GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,152 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
45 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for games with variable turn order rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jay
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I a a big fan of Power Grid and La GranJa and one of my favorite aspects is turn order manipulation. It's also my favorite aspect of Castles of Burgundy, but it is a minor aspect in a game filled with decent minor aspects.

So what games do this well. What I do not want is 'I put my work on x place and we play clockwise', "I pick X role and it goes second in the round' or 'player x went last this turn so he goes first this turn'. I want something that offers a strategic tradeoff of committing resources now for future benefit.

Not sure if leading/trailing player goes in order works as I've only played Formula D and while fun, the run away leader is large.

So what have you got for me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Macao, Rialto, and some other Stefan Feld games make player order one of the things you can spend resources on.

Glen More allows the trailing player to take the next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Year of the Dragon
Glen More
Thebes and Thebes: The Tomb Raiders
Rococo
Fresco
Lords of Waterdeep
Macao
Homesteaders
At the Gates of Loyang
Goa
The Castles of Burgundy
Hawaii
Alea Iacta Est
Pergamon

In all of the above, you can deliberately take an action which will put you in a certain position in turn order.

Kingsburg
Mamma Mia!

In the second group, dice or cards determine turn order, but it's variable.

Egizia
The Little Prince: Make Me a Planet

In the third group, the one who is furthest behind is first on the next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Viticulture
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The turn order in Madeira depends on
A) which benefit you want to take when you pass vs where you want to be in turn order to choose your dice/special action token refresh/VP condition slot AND then
B) which dice/special action token refresh/VP condition you choose over turn order for the main game actions.

The double turn order juggle is quite interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep is fantastic, but turn order I find the least exciting aspect.

Otherwise, these games look promising I'll likely acquire one of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
jwalker1140 wrote:

+1, and especially with Tuscany: Expand the World of Viticulture
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Antarctica

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
Turn the right corner in Sin City...
badge
...and you can find anything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium and Wallenstein have a variable turn order.
As well as every game that uses the "You are last? It's you turn."-mechanism like in Red November, Patchwork, Fresco...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Treacher
United Kingdom
Moorlinch
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to remember the games with this mechanism - there are so many! The first ones that came to mind (excluding the excellent previous suggestions) are Planet Steam, Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery, and Tesla vs. Edison: War of Currents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I believe in Kemet, the player in the last place decides turn order for the next round.

There are a lot of games that do this though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Five Tribes is worth a look; turn order bidding is central to the game and happens at the start of every round. You need to determine how much benefit you can get from going first to see how much you are willing to bid for that privilege. The further down in the turn order you go, the less certain you can be of the boards state when it gets to your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyclades features an auction system with players bidding for the favor of different gods, each offering different benefits to players. Every turn the order of the gods changes, and the next turn order is determined by it: The player winning the bidding for the first god is the last player to bid in the next turn, etc.
So, you have to carefully assess when's the right time to bid high, when player order is most important and when you need a particular god's benefits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fried Egg wrote:
Five Tribes is worth a look; turn order bidding is central to the game and happens at the start of every round. You need to determine how much benefit you can get from going first to see how much you are willing to bid for that privilege. The further down in the turn order you go, the less certain you can be of the boards state when it gets to your turn.

Last Will and Pergamon have a similar way to determine turn order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there's a significant distinction between choosing your turn order for next round vs there being no fixed turn order at all.

As above, Glen More has no turn order, the next player is the one furthest back on the board. (Same for Tokaido, but Tokaido is rubbish... actually.. as is Glen More IMO) But Tinners' Trail is also a great example of this. 4 rounds of investment with a turn order to start each round, however during that your taking actions nest by being at the back of the time track, so you get loads of interesting decisions... I want to take a certain bonus, but that'll move me forwards on the track more spaces...

Last Will is a great game for interesting turn orders too, 9 (?) spaces to pick your position on in the game for varying trade offs.

Steam / Age of Steam gives a fascinating turn order, defined by auctions, but still allowing in turn benefits which manipulate turn order in micro levels on top of that rounds overall turn order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carson City. The first one to go out on each round is the first to pick their character the next round, and the ranking on the characters determines the player order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery allows players to pick either start player and no money or farther back in the turn order and more money. This choice happens each round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Keyflower you actually bid on the turn order. At the end of the game, it is going to worth Victory points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Scoville you bid for player order and it is just as strategic to go last because some phases occur in reverse turn order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The advanced version of Tikal uses bidding for turn order. You bid victory points, and whoever bids the highest pays that many victory points gets to go first. This happens each round of the game.

The game also has a more basic version in the rules, which eliminates bidding for turn order. This speeds the game up a bit and makes it somewhat more random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chiorean vasile
Romania
Targu Mures
flag msg tools
mb

Patchwork
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alchemists has variable turn order based on what you're going to try to do that turn, and what resources you hope to gain.

Tomorrow has variable player powers, and Europe's is to decide turn order, and they even get to decide it on the fly, picking who goes first, and not deciding who goes next until the current player's taken their turn. Once everyone's taken their first action, the turn order's set and they all take their second action in that order, but the mechanic can lead to dealmaking, which adds another layer to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wood
United Kingdom
Little Chalfont
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Neuland

person last on the time track acts until he stops. repeat.

V.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludvig Stigsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels. Wonderful little cardgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few that I really enjoy have already been mentioned (Five Tribes, Last Will, Fresco: Big Box,Citadels,Carson City: Big Box) but here is a couple of more:

Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition) - choose role card from hand and play it, turn order determined by role (with a tiebreaker) and role card does not return to hand unless you use a reset hand.

Kingsburg has turn order determined by the roll of your your die. Lower dice rolls go first.

If I remember correctly, Libertalia(which I enjoyed in my only play) also has turn order determined by role selection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.