GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,823 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Muncie Store Championship rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Went down to Muncie for the store championship. According to Facebook we were expecting about 13, but we ended up with an even 18 which was great! Four rounds and a top 4 cut. Looked to be a great day.

I was going to play Imperial Aces since I've enjoyed it and I hadn't lost with it yet. The only list I've had a problem with in the past was Brobots. So I go to play a practice game against Chad Gay and he reveals that he's playing Brobots at the event. He then proceeded to beat me in practice. Well there goes my undefeated list and the realization that I'll likely have to deal with Brobots at the event. I also caught wind that others would be running Brobots. Uhg, I'm not dealing with that. Time to put together something fun.

My List

Han Solo
+Millenium Falcon
+R2-D2
+C-3PO
+Predator
+Engine Upgrade

Miranda Doni
+Twin Laser Turret
+Chewbacca

I picked this list because it has great defensive power, especially against 2 ship lists like Brobots. Also, arc dodging is a non issue. I also modded my Falcon so it seemed like a good time to bust it out for an inaugural flight.

At this point, I had never ran R2-D2 or C-3PO. I've run Miranda once in a casual 2v2, but no real experience, and I don't recall the last time I ran Han. Prolly some time in 2013. I also didn't get a single practice game with this list. So here goes nothing!

Given the lower pilot skill meta I've seen lately, a PS9/PS8 list should do fairly well. As long as I don't run into one of those pesky PS10 Poe lists.

Player 1 - Travis Peterson

Poe Dameron
+Autothrusters
+Veteran Instincts
+R2-D2

Jake Farrell
+A-Wing Test Pilot
+Chardaan Refit
+Veteran Instincts
+Autothrusters
+Predator

Horton Salm
+R7-T1
+Twin Laser Turret

Dag nabbit! PS10 Poe, Jake, and a TLT Y-Wing. I've dealt with this before, but I didn't want to have to with this list much less in round 1 and the first time I put this list on the table. All I need to do is avoid arcs and prevent those easy shots from Poe.

My goal going in was to push a few damage into Poe in the first round of shooting and let him get away. Then focus down the Y-Wing while Poe regens. Then take out Jake when I get an opportune moment.

We started in opposite corners and met in the asteroids. I love asteroids and feel very comfortable flying around them. I got the perfect engagement I wanted...and missed everything on my attacks. Good start Chris. I also evaded nothing and ended up taking 3 damage between my 2 ships.

For the second round, I ran through some asteroids hoping he wouldn't bite that direction hard enough to have good position. Poe didn't, but Jake had a great position. I took some shields off of the Y-Wing but not nearly the damage output I needed at this point. I took more painful shots on the falcon. Ended up bringing back 1 shield with R2-D2, so I wasn't completely hurting.

Miranda was pointing one direction so it was obvious where she was going. I decided to peal off Han the other direction hoping to get some rear shots on Poe or Jake then use my hard turns and boosting to bring him back around into the fight the next turn. It wasn't the obvious choice so I figured it would be safe. Of course not, Jake followed perfectly. Since no one went Miranda's direction, she had no shots and Han's offensive output was awful. Admittedly due to me boosting trying to get better position. I should have just taken a focus and hoped for some damage. The defensive game was obviously not working.

The next few rounds resulted in Poe and Jake tailing the Falcon and killing him before Miranda could even get back to help. I managed to take some shields off of Poe, but we all know how worthless that is with R2-D2 sitting in his pocket.

Miranda ended up doing very little and got the "all attack rolls get one less die" crit. I could have used Chewbacca at that point, but I was pretty frustrated with my list and just needed some time to think before the next round. I conceded the game and walked away to calm down and join the pity party of my Ft. Wayne colleagues.

Loss 0-100 ouch... As a note, Travis was a very nice guy to play against. Would definitely be happy to play against him again. In fact, I want that rematch!!!

Player 2 - Chad Gay

IG-88B
+Crackshot
+Glitterstim
+Autothrusters
+IG-2000
+Heavy Laser Cannon

IG-88C
+Crackshot
+Glitterstim
+Autothrusters
+IG-2000
+Heavy Laser Cannon

Oh come on! The guy who beat me in practice with the list that beat me in practice that I didn't want to have to deal with. The guy I just got done complaining about everything that went wrong in our previous matches with. Oh well, here we go.

He flew down the left side while I slammed up the right. I figured I could pull him into the asteroids or get in out of his arc. Instead he did some K-Turns into a fairly open area where he could do easy greens for a head on engagement. Perfect for him. I pushed Han into the front to either take the brunt of the attack or at least deal a punishing range 1 attack. He didn't bite and shot hard at Miranda. Han and Miranda poured damage into IG-88C. Not the one I wanted, but B was touching Han. Not that B's ability ever triggers against a 1 agility list, so maybe C was the better choice.

