GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,720 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Liberty or Death: The American Insurrection» Forums » Rules

Subject: Indian plunder question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Manhattan Reject
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Location: In 1 province where Raid Command and War Parties exceed Rebellion pieces.

Can this occur in a province where there are no rebellion pieces present but there are raid command and war parties?

This does satisfy the text of the activity but seems unthematic to plunder resources when no rebellion pieces are there?

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott D
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Manhattan Reject wrote:
Location: In 1 province where Raid Command and War Parties exceed Rebellion pieces.

Can this occur in a province where there are no rebellion pieces present but there are raid command and war parties?

This does satisfy the text of the activity but seems unthematic to plunder resources when no rebellion pieces are there?

Thanks in advance

The Plunder instructions do not require needing Rebellion pieces, only that War Parties outnumber Rebellion pieces. So I'd play this as plundering being allowed even with zero Rebellion pieces. I think the Indians aren't so much plundering, say, Patriot militia but rather the regular population (since there aren't enough Rebels present to stop them). Keep in mind that Raid can only occur in spaces at Opposition, so I think it thematic that the Indians are plundering a populace that is likely opposed (or neutral) to British rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manhattan Reject
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Scottland wrote:
Manhattan Reject wrote:

Thanks in advance

The Plunder instructions do not require needing Rebellion pieces, only that War Parties outnumber Rebellion pieces. So I'd play this as plundering being allowed even with zero Rebellion pieces. I think the Indians aren't so much plundering, say, Patriot militia but rather the regular population (since there aren't enough Rebels present to stop them). Keep in mind that Raid can only occur in spaces at Opposition, so I think it thematic that the Indians are plundering a populace that is likely opposed (or neutral) to British rule.

Thanks for your quick reply. That is the way I played it and the thematic explanation I used as well. I just wanted to check as the resources are transferred from the Patriots to the Indians and I can see an argument for playing it that this is not allowed as well (it is hard to accept losing resources in a province when you have no pieces there .. in effect you have no way of stopping the Indians from doing this other than moving in and outnumbering them!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott D
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Manhattan Reject wrote:
Thanks for your quick reply. That is the way I played it and the thematic explanation I used as well. I just wanted to check as the resources are transferred from the Patriots to the Indians and I can see an argument for playing it that this is not allowed as well (it is hard to accept losing resources in a province when you have no pieces there .. in effect you have no way of stopping the Indians from doing this other than moving in and outnumbering them!)

That seems reasonably realistic to me, though. The Indians would likely see those populations at Passive or Active Opposition as a threat, so they'd raid and plunder them where they could both to increase Indian resources as well as to prevent those populations from supplying the Rebellion. From the Patriots' perspective, you've won the hearts and minds of a group of population, but that comes with the responsibility to protect them. If you choose not to by not keeping some forces in that region, then they are left exposed and vulnerable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The pieces only represent military units.

As Scott points out, Raids and Plunder strike at the civilian populace. If there are no Rebellion military units present in a Colony, there is nothing there to protect the civilians from the Indians.

Those civilians are represented by the Colony's Population Value that is printed on the map. They are there completely regardless of whether the Patriots have deployed any military forces to protect them...

/Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manhattan Reject
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Scottland wrote:
That seems reasonably realistic to me, though. The Indians would likely see those populations at Passive or Active Opposition as a threat, so they'd raid and plunder them where they could both to increase Indian resources as well as to prevent those populations from supplying the Rebellion. From the Patriots' perspective, you've won the hearts and minds of a group of population, but that comes with the responsibility to protect them. If you choose not to by not keeping some forces in that region, then they are left exposed and vulnerable.

Thanks again Scott. It all came to nothing in the end for the Indians. They raided and plundered to no avail as the French led Patriots won a decisive battle in Norfolk just before the onset of winter. With Washington at the head of the Patriots, the rebellion inflicted severe casualties on the royalist forces and word of this huge defeat spread into neighbouring Virginia and North Carolina ensuring a French Victory. Damn Frenchies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.