GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,352 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Hitman Holiday» Forums » Reviews

Subject: 4 Player - First game for all of us rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I finally got this to the table of people willing to take longer to learn to play. It seems, that with 3 or 4 players, we had to play the 3-4 player variant, otherwise what I now call Easter Egg Hunt. It was not fun when it was all over.

One person was new to eurogames, 2 of us were experienced, and 1 was halfway. Setting up the game the first time was a little cumbersome. The book does have a setup section but it is too wordy and maybe not enough pictures. I did not find in the book anywhere it explained the different types of lines on the board. We assumed these lines indicate where a player can move to. I finally saw a legend in the bottom right corner of the board. It would have been helpful if this could have been on the player aid cards. In addition, we had to assume that the one-ways and shortcuts were all one action point like a normal move because I couldn't find anything that said otherwise in the book about it. It took a minute or two to realize the player starting locations on the board are marked with green rings and each characters name, the book did not specify this. The colored rings blended into the other board colors, especially the patrolmen blue rings. The variant instructions said the bulletin board was not needed, so I put it in the box. I then later had to pull it back out to use the bottom turn track on it.

After what seemed to be 20 minutes, I continued to fumble through the many pages of the book and errata, we finally gathered that the patrolmen were useless in this variant, although the instructions never said that. We spent many minutes trying to figure out how they were to move, because one of us had the character with the variant power to move a patrolman 2 spaces. But seeing as how they are only used for narc-ing on a kill, this players power was useless since there are no kills in this variant. We ended up removing them from the game. Yes, there could be kills, but why waste the time when the ultimate goal in this 3-4 player variant is to 'find the three evidence tokens with 6'? Now, if they did have more of a purpose that I could not find, the errata lets them move 8 spaces at the end of each two turns (each round). 8 spaces guarantees they will stop on the closest player. Okay, then what happens? They just stop there, but why? The book doesn't explain this at all (that I could find).

It seems like the rulebook could have been laid out a little better or more of in a chronological sequence of when things happen in game play. The variant instructions referred to the 'normal' rules and what changes, but parts it referred to were in-depth reading if a 'normal' game with more players had not been played yet. How could it? People don't want to wait 30 minutes to play a game nobody has played before. Just reading the rules by myself I would not get the hang of all of it without playing.

I never did find out how to kill someone should I ever get to play again with more players. Where is that in the book? From what I know at this point, the only way to kill someone is with planted cards that they have to spend action points to reveal. What incentive is there for ANYBODY to ever reveal a planted token? I assume there might be range weapons in the agenda cards but I never saw any. There was no reason to spend action points to waste time to kill others and not just go straight for the evidence tokens. If anyone had, the other characters would have swooped in to grab them first anyhow.

We used our errata'd 5 Action Points each turn to move to gather the 'easter eggs' quick as possible. Then ditch them if they weren't 6. I ended up finding two of them for the win. Another player found one of them. The actual game probably lasted 5 minutes if you eliminate the rules reading I did. I know we did not need to do the 'start/end of round' stuff more than a couple times.

I have not had time to rewrite the rule book so it's easier for someone else in my gaming group to pick up and get a game going without spending all that time trying to figure it out. So it looks like this game may not get played much even though the 5+ player mode seemed more interesting from the descriptions on kickstarter. <sigh>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Huang
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Next Game: Volleyball High
badge
www.MedievaLords.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Toober, you were right in that this Evidence Hunt was a 'bonus' mode added for fun. The actual game play is in the normal mode where you have at least 5 to 7 players. Or 2 players gang wars. I assure you that the actual game plays very differently. With just 4 players, I strongly recommend you go for Gang Wars instead, it is a much more exciting game. As mentioned, Evidence Hunt was a bonus thrown in at the last minute and was never intended to be the main game mode.

I would really hope that you try it again, so please allow me to try and explain some of the rules better so that you do not have to go through all that reading again. We apologize for the rulebook not being too intuitive to pick up.

Firstly, you can always kill a target when you are both in a space with a yellow icon. Simply move there and use 1 AP to perform the kill. The idea is that you are using the environment around the resort to perform your kills. Example: In a restaurant you poison his food, or at the balcony you shove him off the ledge.

