GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,241 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Fatal Alliances: The Great War» Forums » Rules

Subject: First attempt at the game and some resulting questions. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leigh Monk
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Finally got to breakout my copy of the game and get through two turns.

Some questions that arose from our session......

1) Does the CW need to be in the war before they can seize the Turkish battleships. And, I guess, if the answer is yes, that would mean, that as with my game, as the CW didn't enter the war till Sept/Oct that means they lose the opportunity???

2)To work out the surprise points, given that you use the modified search roll, does that include factoring the use of CVs and additional ships being flipped to improve the search.

3) In the two scenarios listed in the book, 1914 & 1917. In 1914, Serbia starts aligned with Russia but in 1917 they are aligned to CW. What is the game mechanism that allows this transfer to take place?

4) Do damaged ships count toward the build points lost for morale purposes?

And finally, I've read in other questions posted that the political point gain for winning a major victory that the correct interpretation is to apply this to every single attack??? That's what we have done. It does seem to result in very significant number of political points being generated for either side. I'm concerned that it may be too many. Although I don't want to judge it after just two turns. I'm also somewhat apprehensive about it as 2 build points could represent just the loss of a single division. I wouldn't of though that the loss of such a small unit on the scale of WW1 would constitute a victory that would influence minors.

And a quick summary of the two turns play
Jul/Aug saw the Russians sweep through Galicia up to the Carpathian mountains (the Austrians didn't defend the plains). Lemberg was abandoned. Russia also attempted to grab as much territory in Prussia as possible. Meanwhile, Germany pushed into Belgium and reached the French border. Serbia, fell back, choosing not to bother to defend the open plains in the north, fearing the strong Austrian forces on their border. The CW watches impatiently as the required number to enter war did not occur until the impulse prior to the central powers ending the turn.

Sept/Oct saw the entry by CW. A very long, dry turn (not a single hint of rain anyhere) saw Serbia get overrun. Russia has secured the eastern side of the Vistula and has laid siege to Konigsberg. The Germans and French are beating heads against each other on the Belgian border. The CW capture south-west Africa but a bad roll sees very heavy casualties (in just two turns, I've already rolled 3 3's and 2 5's for land combat). Finally being such a long turn, the Germans got bored and sailed into the North Sea which saw a large and very even naval battle with the British and saw the British withdraw having lost 3 cruisers and one battleship to one cruiser and one battleship for the Germans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1) No, they can do so while neutral. Ditto the Chilean ships.

2) Anything that modifies the Sea BOX affects surprise (IIRC this only includes CVs and NAV-type aircraft). Anything that only affects the roll only affects whether or not you find.

3) I'm not sure, but possibly when Russia goes into unrest its minors switch control? Andrew Rader would have to answer that, it never came up in playtests.

4) I think that only sunken ships counted for morale, but I could be wrong here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Henningsen
Denmark
flag msg tools
3: 14.4 Russian civil war, states that all minors outside Russian 1914 boarders, switches control to another ally
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herbert Gratz
Austria
Vienna
Unspecified
flag msg tools
CPs and dam. ships are ignored for purpose of determining big victory for PPs. But all losses count for morale (first round build only) as I understand it. I.e. CPs and dam. SCS both count for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.