GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,573 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Opinions from people who have / have played the expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay W
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So... my buy list for the expansion spearhead sale is looking like this.

Definite buys: Dung Beetle Knight (iconic KDM, great model, interesting monster, good value), Gorm (early / regular hunt for variety, new arnor kit, cool additions with alchemy, decent value)

Maybe / choose between: Dragon King and / or Sunstalker (the big boxes. Lots of new stuff, but do they justify the price tag? I love the Dragon, but prefer the Sunstalker armor kit...)

Flower Knight (love the model, regular hunt, not sure how fun it will be or if it has good value)and / or Lion Knight (LOVE the amateur dramatics, great model, again, not sure how fun the fight will be or if it is worth it) and / or Lion God (great model, looks like fun but late in the day)

Probably not right now: Manhunter (looks really cool and interesting, but doesn't seem to justify the price tag), Slenderman (cool, but not as cool as the rest), Lonely Tree (the number one pick online for the one to leave out), Green Knight Armor (big armor hunts are not really my cup of tea)

What I'm looking for are peoples opinions who have actually played some of these things. What is more fun to hunt out of the Dragon King and the Sunstalker? What is better value and more fun out of the Flower Knight and the Lion Knight and the Lion God? Is the Gorm a good backup for when I get bored of White Lion hunts? As always, all opinions are much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Gustafsson
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played these yet, but I have extensively gone through the rulebooks and read everything in them. Yes I spoiled stuff

Dragon King vs Sunstalker:
Personally I'd pick the Dragon King because the People of the Stars campaign seems the most different. The way you optimise how you run the core campaign will not work in the DK expansion, hence a steeper learning curve and a different challenge. The DK campaign specifically mentions not to mix this with any other expansions so it is rather straight forward to start running a new settlement. If you are looking for value however, the choice is Sunstalker simply because it is an alternate campaign but significantly cheaper to pick up. Both will have regular core game integration as well.

Green Knight Armor:
Completely avoid unless you are getting all three knight expansions, Manhunter, Spidicules AND Gorm. You cannot craft it without these. If you just want a cool figure to run, go for it. These are elegant models because they are not as modular with the other armor kits. You can easily sell off the cards separately.

Flower Knight, Lion Knight and Lion God.
A difficult choice. Flower knight does include a mini alternative campaign option for a bit of variety and is an early access quarry in comparison to the other two. Lion Knight and Lion God will be encountered late game which may make them more difficult to enjoy depending on how well you are progressing. If you are already picking up a Dung Beetle Knight, another Knight expansion would be good just to access more tactics cards that are Knight expansion exclusive. Both Flower Knight and Spidicules will change the Overwhelming Darkness on the hunt track if you are tired of playing russian roulette with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay W
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice! It seems like not too many people have actually got around to playing with the expansions yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're in the right place regarding priorities. I haven't gotten in to the sunstalker (the expansions haven't been out that long, and I'm trying to mete them out slowly to not get too crazy...), but the dragon king is an epic model, and comes with a unique nemesis for its campaign, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay W
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's such a lot of money to shell out that I'm still umming and awwing over it... but I know I'll end up with pretty much everything on the list eventually, so why put it off? Would just be great to hear from anyone who has play experience, as despite how nice these minis are, I'm in it for the GAME PLAY

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, sorry for offering my opinion. The content's been out for like a week or two now- are you really expecting many people to have run through multiple 20+ hour campaigns to assess the difference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay W
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh... No need to apologise! Not sure where you got from that response that I was having a dig at you, all input is graciously received I'll stay hoping there are one or two hardcore fans who'll be through at sometime to drop gameplay advice anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, fair enough, sorry, internet and lack of tone and all that.

For what it's worth, the dragon campaign's nemesis is probably my favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
mbmbmbmbmb
JayOBedlam wrote:
I'll stay hoping there are one or two hardcore fans who'll be through at sometime to drop gameplay advice anyways.

You want Hellena Handbasket... see the expansion summaries thread.
That's the only dude I've seen that deep into the expansions, and I think he was one of the first through the core game last year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay W
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I ended up going;

Lion Knight
Lion God
Flower Knight
Gorm Expansion
Dung Beetle
Dragon King

Basically swapped the Sunstalker for the Lion Knight AND the Lion God... I reckon I've got enough campaign variants in the Dragon King and Flower Knight... and more than enough armor kits to last me a lifetime

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raj M
United States
New York
flag msg tools
JayOBedlam wrote:
Well, I ended up going;

Lion Knight
Lion God
Flower Knight
Gorm Expansion
Dung Beetle
Dragon King

Basically swapped the Sunstalker for the Lion Knight AND the Lion God... I reckon I've got enough campaign variants in the Dragon King and Flower Knight... and more than enough armor kits to last me a lifetime

I picked up almost the exact same set as you, except -lion god, +slenderman

Good picks :]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.