Next turn I realize I need to get Miranda the hell out of dodge. He tried to do a 3 bank with his Iggys, but it failed and he ended up staying where he was which was perfect for him. I had Miranda do a hard 2 into the space IG-88B was holding. I should have done a faster maneuver the other way and slammed to live another day. Instead I'm sitting at range 1-2 of two Iggys. Han at least ran forward with a great range 1 shot on IG-88C. Miranda and Han brought IG-88C down to next to nothing which was great. I really needed the kill, but that didn't happen. Miranda melted. I told myself, get her out of danger, you can't just tank with her. Way to listen to your own advice Chris.

The next few turns are a bit of a blur. We did some flying and shooting but nothing too exciting. We ended up with IG-88C getting close to the Falcon. I just needed one good shot and he was done for. Then he rammed me preventing the shot. A great move on his part. Unfortunately it put him directly in front of an asteroid. He was able to ram me again to live another turn. I turned to get some distance and was able to take him out.

The dance that followed was fairly uneventful. There was one comical moment where Chad contemplated popping glitterstim but didn't and his defense dice punished him by rolling 4 focus icons. The game came down to a head on maneuver where IG-88B slow rolled for an easy shot, but Han did a 4 forward pointing himself into a bad corner. Getting out of it would be difficult, but it was a last ditch gambit. Fortunately it worked. I was out of arc and had a range 1 focused shot. That was the game.

As far as flying is concerned, there were not any significant mistakes. There were some wrong guesses like my Miranda move that got her killed, but nothing that was a big mistake. A close game against a fun opponent.

Win 100-69

Player 3 - Logan Prather

Soontir Fel
+Push The Limit
+Royal Guard Tie
+Autothrusters
+Stealth Device

Darth Vader
+TIE/x1
+Accuracy Corrector
+Engine Upgrade
+Crackshot

Omega Leader
+Comm Relay
+Juke
+Shield Upgrade

Hey look, it's nearly the list I was going to run. But this one has a bit of a different vader and they use Omega Leader. I've never faced Omega Leader with the full load out. Well maybe once, but he didn't live long enough to make a difference. Anyways...

He had initiative, so he could shoot first, but Miranda got to see where Omega was going, and Han could see where Soontir and Vader were going. I set up on the left side and he had Soontir in the middle and Vader/Omega on the opposite corner. This was my opportunity to hopefully get an engagement on Soontir before the other two show up so I pushed ahead as fast as possible. Soontir took the bait and came in at me. Vader and Omega found themselves caught looping around an asteroid. They could have come in earlier, but would have ended up in a head on battle with the falcon. He was looking for the flank and that gave me my opportunity. Unfortunately, Soontir does Soontir things and he survived everything I threw at him. Dang...

Next turn, he sent Soontir after Miranda, but was not able to get arcs. Vader managed to land himself on a rock and took a damage. Not a great sign. Omega Leader shot ahead and took his target lock on Han. Han took a 4 forward to ambush and hopefully get in behind them. I was past Omega and was sitting range 1 of Vader though the shot was through his asteroid buddy. I landed 4 hits and Vader blanked out. Ouch! Not a good start for him.

The next turn, Omega Leader bit towards the north side where Miranda looked like she was going. Instead she went towards the left edge to curl back around and come at Soontir more. This left Omega Leader out of it for a few turns. The next couple turns resulted in a lot of dancing with Soontir while he evaded every damn thing I threw at him. Miranda just kept regenerating the shields he took off of her. I knew I wasn't getting through anyways.

Then Omega Leader got back into the frey. I knew it was coming so I threw everyone at him. Soontir wasn't going down until he made a mistake so I had to eliminate the other threat. I don't think he survived more than one round of me coming at him. So it was down to just Soontir. We only had 10 minutes left so I was trying to be quick with play. I managed to pull a ballsy move and drop a shield on Miranda to get an extra attack die. With 4 dice and a focus, I was able to get one hit through and drop that Stealth Device.

We were down to just a couple minutes and he was really wanting some MOV. He thought he could take down Miranda and boost/barrel rolled into position for a range 1 shot. Han got him down to one hit remaining. He managed to take out Miranda's shields and dish a damage card. That prevented me from boosting another attack, but I wasn't afraid of dying. Miranda was able to do her range 1 shot and finish him off. It was a pretty solid win for me though it was an incredibly long game.

100-0 Win - Logan was a great opponent. He was competitive yet with a very fly casual attitude. At least twice he reminded me I had a focus when I rolled an eyeball and started reaching for shields. There was no reason for me not to spend my focus. A awesome gesture on his part. Would gladly play against him again.

