GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,482 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: No HOBBIT / HALFLING in sight? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reinhard S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hallo,

an interesting Character in Fantasy Games - and one which probably brought many of us to the Fantasy Hobby from the start - is the HOBBIT or HALFLING!

Many Fantasy themed Games do have them, and Talisman 2nd and 3rd Ed had them as well.

Some characteristics of a Hobbit where nicely represented (CRAFT Bonus because of DEXTERITY, Loosing with -1 equals a stand-off = HARDINESS...). The 3rd Edition even introduced the ABILITY to "DISSAPPEAR"/HIDE (which we use for the 2nd Ed as well).
I wonder, why the 4th Ed has omitted this Character till now?

Any Ideas? Any Infos, whether it will appear in a future Expansion?

Greetings, Reinhard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
POUM
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, a mr Underhill would be nice meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, legally, there will be NO Hobbits in any Talisman game, as they are copyright or trademarked, or something.

I believe Halflings are fair game though.

And while there have been no specifically "Halfling" characters, there have been a few 'short' characters that could potentially be such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reinhard S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grarrrg wrote:
Well, legally, there will be NO Hobbits in any Talisman game, as they are copyright or trademarked, or something.

And while there have been no specifically "Halfling" characters, there have been a few 'short' characters that could potentially be such.

You mmean the Leprechaun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Brunet
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grarrrg wrote:

The Halfling has been a staple Talisman character since 2nd edition (it was introduced in the first extension of this edition), with a specific gameplay. He also had a 3rd edition incarnation, with an even more thematic rule set (in the comical vibe of 90s GW halflings, also present in Blood Bowl 3rd edition or Warhammer Quest).

Yet for some reason, he has yet to appear in the FFG version of the game (which is virtually a revision of 2nd edition). I have no idea if he's supposed to be included in Cataclysm or not, though. There's clearly a small character in it, though it dubiously looks like one of those ugly D&D3 halflings, so nothing like the Tolkien-esque or GW comical halflings in old versions of Talisman.

Edit : It was not an halfling in the end, but a strange new character. Still no halfling in sight for Talisman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.