GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,016 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Jason Paterson
Canada
Georgetown
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The shaded text of this card reads "Transport sinks before arrival: British remove 1 in 3 Tories, rounding down". The non-player Indians did not partake of this event, but the non-player French will, because it inflicts British casualties. Only... where do these Tories come from?

Do I remove 1 in 3 Tories who are active on the board? Only in spaces with 3+ Tories? Do I remove 1 in 3 from Available? That seems likely, since this has to do with their ship sinking before they reach land.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wamba the Fool
United States
flag msg tools
Cabalist 'til death!
badge
Cabalist 'til death!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing that if cubes are removed without the specific sentence "Cubes removed go to casualties." they just go back to available. So (unless I'm wrong, which is possible!) the French-bot will NOT take the event (unless the event is effective, TOA has been played, and they roll 5+).

The Tories removed will be Tories in spaces (i.e. provinces or cities, not holding-boxes). If a British Player, he can remove whichever Tories he wants; if Brit-Bot, check the random spaces aid for specifics on how bots place and remove pieces - select randomly following those specifics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nakedmeeple wrote:
The shaded text of this card reads "Transport sinks before arrival: British remove 1 in 3 Tories, rounding down". The non-player Indians did not partake of this event, but the non-player French will, because it inflicts British casualties.

No, it doesn't inflict any Casualties. If nothing else is specified, and this Event doesn't specify anything else, "remove" always goes from the map to Available. FrenchBot might still play the Event if the Treaty of Alliance has been played and the bot rolls '5' or higher on a D6 though.

"1 in 3" means one in three Tories on the map, just like Desertion during the Winter Quarters removes 1 in 5 Militia, Continentals and Tories respectively. If FrenchBot plays this Event you follow the procedure in 8.1.3 Selecting Spaces: pick a random space with Tories and remove as many Tories as you need or can; if it wasn't enough you roll a new space with Tories and repeat the process, and so on until you have removed the required number of Tories from the map to Available.

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Paterson
Canada
Georgetown
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thankyou, folks!

Help me get a sense of whether or not a card is "Effective" for a faction. In this case, because it removes enemy units (even though they aren't casualties), it sounds like an "Effective" event. I take it if the event isn't "Ineffective" (8.3.3), they'll take it provided the accompanying conditions are met?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
"Effective", or more accurately its opposite "Ineffective", is defined in 8.3.3. Basically an Event is "effective" if it changes anything at all somewhere on the game board, except if its only effect would be to remove friendly pieces or shift Support or Opposition in favour of the enemy.

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wamba the Fool
United States
flag msg tools
Cabalist 'til death!
badge
Cabalist 'til death!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oerjan wrote:
"1 in 3" means one in three Tories on the map, just like Desertion during the Winter Quarters removes 1 in 5 Militia, Continentals and Tories respectively. If FrenchBot plays this Event you follow the procedure in 8.1.3 Selecting Spaces: pick a random space with Tories and remove as many Tories as you need or can; if it wasn't enough you roll a new space with Tories and repeat the process, and so on until you have removed the required number of Tories from the map to Available.

Oerjan, since it's the Brit-bot removing the pieces, wouldn't it follow 8.1.2 (second bullet) to not remove the last Tory in any space? Does 8.4.10 (Loyalist desertion) come in to play at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ah, good catch! Yes, 8.1.2 would come into play; 8.4.10 would not since nothing in either Event text or Event Instructions refer to Desertion in this case (unlike, e.g., Event #22 The Newburgh Conspiracy).

Regards, Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wamba the Fool
United States
flag msg tools
Cabalist 'til death!
badge
Cabalist 'til death!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oerjan wrote:
Ah, good catch! Yes, 8.1.2 would come into play; 8.4.10 would not since nothing in either Event text or Event Instructions refer to Desertion in this case (unlike, e.g., Event #22 The Newburgh Conspiracy).

Regards, Oerjan

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.