GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,178 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: CSWE 16-first timer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very strongly considering attending CSWE16 for the first time, especially given how quickly bggcon sold out and my current waitinglist status. I cant for the life of me figure out why cswe insists on this bizarre events listing...it is the worst thing I have ever seen for a con. GameOn and Bottoscon are the best, wherein the wargamers simply talk amongst themselves publicly and together we form our own schedule, using a common document. Old school cons with a hard schedule are at least....accessible.

CSWE is something else....a list of games, 3/6 per person, with no times or dates. wtf.

So how does one actually plan on their events? Hope people interested in your 3/6 games are willing to discuss it by email? And how does one reserve a table at any time or date?

Thinking of posting a geeklist here and linking to it from the cswe thread on csw, but that ancient bbs system...ugh.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Setser
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Developer - "Bayonets & Tomahawks" and "Imperial Struggle"
mbmbmbmbmb
Other will chime in, but first thing you have to realize is that most of the "events" are from groups of people that have gamed before and they already know what they want to play way ahead of time. Like my group for example - we're talking about it throughout the year.

Each event is variable in length - some may last the entire week while others may be but a couple of days in length. There's always a ton a free gaming going on, and if there's a game going on that you'd like to play in, usually you can just join in.

The scheduling that you see is an attempt to capture the rather free flow nature of the games we've arranged. Is there a particular subject or time period you're interested in? Start there. Also, remember most of these games are "monster" games, so they will last multiple days in general. Last year, there was an ongoing game of Beyond the Rhine going the entire week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kranz
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoff, I don't know if you are selecting Monster Games or Open-gaming. Monster Games typically all start on the first day. We have an attendee page listing so you can contact those who have signed up for the same games so you can arrange a play schedule. Again, for Monster Games, they get reserved tables space and the attendees will typically network with each other prior to the event.

Open-gaming is just that -- you can network before the event based on the sign-up activity or network during the event for play opportunities. We also announce games to be played each day so we provide a schedule for titles as well. Tables can also have a green flag at their table if they wish to let others know they would welcome additional players. We also have daily tournament events, and on-going tournament events such as Down in Flames, The Hunters, and Silent Victory. I'll be updating the special events schedule page with that info soon as we are confirming dates for these tournaments.

I hope this helps. If you have more questions, I'm happy to address them for you. You can contact me directly via email or use the contact form on the Expo site.

Thanks!

John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Setser
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Developer - "Bayonets & Tomahawks" and "Imperial Struggle"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup - John's on the case - he IS the man on CSWExpo! Welcome aboard, it's a great time. I've gone 10ish times and always look forward to the week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.