Secondly, you can kill a target from afar if you are in a space with a red icon, and your target is in one of the spaces connected by a dotted red line to the red icon you are standing in. Again, simply move to the red icon and use 1 AP to kill. Example: Snipe a target from above the watch tower, or throw a flower pot down on the street below, or even drive a buggy by the beach over the target.

The third way to kill is to just go up to the target in the same space, and play a Knife or Garrote card from your hand, using 1AP. That's it!

Having explained how to kill, the next thing to cover is whether or not there are witnesses in the area. White ringed spaces are exposed. You CANNOT perform kills in these spots unless you play a Blackout card. This is because there are witnesses around and you will be caught. Black spaces are where it is safe to perform kills without repercussion.

Finally, we go to the purpose of the patrolmen. These guys move towards players all the time. Why? When they are in a space, that space is ALWAYS considered to have a witness (as if it were a white ringed space) even if it shows as black ringed on the board. Of course, you can always use the Blackout card to remove the threat of a patrolman in the same space as your target and kill him safely.

Hopefully this explains everything in a very simple and understandable way. Now I am just going to attempt to complicate things just a bit more and we are done! There are items you can plant in the game like Remote Bombs which allow you to kill your target from across the board if you plant them early and the target goes near those spots later during the game. Or even plant security cameras which will automatically catch a killer trying to perform a kill in that same space. What happens then? You score points for catching another killer in action, and the kill is not considered, and the would-be killer enters a state known as 'Unprotected'. In this state he is fair game for EVERYONE in the game to kill for bonus points(because you are normally only allowed to kill your assigned target) And the dials? They are basically your character's daily needs. The characters have to eat and sleep etc in the game, so going on too long without food or rest will result in them underperforming and losing precious points.

You made it to this point! This is quite literally the entire game in a gist! Now please try the game with one of the normal modes - either Gang Wars 2 players or 5 to 7 players of normal 'Hitman mode'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Wanderer999 wrote:
There are items you can plant in the game like Remote Bombs which allow you to kill your target from across the board if you plant them early and the target goes near those spots later during the game. Or even plant security cameras which will automatically catch a killer trying to perform a kill in that same space. What happens then? You score points for catching another killer in action, and the kill is not considered, and the would-be killer enters a state known as 'Unprotected'. In this state he is fair game for EVERYONE in the game to kill for bonus points(because you are normally only allowed to kill your assigned target)

This is where I have questions. If my target is 'Joe' and Joe walks onto a bomb I planted, *how* does it go off? He's never going to spend an action point to view what's planted there (because those things are bad). How do I score points for a planted security camera? All the planted cards are upside down and nobody is going to pay to turn them over.

Wanderer999 wrote:
And the dials? They are basically your character's daily needs. The characters have to eat and sleep etc in the game, so going on too long without food or rest will result in them underperforming and losing precious points.
We understood the dials just fine and used them, but in the 4 player variant, there just aren't enough rounds for those to have any real effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Huang
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Next Game: Volleyball High
badge
www.MedievaLords.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay here is the actual game text on the Remote Bomb card:
"Plant. When triggered, all valid targets in this and adjacent locations are killed. Does not require AP. Can only trigger on your turn. Cannot be used the same turn it was planted."

So basically during the last space of your turn, you plant the bomb. In a future turn, Joe comes along and walks onto that space. The bomb does not explode because it is a remote bomb, not a proximity bomb. This means the bomb owner needs to trigger it. You are the owner, but as the text states, you can only trigger it on your turn. You do not have to use any of your 5 AP during that turn you trigger it. It can be rare that your rivals do not stop on the exact space, but the bomb can impact all other spaces adjacent to it as well. Once Joe ends his turn on a space around that bomb you planted, on your next turn, you trigger it and you score the kill.

Actually the dials were intended mainly for the Gang Wars and main game. In the bonus easter game, you probably won't see too much difference in effect. But again, your game of easter was also already played wrongly because the game allows killing of each other which your group did not know how to do so. Killing in the easter mode allows faster uncovering of the tokens and slows down your rivals in their own search.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Wanderer999, thank you for the clarifications! I will get this back to the table again once I've colored(or equivalent) the minis. I wish there were more reviews of the different variations to read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
We finally played this again and it went much better. Check out my 2nd review post: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24475856#24475856
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.