GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,448 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Fully random Barracks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried searching the forums to see if this was asked before. Sorry if I missed it.

I think from having played a few games, I'm starting to understand the balance and interplay, but is there a critical reason why I couldn't shuffle all 16 existing character decks together and just use a random 56 of them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No reason at all. Go nuts. Throw the guys from Marvel and Predator in there too if you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
I tried searching the forums to see if this was asked before. Sorry if I missed it.

I think from having played a few games, I'm starting to understand the balance and interplay, but is there a critical reason why I couldn't shuffle all 16 existing character decks together and just use a random 56 of them?

I would not advise it. Each character is made up of 14 cards (5 of one "common" card, 5 of another common card, 3 "uncommon" cards, and 1 rare card) that are designed to be played together. They often have abilities that trigger off of each other and work best when in the same deck. Typically, the designers assume you will combo the common card in order to trigger some effect on the uncommon or rare card. If you put all of the characters in the same deck, you dilute the presence of each specific character and it could be more difficult to trigger combos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CletusVanDamme wrote:
No reason at all. Go nuts. Throw the guys from Marvel and Predator in there too if you want.

I don't mean I select four random Characters: I mean I just select 56 random cards. The big reason I'd be disinclined to do this is because of what David hinted at: it does not guarantee a certain distribution of cheap-to-expensive cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Collins
Australia
Victoria Park
Western Australia
flag msg tools
I think the crux of it is that the answer to your question is "no, go nuts"... with the caveat is it will make the game harder for the reasons outlined by DarthEd. There are probably better ways to up the difficulty if that was what you were after (ie: the paralysing fear variant) but it sounds more like you want a different experience rather than messing with difficulty. So ultimately do what you think will be fun. If it turns out that it sucks after trying it a few times, don't do it again.

Mechanically there is nothing stopping you from doing this as a house-rule variant. The rules explicitly state to select four characters and shuffle their decks together, so it wouldn't be RAW, but neither are a lot of variants people like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not going to do it because it will mess with the common/rare distribution, it will mess a bit with trigger icons, and it will render Bishop's "Split In Two" nearly useless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, I'd be tempted to try it if it didn't mean sorting out all my cards afterwards. It would be the most unbalanced mess ever but it might be fun to mess around with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Knapp
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
I've tried a couple times to make a random barracks deck from four characters and found that typically there was a big lack of synergy between the cards. So while the Hive Deck continues to wreck yo shit at the same pace, you're left struggling to build an effective deck, even worse if you failed to bring a character that contributes to healing. It adds an element of difficulty that I'd use as a challenge, but typically if I want to do a game outside of the movies' parameters I build decks around characters I feel would work well together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ling
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
one thing I want to do at some point is to make a barracks/hero deck using one card from a bunch of different hero decks. now that would be some chaotic and insane fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Brechtel
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
I know i am late. With a second game, we made a deck with a card from every barrack charakter. We take care that the cards offer trigger effects. It works, but there is no advantage to it, if it mixed with 3 others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.