GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,844 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Adventure game for an euro-gamer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darek C
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmb
Woould you recommend an ameritrash type of game with theme and adventure, developing your character maybe and increasing its abilities with a few requirements I like and do not like:

Requirements:
- Time of play up to 2.5h, I will never play a game that lasts 4-5-6 hours, never have that time
- Playability between 2 up to maybe 4 or 5 players, if 5 is an option that is a plus.
- if figures are included that's cool but games like Descent 2 or SW: Imperial Assault are frightening me, too much reading, too much thematic maybe, I will not have time to engage my gaming group for an hour before we start playing...

I was thinking:
- Runebound 3rd ed - but I read that it is not the best game there
- Lord of the Ice Garden - interesting theme, my wife read the books but is it a good game in general?
- Mage Knight - I am not sure if it isn't too big for me, set up time, gameplay time...
- Assault on Doomrock - very interesting but I read a comment it's replayability is poor
- Eldritch Horror - eventually will land on my shelf so really looking for something on top of that

Would you recommend any other one, given that I am mostly an euro-gamer, my wife does not like playing that much, I struggle finding time or company playing so my Game of Thrones that I owe for 2 years has been played just once to date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Connell
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legends of Andor is very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely not Mage Knight, if your time is limited. It is a very long game.

Apart from the already mentioned Legends of Andor (consider this a +1), I would also look into:

- Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game
- Mistfall

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
jsc19702 wrote:
Legends of Andor is very good.

Assault on Doomrock has very high replayability, I'd say. There's no way you'll get through all the different items and spells in a couple play throughs. It's a hair long, so you have to be ok with that.

Legends of Andor is the quintessential euro game meets fantasy. It's a puzzler all about efficiency of time and resources. The expansions add a ton of replayability.

Gloomhaven is a little heavier and tactical. You play cards from your hand (8-12) that each have different abilities as you fight your way through a dungeon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lancee
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island is an incredibly thematic experience, but has solid euro mechanics. Like all euros it's a puzzle where you're trying to optimize your moves, but the narrative makes this amazing. It's co-op though so you should be into that of course.

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set is a great option if you want something simpler. It strips down ameritrash to its basics and adds some euro mechanics like deckbuilding. You play it cooperatively and even your wife may enjoy it.

Mage Knight Board Game seems like a solid option as well. I find the game hideously ugly though and with more than 2 there's a huge amount of downtime. The puzzle is really elaborate here and it's arguably the most aventurous kind of setting.

EDIT: I've seen people recommend Legends of Andor, honestly this looks like a very good fit, but I haven't played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adventure Land is more on the light side but it gets a ton of positive reviews left and right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I'd recommend the D&D Adventure System games. Those are dungeon crawler type games that distill the D&D experience to the bare minimum essentials: they don't need a DM, enemies are controlled by an automa (i.e. this one always moves towards the closer player, this one always atacks the stongest, this one flees if ever alone), you are forced to explore a new tile and/or fight on every round or else bad things happen so there is no idling, you gain stats, equipment, bonuses and that stuff, but you don't need to worry about a long campaign and managing your character because each time you play it's a self-contained scenario that starts from level 1 and plays quickly over an hour or two. Each game comes with a few scenarios that can be played multiple times, and you can combine them across boxes or create your own.

So they are short ameritrash experiences (including lots of miniatures and dice rolling) but you should feel in very familiar territory as long as you have played a fantasy RPG at any point your life, no matter if it was on a table with pen and paper or on a PC/console.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilse
Belgium
Kortenberg
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
Smile!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First thing I thought of was Legends of Andor, and since I'm the fourth (or fifth I didn't count) to mention it, I think it's worth looking into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Coin22 wrote:
Woould you recommend an ameritrash type of game with theme and adventure, (...)

Why does it have to be Ameritrash? Legends of Andor is a great adventure Euro. With the New Heroes expansion, it supports up to 6 players. I also second Adventure Land, which surprised me in a very positive way. The movement mechanic make it a bit more abstract than others, but less than I expected. And it's very accessible, easy to play with non-gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Why does it have to be Ameritrash?

Such is life... There are days you just wake up on the trashy side and want to taste something different, fun, without any attachments or too much thinking.

And sometimes it even applies to boardgames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight is really an excellent bridge between euro-american games, it's almost like a cardboard roguelike, if you know the term. If you have a playtime of 2.5 hours I think it's doable in 2 players (after a couple of plays). Best bang for the bucks for sure. Imho of course.

For a simpler, faster alternative, to me Witcher is quite good at scratching that 4-players adventure itch with combat, quests & level-up in a grim fantasy world, 1 step above Talisman and 2 steps below Mage Knight. But there are differing views on that, so YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
The first game that comes to my mind is Lost Valley: The Yukon Goldrush 1896. If you can appreciate the theme, the game is a fun tile-laying game of exploring a valley full of wild animals, opportunities to mine gold, and special locations that allow you to do neat things. The game is kind of a Euro, because you're having to use things like tools, food, guns, etc. to do different actions, but at the same time, there's a lot of theme and a fair bit of luck to it.

You can't let someone wander off on their own, because they might stumble upon something really useful, and it's all left up to them. There's a nice amount of give-and-take, as you can use others' mines and things, but you're also having to leave them a gift for using it.

This game goes up to 6p, and I think it should clock in right around the maximum time frame you're looking for with than many people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.