Player 4 - Dustin Parks - 75-61

Syndicate Thug x4
+Twin Laser Turret
+Unhinged Astromech
+BTL-A4

I played against Dustin at the Game Annex tournament. He's a great opponent and I really enjoy playing against him. He was flying quad TLT which was not an exciting list for me. Though he had the title on all of them. Awesome, all I have to do is avoid the first engagement, get out of arcs, and use my boosts and slams to avoid danger.

He mentioned not liking asteroids during set up so I turned to go right through the asteroids hoping for a good lane to run and avoid a full frontal barrage. Instead he turns his block right at me and fairly quickly. Han was caught without Miranda backup. We measured and saw that 3 of his Y-Wings had range 3 shots on Han. Crap... He burned Han down to half health faster than I could blink. I took some shields off of the lead Y-Wing, but nothing in comparison to the hurt he put on me.

He had an asteroid right in front of him so I wasn't sure what he was going to do with that. My goal was to turn hard and boost the falcon out of the way then have Miranda cut the other way and slam out of any arcs that bit that way. Well Miranda was safe, but that's because his 2 lead Y-Wings did K-Turns right in front of the Falcon. The other 2 went forward 1. That blocked the falcon. I stripped the shields from another Y-Wing and braced for 6 shots from 2 Y-Wings. Han evaporated. It was not pretty. Ok, Miranda what you gonna do? I managed to bring one of the Y-Wings down to 2 hits remaining then I ran.

He did some more K-Turns with the lead Y-Wings thinking I would go that way and his other two turned hard to go the other way with their green 3 hard turns. I managed to take out the one Y-Wing. One down, three to go. I now had 1 Y-Wing coming at me and 2 others swinging around to engage. I thought they would go through the asteroids to come at me, but they ended up going around in what I think was a way to corral me into a corner. A good strategy if he could keep me running. I had to do something crazy if I was going to have a chance. I turned hard towards the board edge. Getting shots on the trailing Y-Wing and regenerating shields as needed.

I then did another hard 2 to stay on the board. The 2 Y-Wings that were trying to get back into the event were running pretty slow to keep it safe and see where I was going. More shots on the trailing Y-Wing. It was slowly going down 2 damage at a time. We were pretty close to the bottom edge so the guessing game was getting interesting. I had to turn in right? Nah, I went right at the board edge again. I figured if he managed to guess that maneuver he would at least be stuck for a turn or two trying to keep from falling off the board. I finally managed to kill the trailing Y-Wing. Two down and two to go. There was only about 20 minutes left.

The next couple turns were interesting as he kept expecting me to push in towards the asteroids as I usually like to do. Instead I continued to do hard 2 turns along the bottom of the board. Back and forth while getting shots on his Y-Wing. If he ever came at me I was able to slam and get away. I finally bit in towards the center hoping to keep shots on his damaged Y-Wing and avoid shots from him turning around and coming at me. Unfortunately I had to spread my shots because the other one was out of range.

The next turn, an asteroid helped me by taking one of his Y-Wings down to 2 health. Excellent, two good TLT shots and he's done for. I landed them as expected. Three down and one to go. At this point I had him on points and he had to kill me. I went for the hard 3 thinking he would expect me to go back to the board edge that had helped me so much. He didn't bite and went ahead 3. I slammed, but was still in range 3. He brought me down to one health after Chewbacca saved me 2 damage.

Then it happened. The two minute warning. I knew I could outrun him around the asteroids and he was damaged enough I didn't think he would go through them. I managed to keep at range, but he cut over some asteroids on the way around. He dropped down to 3 health. He was still out of range, but another 3 forward would catch me in the corner. I had to do a hard 2. Unfortunately he still had arcs on me so I had to slam. Why is that unfortunately? Any 2 maneuver would put me over an asteroid or right in his face. I chose the asteroid. One roll, a 50/50 shot to determine if I lived or died. It was blank!!! I just wish I had a shot instead of having to slam. I would have dropped him to 1 maybe 2 health and set up for the kill shot next turn. We set up for the next round as time was called. He had to run over an asteroid to have the possibility of a shot. If he did I would stay in range for hopefully the kill, otherwise I would run. He rolled a blank and I ran.

This was the most depressing win I've ever had. Nearly 50 minutes of slamming and arc dodging and taking little pot shots when I could. Then 4 minutes of slam after slam just to stay out of range to win on points. I genuinely felt bad about those last few minutes. Without a time limit, it could have gone either way. I would have slammed until he made a mistake that I could either get behind him or catch him in the asteroids trying to cut me off. Neither of us had a chance at top 4 unless it was a 100-0 win, so it was a close battle to see who got top 8 and won a range ruler. We each already had one, so I think it was just a battle for pride. It was a fun back and forth game that came to a super close finish. There were definitely some moments that if he guessed right that I was staying on the edge, he would have melted Miranda like he did Han. Quad BTL TLT Y-Wings is not easy to fly, but Dustin really gave me a run for my money. Fun game.

