BoardGames, so I'm on the fence on spending somewhere between 10-30€ on an iOS implementation.

I will be playing solo. No way my wife will play a superhero game, with tons of text, I'm afraid.

TL;DR: advantages/disadvantages of iOS vs Physical?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dexter Chengadu
Netherlands
Hilversum
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mb
To me physical is always more fun, the fact that you actually need to move cards, hold them and play them from your hand gives a lot more experience to me.

Yes it's easier, cause everything is done for you and of course it's more portable. But it takes away a lot of fun to me.

You just have to ask yourself if it's worth it. I really like the game, but just buying a game only for yourself is a tough choice to make.

Hope you can figure it out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Polenzani
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
All the expansions aren't €30 there will be three season passes and while yes it will be cheaper than the physical, it will be more than the initial €40 investment for EVERYTHING.

The iOS is great for solo play and for playing online with people (more often with strangers than with friends as with friends we tend to prefer to play the physical copies of the game), but I am still glad I have a physical copy (and I have almost EVERYTHING). If you play with friends in real life you will want to have a copy on hand for those gaming sessions. The game is great when you can all sit around a table and discuss strategy (something the iOS app is lacking to my mind). And as to the Promo Cards, once Oblivaeon releases, you will be able to get all the Promo Cards in a single pack.

All of the expansions that have been released up to now (not including Oblivaeon which was just on KS) will fit in two boxes. So it won't take up a ton of space on your shelf.

So to answer your question, what will you be wanting the game for? If it is strictly to play by yourself, go with the mobile version. If you plan on playing it with friends, get the physical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
The video game is currently three expansions behind the physical card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iOS. No discussion.

First of all, you are going to have difficulty (and it is going to cost you a lot) to find everything in Spain.

Second the game is complex with interactions, keeping up with life points, understanding when something takes preference, etc... Being automatized on the iOS is a great way to play it.

Third, for solo play is great. You launch it on your tablet and if you need to leave you just close it and come back later.

I will recommend that you try the basic and after playing a few games (see if you like -you will) buy the season pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley M
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Greatest Game Ever
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both the app and a large sentinels collection which includes most of the heroes and villains etc. From the cauldron fan set.

That said go with the ios version. As much as I'd love to get the physical game played more it just takes a big chunk of time to track everything and half the time a turn or two in someone will realize they missed some card interaction with another card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
West
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread might also help you decide which direction to go.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1523148/sentinels-multiv...

My view is that if you are playing solo only, the iOS app is just the more convenient way to go. It is a tremendous implementation.

[PS I have both the app and the cardboard. Pleased that I do as at the end of the day it is "horses for courses"

Some days I want to play solo and the app scratches that itch, it's a quick set up, all rules are dealt with, I can stop and pick up later in the day without needing to leave the table full of cards.

Some days I want to play multiplayer but no one around to play with - again the app comes good here.

But other days I just want to play with the real cards themselves, either solo or with friends.

I guess for you it is which option gives you what you want, and which represents the best value for money for you.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rapscallion_69 wrote:
All the expansions aren't €30 there will be three season passes and while yes it will be cheaper than the physical, it will be more than the initial €40 investment for EVERYTHING.

The iOS is great for solo play and for playing online with people (more often with strangers than with friends as with friends we tend to prefer to play the physical copies of the game), but I am still glad I have a physical copy (and I have almost EVERYTHING). If you play with friends in real life you will want to have a copy on hand for those gaming sessions. The game is great when you can all sit around a table and discuss strategy (something the iOS app is lacking to my mind). And as to the Promo Cards, once Oblivaeon releases, you will be able to get all the Promo Cards in a single pack.

All of the expansions that have been released up to now (not including Oblivaeon which was just on KS) will fit in two boxes. So it won't take up a ton of space on your shelf.

So to answer your question, what will you be wanting the game for? If it is strictly to play by yourself, go with the mobile version. If you plan on playing it with friends, get the physical.

Disclosure: I'm another in the group that owns both versions of the game, and I'm part of the beta pool for Sentinels Digital (which is cross-platform, if that should matter).

