GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,741 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Dominion: Adventures» Forums » General

Subject: Replacement Tokens rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
designer
playtesthub.firebaseapp.com
badge
patreon.com/theTrueMikeBrown
mbmbmbmbmb
The tokens that came with the Dominion Adventures seem like they will wear out pretty quickly. With that in mind, I made myself some new tokens:

They are 3d printed in two colors and the exact same dimensions as the original tokens. I am not yet done with making them print better (I am about 10 iterations into the design process) but I should be reaching the point where they print really well soon.

I was wondering - does the version with a white background look better (all the tokens on the right), or does the version with a colored background look better (the green ones to the left).

Also, would anyone like a set of tokens like this? I would have to sell them for something like $15 a set since I have to change the filament colors 12 times to make a full set. I am considering making another kick-starter campaign to produce them, but don't really want to do that unless there are at least a few people that are interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
For green, I prefer the white-on-green to green-on-white. I'm not sure my preference would be the same for every colour, though.

They look... intriguing. Way clearer and tidier than the existing ones, though perhaps even less in keeping with the "feel" of the game? Maybe a serifed typeface would help, if the 3D printing process could withstand that. Maybe a metallic silver instead of white, if you have some suitably magic resin? I don't know what's possible with whatever you're using.

Then again, it remains to be seen how the tokens look in the fixed version, when that comes. Given I have to buy the game again to get the new cards, box, rulebook and insert, it matters whether the new tokens are also up to scratch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenz Poh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am definitely interested!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
For green, I prefer the white-on-green to green-on-white. I'm not sure my preference would be the same for every colour, though.

They look... intriguing. Way clearer and tidier than the existing ones, though perhaps even less in keeping with the "feel" of the game? Maybe a serifed typeface would help, if the 3D printing process could withstand that. Maybe a metallic silver instead of white, if you have some suitably magic resin? I don't know what's possible with whatever you're using.

Then again, it remains to be seen how the tokens look in the fixed version, when that comes. Given I have to buy the game again to get the new cards, box, rulebook and insert, it matters whether the new tokens are also up to scratch.

Don't they each have to be of 6 different colors... one color representing each player?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:

I was planning on making samples of each color in each color scheme, so I'll post that when I get there. I am most worried about white and yellow right now. It seems hard to make high contrast yellow stuff unless some of the tokens have black as the accent color instead of white.

clivej wrote:

I am right at the edge of what my printer can print in terms of the font (my first couple of iterations were less legible), so adding a more flowery font would probably make me have to bump up the size of the tokens (which would make them no longer exactly the same size as the originals).

I can, however print in a whole slew of colors and filament types, and I do have a spool of silver filament sitting around. I am not super happy with it. It doesn't really look like metal, and it has a higher defect rate than the normal stuff, so I would probably not be able to print a set error free on my first try if I went with that stuff.

weijie_88 wrote:
Am definitely interested!

Thanks! When I get to a point that I am happy with the results of my printing I will post to this thread again to allow you to know where and how to purchase them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While you do need to have six different colors, they do not have to be the same ones that were printed. Black and purple would be fine, for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
While you do need to have six different colors, they do not have to be the same ones that were printed. Black and purple would be fine, for example.

That is true, however I am not remaking the tavern mats, and I would like the tavern mats to have the same color as the tokens (because that seems like a good thing to me.)

If I don't find a good way to make the yellow and white tokens I will definitely pull out the maroon and black filament that I have and finish up my tokens with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I took a little break as I was working on a new game, but I have finally printed a full set.

Here it is:

I ended up printing black in top of the yellow and orange for higher contrast. I also inverted white to be white text on black background. I think that it looks better this way.

Now that I have made a full set I am considering making a Kickstarter to produce and distribute them. If I do, I'll post it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.