Win - 75-61

End Summary

I ended up 3-1 with an MOV of 445 which landed me in last place among the 3-1 players. Tied for second place with 4 other players and dropped to the end of the list. Final count put me at 6th place. I got a range ruler, C-3PO, and an alternate art Poe.

Tom who ended up in 4th place dropped since he already had a store championship finish which pushed Luke into the top 4 since he hadn't been there yet. I couldn't convince Luke to drop and let me into the top 4, lol.

There did end up being 3 brobot players there. Two ended up in the top 4. Top 2 ended up being Tony Jones and his brobots VS Thomas McManus with Poe and two TLT Y-Wings. Tony and his brobots ended up victorious.

After that first game, I was regretting bringing a brand new list. Fortunately the day turned around and I had a good finish. I used R2-D2 only a few times and one time it burned me with a blinded pilot crit. I don't think I used the Millennium Falcon title much at all. It's just my style, I'm more offensively minded and like focus better than evade. Maybe dropping those two and tossing in a gunner would have helped out. Han, predator, gunner, right Stolte? Why didn't I listen to you?

I think I flew better in this tournament than I have in a long long time. My wins were all because of my flying. I won in spite of my list. I think I'll be putting it on the shelf indefinitely. It was a lot of fun to try out something new.

Thanks to the Muncie crew for a very well run event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, Muncie? Was Bob Herzog there?

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

-shnar
this was Muncie Indiana. I don't see that name on the standings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cletus Van Damme

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
shnar wrote:

-shnar

No he was lost in the Ball State steam tunnels
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Thur
Germany
Weitersburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shazbot wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

No he was lost in the Ball State steam tunnels

*sigh* Again? Was he hiding from Sheila after she found out what happened to the rent money?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After some googling I now get the joke. That is a ridiculous story. Touche gentlemen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:
After some googling I now get the joke. That is a ridiculous story. Touche gentlemen!

Knights of the Dinner Table is awesome, though admittedly it's my only exposure to Muncie

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe White
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
Collector
badge
Collector
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried X-Wing before and wasn't a big fan but your write-ups always get me a little tempted to pick some up in a Math Trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bulkoth wrote:
I've tried X-Wing before and wasn't a big fan but your write-ups always get me a little tempted to pick some up in a Math Trade.
Do it Joe! The DC area is HUUUGE for X-Wing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Girard
Canada
flag msg tools
Great read,

I kind of flew the opposite Falcon yesterday with pretty much the same results.

99 Pts.

Chewie
- title
- PTL
- Jan Ors
- Recon Specialist

Red Ace
- Comm Relay
- Integrated Astromech
- R2-D2

Z-95 Bandit

twice in my first game I had a ghost behind the Falcon at Range one firing five dice (he got 4 hits/crits both times. I was able to role evades and use both my evades token on both occasions for a tiny 2 damage out of 10 attack dice vs 2 defense dice.

His depressed face after seeing that was priceless.

Before every match, the guys saw the T-70 and Falcon out. All of them pretty much said "Wheww, the Solo/Poe list". I'd be like "No, Chewie, Red Ace and ZED", "ah ok" they replied. Went 3-1 with one full victory vs the ghost and a BTL Y-wing stressbot (100-0) and 2 modified wins at 73-38 and 75-12 pts.

Effective list, but takes time to win and smart flying in order to avoid bumps. You got to know when to do a green to shed stress, or keep your stress and do a 3 bank or 4 straight in order to fly over everyone to get out of arc and get a range 1 shot without any tokens, but at least no one can shoot at you. Because the list is heavy action oriented, most people thought I would do green manoeuvers in order to shed stress. Again, priceless face when I flew over a blocker and landed just behind him at range 1 and him not getting a shot.

I believe a huge mental factor in this list was flipping Red Ace first focus of the game for an evade for him to carry along from the start. Most people didn't know who to go for first, the falcon or Red Ace. And looking at the list on paper, it doesn't look menacing because it's not an appealing offensive list. But if you keep Chewie within range 1-2 of everyone and behind you, he can get consistant damage in, shed stress easily and use those evades.

My lost came vs RedLine with extra Ammo, Porton torp, Cluster Missiles FCS (there must have been like 10 TL on the table). 2 Black Squadron and The Inquisitor. that was just nasty and since I never face a punisher before, I didn't even know what to do and how to approach this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.