Saboteur» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Initial Review & Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Skinner
United States
Seven Hills
flag msg tools
Saboteur struck me as a fun game. I'd love to see how it plays with more than three. You basically have a bunch of "path" cards, and some "dick someone" cards, and some "heal the dickery" cards. Your job is to build a path from the starting point to one of the three ending point cards, which are 7 card lengths away. One of the three cards is the goal, and the other two are dummies. If you get to the goal, your team wins!

Team? This is a team game? Well, yes - kind of. You see, you don't know who is on your team. Or rather, you don't know who is not on your team until they tip their hand by dicking you. My mother played the first two games so poorly that my dad and I thought that she was on the other team! Of course, she wasn't the Saboteur in either of those games. In fact, nobody was! In the 3 player game, there's a chance that the saboteur isn't actually in play, as you deal out 4 cards, and only one is the saboteur.

There are 3 "dick someone" cards, and each one of those has a special "fix" card. When you're dicked, you can't play pathway cards. You can still dick other people, and fix other people. That's right, you can help people on your team by fixing their wounds, so they can lay pathway cards.

There are some special pathway cards that are nasty. They're like dead-ends and the like. There's also a "cave in" card that will destroy a single card on the board. This can be good for either team, depending on how it's used. For example, in the third game we played my father was the Saboteur, and played a dead-end pathway card on my mom and I near the end of the game towards the goal. I used the cave in to kill that, and played a better card that would allow us unimpeded access to the goal. However, if he'd have caved in a place that might have been harder to match closer to the start line, and then maybe the next round replaced it with a dead end, things could have gone very wrong for us indeed. Even without the dead end, it cold still be a game winner for him.

Saboteur is an enjoyable game. I think it will play even better with more people, and it plays with up to 10.

3 rounds makes up a full game, and my Dad won this one. It was pretty close near the end, and his win on the last round ended up winning it. Of course, since the points are secret, you don't really know who's winning until the very end.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.