Unless Handelabra has changed their plans, it looks like there will be two season passes (not 3) - one with all the "standard" expansions and about half of the single deck mini-expansions; a second with the "new play mode" stuff. Season Pass 1 is closing in on wrapping up - Wrath of the Cosmos material has started to preview on the weekly stream, which means we're probably 6-8 weeks from it being ready. There's one more mini-pack after that, with Guise, the Wager Master, and Omnitron-IV.

More information about Season 2 should be forthcoming next month. The Handelabra team has said a few times that they've tried from the beginning to build the engine to be able to cope with the changes that Vengeance/Villains would need.

Now that I also have my hands on Villains of the Multiverse, I'm going to dispute everything fitting in two boxes. I don't sleeve my cards, and it takes me 3 boxes (the original Core Set box, and the uniquely-styled boxes for Vengeance and Villains) to hold everything, although I've got a little bit of room left over.

However, I think that ultimately the best answer was given by boom04 - think about the way you're most likely to play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If solo play is your thing go iOS, if you have a gaming grouo go physical. Odds are you will end uo with both eventually, thwt's just how it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Kalina
United States
Deerfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
We are FRELLED!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also a member of the "own both" group...

I play the game primarily solo. I love having the tangible set to play with friends in real life, but it is a lot to bring around. Although tangible is worth it for the Cauldron fan set.

However, playing primarily solo, the iOS version is absolutely the way to go because I can play quicker, play more variants and it is portable. Oh, and keeping track of all of the moving pieces while playing solo downshifts the fun a bit and definitely makes it less fun playing the more complex characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joining the chorus, here. I use the electronic version for solo play, and cart my physical copy around for game groups. I also run PBF games here on Geek, and use the physical game for that.

You can also find multi-player partners for the app...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Polenzani
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jsdougan wrote:
Now that I also have my hands on Villains of the Multiverse, I'm going to dispute everything fitting in two boxes. I don't sleeve my cards, and it takes me 3 boxes (the original Core Set box, and the uniquely-styled boxes for Vengeance and Villains) to hold everything, although I've got a little bit of room left over.

The only thing that Two boxes won't hold are the Oversized Villain Cards if you have more than come with the Vengeance & Villains expasnion. If it weren't for those I could fit EVERYTHING into two boxes with room to spare in both. I have all the heroes in the Enhanced Base Game Box, and I put all the villains and environments in the box base of Rook City/Infernal Relics but used the Box Top of Villains (because that's what is in the box after all, all the villains LOL). I do not sleeve either. Since I own the oversized villain cards (I bought both sets and am now on the hook for the foils from the KS campaign... yes I am a SotM Addict), I use the Shattered Timelines box to hold them and the tokens and all the rule books & mini-expansion rule cards. But even if I just had the oversized cards from Vengeance & Villains I'd still be able to get everything into 2 boxes easily. Those cards would just sit on top of the cards in one of the boxes while the other held the Rule Books.

Oh and my bad I thought I saw it mentioned on the KS that there would be 3 waves of "Season Passes"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Physical can have its advantages, but in this case, it sounds like digital's the way to go.

I purchased this for Steam/PC, played it a bit, but have yet to touch the Season Pass material that I've also purchased. Even if I had regular gaming groups, I doubt any physical version of mine would've gotten played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both.

IMHO, unless you simply have money to burn, in your situation the digital option would be the way to go.

If you do go physical option, realize the entire collection to date (un-sleeved) occupies two full boxes (enhanced edition, and Rook City/Infernal Relics) with tokens, plus a portion of a third box for the Vengeance villain decks and oversized villian cards. The pending final expansion box will easily fill that third box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
badge
"Say my name"
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all. I finally went with the iOS version to give it a try. I didn't expect the game to be so long, but maybe it's because I'm getting used to the rules and all the new cards.

I can see what you guys meant about remembering loads of effects!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Registrau wrote:
Thanks all. I finally went with the iOS version to give it a try. I didn't expect the game to be so long, but maybe it's because I'm getting used to the rules and all the new cards.

