GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,609 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

504» Forums » Rules

Subject: Settlements in 912 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 504:912 [+] 504:x12 [+] [View All]
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are playing 912 later today and I have read the rules and prepared, but I cannot find out what the meaning of settlements in this game is. They seem to be in the game (each company starts wi some) but they dont actually do anything I think.

Can someone help me out? I am leaning towards playing without them but would like to be sure that they do not have a function.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They have some functions in other x12 games, but not 912.

Edit: Actually, as the only other x12 world without residents is 312, and it also doesn't use the settlements, I guess I should have said that they are used in some other x1x Worlds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot they do make it a lot harder to get the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the rules style of 504 is something incredible, but it does come with some hurdles.

One of those is just that you may not end up using everything the game parts section tells you to collect. This is of course much better than the alternative - discovering you need components that weren't listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, but wouldn't the best be that exactly that components you needed are listed?

There are even some rules for the settlements like in 9.1 you must pay maintenence for them, so it takes some time to realise that they do.. nothing. I guess theoretically you could put them out to ruin your company (though why would you?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, that is a point... You could have your trolley place some settlements simply to ruin the company. I hadn't thought of that one.

If you have the first player card, this is a viable strategy to financially ruin a company you want to pull out of and have no further plan of buying into further in the game. In the same round, spend most of its remaining assets on movement points, move the trolley into some horrible position and place a bunch of settlements with those movement points so that the company bleeds money for every future turn! You'll sell out all your stock first thing next SR and invest in a company with better prospects.

How evil...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff O
United States
Las Vegas 89103
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://504rules.github.io/#912 I have used this site since I played my 1rst game of 504. It REALLY takes a lot of the questions out of playing. If this is your 1rst time seeing this site, know that you can change the 504 module to whatever you want by clicking on the upper left 3 colored number(where it says World 912) and typing in any 3 (different) module #'s there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do know the site and use it but the question of settlements remained.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.