GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,606 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: We're not in Kansas anymore(thank God!) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone else been keeping tabs on the bizarre thing that is Kansas these days? Yes it was a testbed for modern Republican economic ideals, yes it is/did fail spectacularly(You can argue about why if you would like, but that's not the point here) The point is the increasingly insane legislature's obsession with the state's court system.

At one time in the not so distant past the State Legislature passed a bill requiring the state school system run itself on two buckets of warm piss and a piece of worn string. Someone sued them for it, and as the state constitution did have a clause requiring minimum adequate funds be allocated for education. After a case was made the allocated funds just didn't come up to bare minimum scratch the court ruled the spending bill unconstitutional.

So in nothing short of blatant retaliation the legislature/Brownback duo passed a bill allowing them to cut off funding for the court system if they didn't like the verdicts the courts were handing down. Ignoring the effects of a court system with it's doors shuttered on a STATE, the level of sheer old time-y gangster intimidation in the law would be bemusing if it weren't being applied to about 3 million people. Long story short, the courts ruled THAT law unconstitutional too.

And now where's here. New law, same song. This time handing down verdicts which offend the legislature is being made legal grounds for impeachment proceedings. It's gone way way beyond the pale here. For those who feel it's the only recourse against a runaway judiciary, consider the power in the opposite hands. Imagine a Democratic legislature, or Obama(not the real one, the spooky Fox News version) with the power to impeach every judge who ever entered a verdict in favor of gun rights, police officers, freedom of association, freedom of religion, women's health restrictions, you get the idea.

I'm fully expecting that the judicial system will run this bill up the flag pole and stamp it unconstitutional too, but what is going ON over there in Kansas? Conservative/Liberal nothing, these kinds of games just waste money the state doesn't have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I am stunned, I tell you, stunned!

There's 3 million Kansans?

Yeah, it's a total trainwreck up there. We're going to start setting up refugee camps in northern Oklahoma to handle the flood of people leaving...and then give them maps to Colorado, because they're mainly looking for legal weed.

All the states in this area are hurting revenue wise right now. Nobody is handling it really well. And yes, the Republican-controlled legislatures are still indulging in absolute nonsense legislation because, well, it's an election year.

"Shure that bridge collapsed while yer Aunt Bessie was drivin' her pickup across it, but we made it legal to shoot yer gunz downtown in the streets! Murica!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
. . . but what is going ON over there in Kansas?

a town in Kansas after all the jobs were run out of State by the Republican policies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
It figures that the very first post is an attempt to derail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
. . . but what is going ON over there in Kansas?

Excellent metaphor.
The sun is setting on Kansas. I doubt it will rise again in our lifetimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
They say the states are the laboratories of democracy. The laboratory in Topeka is blowing up due to the state GOP actually making the mistake of believing all the lies the national GOP has been repeating since St Ronnie's days about Laffer curves and reducing tax rates increasing the total tax collected by creating jobs out of magical thin air and other socio-economic absurdities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.