GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,367 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's taken me a long time to realise what I'm really looking for in a board game.

I like games that are deep (present the user with a lot of meaningful choices) but I don't like games that necessitate a lot of calculation to play optimally.

Contrast the games Chess and Go. Both are undeniably deep games but Chess relies far more on intensive calculation. Go is far more intuitive in the way it is played. I much prefer Go to Chess.

Besides this, I am not really looking for abstract games, nor games with a long duration. I don't mind some luck and/or hidden information (in moderation).

Any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. "Ponder" Rummy
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Reading furnishes the mind only with materials of knowledge; it is thinking that makes what we read ours. John Locke
mbmbmbmbmb
Five Tribes leapt immediately to mind. in the beginning you might be able to spot the "best" move but it's more important to get a feel for how this move can lead to another. maybe taking a less optimal move would drive up your opponents' perceived opportunity cost for merchant actions thereby allowing you to briefly maintain majority. maybe. it's not unlike trying to map sand dunes: pattern recognition will get you farther faster than calculation and prayers for the winds to cease blowing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Vallerand
Canada
St-Basile-Le-Grand
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Five Tribes is an excellent proposition.

I'd say Gingkopolis also leans towards intuition because of how little information you have: you can't calculate properly without knowing your opponents' hands, and... well you don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you define what you mean by "long duration"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rumbelow wrote:
Five Tribes leapt immediately to mind.

Yes, I do have that game already and it is probably a fairly good example of this as you can't know how the board will change from each go to the next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:

For me that means over two hours. I have nothing against games that last longer but, these days, I rarely have the opportunity and time to play such games.

[edited for word emissions]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fried Egg wrote:
Abiezer Coppe wrote:

For me that means over hours. I have nothing against games that last longer but, these days, I rarely have the opportunity and time to play such games.

I presume you a number?

Five tribes seems an odd choice. Yes you can be "intuitive" but it's not deep at all.

Food Chain Magnate feels like it's intuitive. There's not much maths in it, and it's gloriously deep in a variety of ways if you can second guess your opponent etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Take a look at Tigris & Euphrates While you have to count how many tiles there are of a certain colour, you have to go with your gut with when to attack because your opponents' tiles and scores are both hidden. Plays in 1.5 hours, has a lot of nice decisions to make, the board changes between turns (if you're playing 4-player), and there's a good blend between strategy and tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Older games will be your friend. Pre-2000. Acquire is shorter than your time frame but a good choice from an intuitive judgement perspective. Consider Imperial and its sister 2030.

If you're up for it and have two other players Maria is a good choice for this kind of gaming from the wargaming side of Euroville. In general ameritrash and wargames favor broader rule-of-thumb sorts of concepts, but I'll tell you what, Bridge has what you're looking for in spades.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cappello
United States
Pasadena
MD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Sagrilarus wrote:

Older games will be your friend. Pre-2000. Acquire is shorter than your time frame but a good choice from an intuitive judgement perspective. Consider Imperial and its sister 2030.

If you're up for it and have two other players Maria is a good choice for this kind of gaming from the wargaming side of Euroville. In general ameritrash and wargames favor broader rule-of-thumb sorts of concepts, but I'll tell you what, Bridge has what you're looking for in spades.

S.

My first thought was Imperial/Imperial 2030

Maybe Ra, as you really have to use intuition to decide when are the best opportunities to invoke Ra. The point counting can be a little calculatory (it is a Knizia game) but I have always felt that part of the game is secondary to building and bidding on the auctions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Cohn
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
A little self-promotion, but I think my game, Exodus Fleet, fits right in there. You can calculate some things, but there's some hidden info and a bit of chaos from heavy player interaction. Coming this fall from TMG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Some of the games sound good but are unfortunately on the long side (such as "Imperial" and "Food Chain Magnate") but others (such as "Tigris & Eurphates" and "Ra") look like definitely possibilities.

"The Exodus Fleet" sounds interesting but need to find out more about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Yi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What in interesting question! Besides Five Tribes, which had been covered in depth, I would probably say Castles of Mad King Ludwig.

The fact that the lead player gets to set the market, but purchases from it last, that the tiles are all different shapes, and that each have different amounts of doors you can try and close off makes it very rewarding to intuition.

When I compare it to Suburbia, from the same designer, where the market is automatic and all the pieces are uniform hexes, I find Suburbia is easier to calculate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Ages.
You can sit and calculate til the cows come home, but an event can throw it all out the window.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Idan Rooze
Israel
flag msg tools
Dungeon Petz I find very rewarding in that aspect. There's enough hidden information so that you won't have to calculate too much, but the revealed information can sort of lead you to choose between a few viable strategies. If you can sort of feel the table situation you'll probably do a good job. My SO isn't so keen on games that requires lots of calculation and she's really good at this.

And also, baby monsters.

I rate this game really high and you should definitely check it out if you're into deeper strategy games that are also lovely and heavily thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.