GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,246 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Small City» Forums » General

Subject: Expansion clarification and advise rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 5 or 6 listed on bgg but only 4 on the designers site. Are some print and play or something? Also which ones are must have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're all on http://avstudiogames.com/en/small-city/8-small-city.html but the scroller at the bottom only shows 4 at once. Scroll left and right; you'll see them.

Edit: You can see them much more easily here: http://avstudiogames.com/en/12-small-city

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zefquaavius wrote:
They're all on http://avstudiogames.com/en/small-city/8-small-city.html but the scroller at the bottom only shows 4 at once. Scroll left and right; you'll see them.

Edit: You can see them much more easily here: http://avstudiogames.com/en/12-small-city

So the expansion pack doesn't include everything? Looks like it's missing the character meeple expansion and player boards 1

http://avstudiogames.com/en/small-city/23-small-city-expansi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I see your confusion now. Yes, I think you're exactly right: It looks like it lacks Small City: Player boards Expansion #1 – The Beach and Small City: Character Meeple Expansion 1 – The Political Activist, both of which were released previously. The four included in the bundle were all released simultaneously as a grand opening for the new website, so I'm sure Alban just assumed that most fans of the game would want all four of the new expansions together.

If you have the base game, and want it all, you can buy the bundle and the two others.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zefquaavius wrote:
Oh, I see your confusion now. Yes, I think you're exactly right: It looks like it lacks Small City: Player boards Expansion #1 – The Beach and Small City: Character Meeple Expansion 1 – The Political Activist, both of which were released previously. The four included in the bundle were all released simultaneously as a grand opening for the new website, so I'm sure Alban just assumed that most fans of the game would want all four of the new expansions together.

If you have the base game, and want it all, you can buy the bundle and the two others.

Enjoy!
]

I'm still debating the game, which expansions would you recommend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just realized that I inadvertently ignored your other question, as to which are must-have expansions. It all depends on what you want.

The alternate player boards provide different terrain and challenges without altering the rules much.

The political activist provides an interesting alternate "action" (political action, I guess ) choice, and basically can earn you some votes.

The godzillas… are chaotic — well, fairly predictable — destroyers of things. I haven't gotten to play with them yet, but they sure sound fun, and look great.

The big tiles expansion includes all kinds of stuff, such as palaces, recycling centers, you name it. This is the only expansion so far that adds new types of buildings.

Each of the above scratches a different itch for me, so I have them all (I'm an itchy guy, I guess).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please note: These are Carcassonne-style expansions — i.e. generally not intended to be mixed together. That said, the rules for each progressive expansion tells you what it's intended to work with, and some people have cheerfully used them all together anyway, I hear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
I'm still debating the game, which expansions would you recommend?

If you're still debating then honestly I would just go with the base game for now. There's a lot of game just in that, and it's pricey.

If you like it, then the new player boards and buildings expansions are the obvious choices.

That's not how I roll. If I decide to get it I'll want them. Plus they have to be ordered from over seas so need to decide before hand
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
That's not how I roll. If I decide to get it I'll want them. Plus they have to be ordered from over seas so need to decide before hand

Then it's easy - buy them all - you'll have a game with near endless replayability. The base game has enough to explore for many plays, but I am happy I got the expansions, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, LSD, are there any questions or considerations that would help you in your decision?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zefquaavius wrote:
So, LSD, are there any questions or considerations that would help you in your decision?

Has anyone addressed Tom Vassels criticisms about the game ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What are Vasel's complaints? I can tell you my personal answers (in agreement, disagreement, etc.) for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milena Guberinic
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Mina's Fresh Cardboard
mbmbmbmbmb
I would highly recommend the player board expansions because they have a huge impact on the way the game plays out without introducing many rules (as mentioned above). They greatly change the puzzle of the game (and yes, the game is essentially a competitive, somewhat interactive puzzle). The big tiles expansion is nice and offers you plenty of modular options to explore, but I personally prefer the player boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.