GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,268 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Deadzone» Forums » General

Subject: Deadzone v2... WHAT? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Champie
United States
Eureka
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Deadzone and was eagerly awaiting the new rulebook, despite not being able to back the second kickstarter. After months away, I just spent 20 minutes looking through the updates.

First off, all the cards are gone and useless? No stat cards? No command cards? Replacing them are 3 dice and "look it up" in the book?

Blaze Away, one of the most unique parts of the game, is now a keyword on some weapons only? The aggression/suppression part of the game is now gone?

90% of the tests have changed, losing modifiers?

Models have HP equal to size?

Mission cards are gone??

The new dice require specific leader powers? Units all have custom load outs instead of cards?

It appears almost the entire game has changed.

How is someone like me, who invested in the first wave of Deadzone, supposed to adapt to the new rules? I need a new book, and custom dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Francis
Australia
Maryborough
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only looked at the rules lightly and so far it looks interesting.

The old rules don't suddenly stop working, they're golden.
I think of the new rules as a streamlined version, a version I'm probably more likely to get to the table. Especially with the I go/You go in these rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highlord Tamburlaine
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's any consolation, Mantic has talked about sending out updated PDF rulebooks to backers of the original game.

It's a nice gesture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Scuzball wrote:
How is someone like me, who invested in the first wave of Deadzone, supposed to adapt to the new rules? I need a new book, and custom dice?
In the tabletop gaming world new versions with new books and new materials are not uncommon. I believe the new stuff hits retail in late April.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Shepherdson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kinkykone wrote:

I think of the new rules as a streamlined version, a version I'm probably more likely to get to the table. Especially with the I go/You go in these rules.

The new rules seems very similar to dust tactics. Except for the roll dice for extra actions part. Didnt go thru combat yet though but heard they removed the doubling and tripling effects.

Pretty disappointed they removed the cards and now its "everyone gotta share a book to create a squad".

"The new dice require specific leader powers?" don't bother about this one. You only get to trigger it if you roll a 6 on the dice in the beginning of a round =/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Jones
United States
Kew Gardens
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Fly Eagles Fly!
mbmbmbmbmb
Any idea on how people who didn't back the Kickstarter will get the new material?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its hitting retail late April and all Original KS backers will get a free pdf of the new book, Ronnie/Mantic have also said there will be a preorder bundle up on the site for those of us who bought Version 1 through retail (or anyone who wants physical copies)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Shepherdson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Torkijo wrote:
Its hitting retail late April and all Original KS backers will get a free pdf of the new book, Ronnie/Mantic have also said there will be a preorder bundle up on the site for those of us who bought Version 1 through retail (or anyone who wants physical copies)

Any idea if the preorder bundle comes with stat cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didnt think cards existed anymore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
redstarnyc wrote:
Any idea on how people who didn't back the Kickstarter will get the new material?

I believe they are going to offer an upgrade package to those with version one

Try v2, it's good
I posted about it a while back and I was VERY skeptical when they started talking about the changes

I really didn't want to jump over, but it's great, very fun

I still like the artwork and painting on the cards, but the stat lines on paper are easier to write and keep track of inventory. The Missions are still there, as well as some various deployment zones, just no cards, but I'm sure someone will come up with some more cool stuff to modify it all

give it a go and see what you think, if not, just play v1 !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
waynez wrote:
kinkykone wrote:

The new rules seems very similar to dust tactics. Except for the roll dice for extra actions part. Didnt go thru combat yet though but heard they removed the doubling and tripling effects.

Pretty disappointed they removed the cards and now its "everyone gotta share a book to create a squad".

"The new dice require specific leader powers?" don't bother about this one. You only get to trigger it if you roll a 6 on the dice in the beginning of a round =/

I'm sure there will be tons online and sample squads to just print and play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
don't forget to checkout the Deadzone facebook page, a lot more interaction and posts there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mbmb
I'm pretty excited about v2. The cards were a drag - and logistically a pain. Hard to errata, expensive, they just don't really make sense for a game like this.

Haven't played yet, but I've not yet seen a change that upsets me so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scourn1
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Scuzball wrote:
I love Deadzone and was eagerly awaiting the new rulebook, despite not being able to back the second kickstarter. After months away, I just spent 20 minutes looking through the updates.

First off, all the cards are gone and useless? No stat cards? No command cards? Replacing them are 3 dice and "look it up" in the book?

Blaze Away, one of the most unique parts of the game, is now a keyword on some weapons only? The aggression/suppression part of the game is now gone?

90% of the tests have changed, losing modifiers?

Models have HP equal to size?

Mission cards are gone??

The new dice require specific leader powers? Units all have custom load outs instead of cards?

It appears almost the entire game has changed.

The "look it up" for dice is not a issue. I spent like 7 bucks on dice from amazon where I can write on them and make them just like the one from the books. Or is to have the one page printed and go down the line of 1-6. Cards were meh. As they said hard to change once printed and coasted a lot. Let the people who have time make their own.

Blaze away was horrid. Anyone I talked to and played with hated it. All it did was make the game take forever as everyone was pinned. Pinned is less action. The game is a fast skirmish not a two hour pinfest

Not sure what you mean on 90% of the tests changed? A lot is still the same, fireing into friendlys clear shot, elevated shot etc. Aim is now gone.

Your HP is basically your size +1, as it takes MORE damage then size to kill you. Most guys have 2 hp, bigger have 3-4. Vehicles seem to have 5 or more.

Missions like cards are now in the book only. You roll for stuff you need to do and some of it is secret. Much better again to keep cost down and balance things faster

Leaders each have a power you need to roll on a d6 to use, but they let you roll more dice each turn so long as they live. It makes them important now. 1 Leader per army. Most games are base 100 PTS

I also invested in the first wave, over 600$ worth of stuff. Literally have everything and more terrain then I know what to do with. This is a huge needed change as the game before was stale slow and boring. This is supposed to be a 30-45 min murder skirmish game where everything is quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zombie Marcs
msg tools
mbmbmb
only Prob I have with this new system is i cant use my mars attacks units with it. Sucks because i went almost all in just so i could use them in DZ :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highlord Tamburlaine
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would imagine if Mantic don't get to it themselves, the community will bring the Martians up to V2 standards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombiemarcs wrote:
only Prob I have with this new system is i cant use my mars attacks units with it. Sucks because i went almost all in just so i could use them in DZ :/

I thought I heard they would - think it was in the Warpath KS as they sold Martians as add ons in that so would presume they will update them for Deadzone & Warpath/Firefight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A while ago I asked about this on facebook and this is the response I got:

Quote:
Mark Smith: The RC will be writing the lists for them, we'll work on them once other work is done (probably shortly after DZ:I ships).

Mark Smith: Will most likely be done as a .pdf download.

I don't know who this Mark Smith is.... presumably on some Rules Committee?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.