GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,502 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Variants

Subject: Curse Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Bartenbach
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
This variant aims to better integrate the Exhibit items into the Curse of the Dark Pharaoh. The problem I have with many house rules is that they aim to either force the investigators into encountering the whisper marker by evading it or give certain bonuses when in possession of the items. The whole evade thing just doesn’t work for me and there are 3 Parchment of the Elder Sign items that are huge so there is already incentive to encounter the whisper marker and get great items. Yet the curse of the Dark Pharaoh is rather brutal, too brutal, to anyone who dares get an Exhibit item. And speaking of the Dark Pharaoh, how do we get him more involved in the game?

Curse Variant

With the Egyptian Exhibit in town rumors have circulated between the investigators that the key to saving the world lies somewhere in the Exhibit itself. But what are the investigators looking for exactly and how do they get it? Perhaps the whispers around town will lead to clues.

1. At the start of the game take out the 3 Parchment of the Elder Sign cards from the Exhibit deck. Shuffle the deck and take the top 15 cards discarding the rest to the box. Shuffle in the 3 Parchment of the Elder Sign cards so the Exhibit deck is 18 cards.

2. In order to win the game (by sealing gates) the last gate MUST be sealed with a Parchment of the Elder Sign.

3. At the start of the game place the Dark Pharaoh on the herald sheet. While the Dark Pharaoh is on the herald sheet the herald is dormant (except These Things are Mine which is explained next). Also, this means Know, O Thief does not apply to starting items.

4. These Things are Mine (herald variant and always active): Each time an investigator gains an Exhibit item make a sneak -x check (x = the number of Exhibit items the investigator is in possession of). It’s a normal sneak check so apply bonuses and use clues to re-roll. If you fail you are cursed by the Dark Pharaoh. If you pass you have successfully sneaked the item into your possession.

5. Each time an investigator successfully sneaks an Exhibit item into their possession, if the Dark Pharaoh is on the herald sheet this awakens him so the next time a gate opens the Dark Pharaoh is the monster that is drawn through the gate. He is now on the board and his full herald is active (with exception to These Things are Mine (rule #4).

6. The Dark Pharaoh does not count against the monster limit and can only be taken off the board by defeating it.

7. When the Dark Pharaoh is defeated place it back on the herald sheet. The herald is no longer active except These Things are Mine (rule #4).

Conclusion

This variant does not force the investigator to encounter the whisper marker on any particular turn but it integrates it in a way that in order to win the game the investigators must at some point listen to the whispers and dig through the Exhibit items desperately looking for the final piece that can halt all the evil coming into Arkham. Since possessing Exhibit items makes it harder and harder to sneak additional Exhibit items, teamwork will be needed to pull off the greatest heist of all time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Bartenbach
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
After a few plays I'm really digging this variant. The exhibit items and whispers shine with purpose. But now I'm thinking it would be fun to integrate a concept of the Dark Pharaoh where he tries to get his stolen items back when he's on the board. Perhaps moves like a stalker heading towards investigators with exhibit items. I'll have to play with this idea, leave any of your own if you wish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks interesting. I think stalker would work. If you are defeated by him, lose all your exhibit items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.