I can see what you guys meant about remembering loads of effects!

Once you get some experience under your belt check out those weekly one shots! They are tons of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Polenzani
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I seriously do not understand how people are not getting all their unsleeved decks into two boxes at this point. Yes when Oblivaeon comes out that will no longer be the case (although we'll have that sweet collectors box at that point) but what are you doing that you can't make them fit (and yes with enough room so that they are not so tight you can't get them out of the box).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rapscallion_69 wrote:
I seriously do not understand how people are not getting all their unsleeved decks into two boxes at this point. Yes when Oblivaeon comes out that will no longer be the case (although we'll have that sweet collectors box at that point) but what are you doing that you can't make them fit (and yes with enough room so that they are not so tight you can't get them out of the box).

Perahps you are missing an expansion? My (unsleeved) copy overflows into a third box, as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
Rapscallion_69 wrote:

Perahps you are missing an expansion? My (unsleeved) copy overflows into a third box, as well.

I had things comfortably fit into the EE/Vengeance boxes until I got Villains/Chokepoints/Celestial Tribunal. After that, my distribution is:

Heroes: EE box.
Solo Villains & all oversized cards: Vengeance box.
Team Villains & tokens: Villains box.

There's now a little bit of room left in each, such that I probably could have gotten base Oblivaeon (but not everything we unlocked as stretch goals) into what was left, but not by much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Guillemette
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if I am the only one who sorts their collection by difficulty?

-Core box: all of the 1&2 level heroes, villains and environments, and all the tokens. Oversized cards go on top flat. This makes it portable for a pickup group.
-Rook City/Infernal Relics box holds the difficult/complex heroes, villains and environments that I pull out for a challenge. (I use this cause I love the artwork on this box.)
-Villains box holds all of the Vengeance and Villains format baddies and their rulebooks.

I found this MUCH easier to use for gaming groups, since I could limit the selection of heroes to ones that a new player could reliably play without frustration.

And for the record, I have the iOS game with seasons' pass, and LOVE how they implemented. Brilliant job! Found out that I was playing a few of the villain powers wrong too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Schneu wrote:
I wonder if I am the only one who sorts their collection by difficulty?

-Core box: all of the 1&2 level heroes, villains and environments, and all the tokens. Oversized cards go on top flat. This makes it portable for a pickup group.
-Rook City/Infernal Relics box holds the difficult/complex heroes, villains and environments that I pull out for a challenge. (I use this cause I love the artwork on this box.)
-Villains box holds all of the Vengeance and Villains format baddies and their rulebooks.

I found this MUCH easier to use for gaming groups, since I could limit the selection of heroes to ones that a new player could reliably play without frustration.

And for the record, I have the iOS game with seasons' pass, and LOVE how they implemented. Brilliant job! Found out that I was playing a few of the villain powers wrong too!

I honestly hadn't thought of that. I may have to consider reconfiguring the boxes while I eagerly await the ultimate collector's box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Mercer
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got both, play solo/online multiplayer on the tablet but I don't like the idea of just passing a tablet around or sitting there with separate tablets when I have people around.
So for me it would revolve around if I expected to play with others or just as a solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Eames
United Kingdom
Leicester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both and like most others I use the app for solo/online play and the Physical for playing with people in the same room.

I would also suggest you check here http://sentinelsdigital.com/learntoplay.html#tryfree

where you can try out the digital for free on any of the available platforms with a reduced set of heros, villains and Environs and see if you game is for you.... (Spoiler it probably will be )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
badge
"Say my name"
mbmbmbmbmb
BusterAtlass wrote:
I have both and like most others I use the app for solo/online play and the Physical for playing with people in the same room.

I would also suggest you check here http://sentinelsdigital.com/learntoplay.html#tryfree

where you can try out the digital for free on any of the available platforms with a reduced set of heros, villains and Environs and see if you game is for you.... (Spoiler it probably will be )

Yeah, I did that, tried the "learn to play" iOS version, and got the game now

I'm glad I went digital on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.