GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,031 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Panzer Grenadier: Eastern Front» Forums » General

Subject: New to this rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi there,

I've just acquired The Kokoda Campaign, which is described as a complete introductory boxed game for PG.

I have never played PG before, I'm pretty much a novice to hex/counter wargaming ...

Where do I start ?!

A thorough read through of the enclosed rules (4th edition) followed by the introductory scenarios seems to make sense to me ..

Would that be people's best advice ..?

I've never played PG before , so was hoping to find maybe some video support on how to play, but noticed the video section here (and for the Kokoda Campaign) was empty ..

Any pointers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Oxley
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try setting up the shortest scenario and work through the rules for a turn or two, then reset and try it again. Also, you might join http://pg-hq.com/myPGHQ.php where many of the authors are members and can reply to your rules questions as they come up. You may also find players in your area who are already members there. There are several members who do Skype games, and one may offer to do a Skype training game. I've played over 200 games so far and have to say I learn something new, often something I've overlooked, each time I read through a rules question on the forum.

Tom Oxley
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stadel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its obviously easier to learn from an experienced player but to learn from scratch, I would start small and add bits as you get familiar with the rules. First, infantry only ... then add artillery, then tanks, etc ...

This might help to get you started:

http://www.avalanchepress.com/pdf/PanzerQuickstudy.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost all Panzer Grenadier games are complete, in that everything you need to play all the scenarios is included. You can use elements of somje games in others, especially in homebrew scenarios, but the published scenarions are self-contained.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

+1 for PG-HQ - great community of Panzer Grenadier players, annotated rules, lots of other good stuff.

As far as Kokoda Campaign goes, I would just start with the introductory scenario and use the optional rule to ignore elevation lines on the map. It allows you to focus on the basics game mechanics first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks folks, these suggestions are really helpful :-D One reason I plumped for the Kokoda box, apart from the decent 2nd hand price, was the fact I read it really only dealt with infantry on the whole, so a good way to ease in..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Redcap
England
Higham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim,

Not sure anybody has highlighted it here, but Kokoda Trail IMO is a really awful starter for PG. Jungle can get terribly bogged and morale levels can be frustrating. Before coming to a conclusion on the system, I thoroughly recommend you try out a European theatre scenario or two. This will give you a much better idea of movement, ranges, LOS etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nick P
United Kingdom
london
flag msg tools
APL withdrew Airborne because it failed to show PG in its best light - and then issued this! I have the original Kokoda book and I find the scenarios devilishly dull, with infantry versus infantry in jungle it's slow-moving and lacking in variation. Frankly PG doesn't do urban fighting and jungle fighting very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maybe I should wait for Invasion '44 ??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lange
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jim, I'm a relative (< 3 mos) newcomer to the Panzer Grenadier series myself. I started with the free introductory set:
http://www.avalanchepress.com/PlayPG.php
which also has a free VASSAL online module:
http://www.avalanchepress.com/4EVASSAL.php to learn the ropes. The introductory set sticks to the basics and I found it helpful to learn the core elements of the game system.

I've since picked up a copy of Eastern Front which has a wonderful variety of scenarios and unit types, yet without the extremely challenging terrain found in the jungle and cave maps.

I would be happy to work through a few games on VASSAL sometime. I'm certainly not an expert at this point, but I can help you with the things I do understand well. Sometimes working through the rules together helps both players with a better understanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InGA
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See if APL is still discounting Afrika Korps and Desert Rats. I personally like both of these and they are / were on huge discount!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
michaelangelo wrote:
Hi Jim, I'm a relative (< 3 mos) newcomer to the Panzer Grenadier series myself. I started with the free introductory set:
http://www.avalanchepress.com/PlayPG.php
which also has a free VASSAL online module:
http://www.avalanchepress.com/4EVASSAL.php to learn the ropes. The introductory set sticks to the basics and I found it helpful to learn the core elements of the game system.

I've since picked up a copy of Eastern Front which has a wonderful variety of scenarios and unit types, yet without the extremely challenging terrain found in the jungle and cave maps.

I would be happy to work through a few games on VASSAL sometime. I'm certainly not an expert at this point, but I can help you with the things I do understand well. Sometimes working through the rules together helps both players with a better understanding.

Hi there, apologies for the delay in writing . Life took over! But I very quickly wanted to thank you for your kind offer.. Unfortunately I am not proficient enough on Vassal, (indeed I have not uploaded the system since upgrading to a new laptop), to make this work sadly. (I also find carving out the time to play opponents on Vassal is near impossible for me). but once again thank you for your offer.

After placing Kokoda back on the shelf in April, I have just secured a 2nd hand copy of the Eastern Front box (the version with the tank on it and lots of square shapes sweeping into the corner), along with a new copy of Invasion 1944.

I'm going to attempt to work my way into these from the starting scenarios and build up slowly ..

Is there a huge difference between the Eastern Front version I have acquired and the newest version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.