GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,724 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Card driven games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Williamson
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking over my collection trying to see what genre I could look to build up and it dawned on me that I'm missing out on heavy card driven games. Not small trick taking but 1-2 hour card driven games.

Any suggestions?

Joel Williamson
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you mean a card-driven board game, then I highly recommend Concordia and ZhanGuo.

If you want the card abilities to be more of the focus of the game, then I would suggest taking a look at Elysium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Williamson
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Either way, just cards being the main delivery mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Evolution
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4 plus hour game, Maria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
runtsta wrote:

This is just a card game, and super light at that.

For CDGs, I like Hannibal, Nhappy King Charles and Here I Stand. However, for a short game, consider Washington's War, although it is pretty light.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Not the avatar you're looking for
mbmbmbmbmb
A few quick recommendations with very brief descriptions:

Blood Rage- A dudes on a map style game where you build up your factions power and battle using a hand cards that are drafted before each round.

Imperial Settlers- A tableau building Civ game where each Civ has distinct powers and there own deck, as well as a shared deck.

Food Chain Magnate- A little hard to get, but great fun. You hire and promote workers, which are represented by cards, to build up the most profitable fast food franchise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4 of my top 5 games are "card-driven":

Twilight Struggle
Number one on BGG for 5 years for a reason. Very intense 2-3 hour two player game that gets better the more you play it.

Android: Netrunner
The best strategic card game on the planet. However, the barrier to entry is pretty high at this point. Still a lot of game in just the core set though.

Mage Knight Board Game
Don't let the adventure style theme distract you, this is a wonderful puzzle where you try to maximize your hand. It is long though. A solo conquest will take about 3 hours when you know the game. Quite a bit longer on your first tries.

Dominion
The best and purest deckbuilder on the market. Zero theme, but the best and simplest mechanics. Gets better the more expansions you have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
1960: The Making of the President to be reprinted by GMT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Williamson
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone, def got a good wish list now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Krajewski
United States
flag msg tools
San Juan? It's not heavy, but it's card based and it's really good. Cards are used in multiple ways but it's not the sort of thing where there's five different sets of symbols on each card -- it's very clean and elegant.

It's not out yet, but I'm looking forward to (and pre-ordered) The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunder Alley - 100% card driven driving cars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Card driven games are my preference. When I think of card driven games, I think of board games which are driven by cards, as opposed to games where there is NO board and ONLY cards. GMT games makes many of these.

Twilight Struggle has already been suggested. Labyrinth, the war on Terror plays similarly, but card knowledge is not nearly as critical. In twilight struggle, the player that knows the cards will always beat a player who doesn't. This makes it not very fun for me to teach a new player because unless he/she commits to studying the game, we will never have a good game. I would only buy TS to learn with another new player. Otherwise, try it on Chantry.

In Labyrinth the war on terror, by the second game, a new player will have a grasp of some strategies to try out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Barzaghi
Italy
Nova Milanese
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm just entering in the board game world, but so far the best card-driven game I've tried is cosmic encounter: it requires a good amount of strategy and is pretty fun!
Regarding the duration, I've only played 2 "tutorial" games (with 5 players), with the easy aliens, no flares and the 4 planet variant (which means the game was probably quite faster than the base game) and it took ~45 minutes, according to the game box it usually takes 1-2 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Cromwell
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle - Very fun, Cold War theme is different
Washingtons War - Great theme, really nice capture of political aspect
Marvel Legendary - Quick play, customize the hero & villain teams!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crcpanzer wrote:
Twilight Struggle - Very fun, Cold War theme is different
Washingtons War - Great theme, really nice capture of political aspect
Marvel Legendary - Quick play, customize the hero & villain teams!!

Or Legendary Alien.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jannes
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
13 Days: The Cuban Missile Crisis is a new game billed as Twilight Struggle in 45 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.