GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,220 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization» Forums » Rules

Subject: Fast Food Chains rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Gallant
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this look at all players units, mines, and farms or just the player building it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just the player building it. That's true for all wonders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Just the player building it. An age 3 wonder should net you 20 to 30 points. If it is easy to get more than that then you have misinterpreted how it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gallant
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason I ask is because other wonders specifically say "your" or the things "you" have in play whereas Fast Food Chains doesn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"Gird Up Your Loins, Like a Man!" ~God to Job
badge
"We're put on this earth to do a job. And each of us gets the time we get to do it. And when this life is over and you stand in front of the Lord... Well, you try tellin' him it was all some Frenchman's joke." ~Betsy Solverson
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
Just the player building it. An age 3 wonder should net you 20 to 30 points. If it is easy to get more than that then you have misinterpreted how it works.

Hollywood can easily score much more, right? Particularly with Shakespeare in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thespaceinvader -
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Redward wrote:
sfox wrote:

Hollywood can easily score much more, right? Particularly with Shakespeare in play.

It's certainly possible to get Age 3 wonders to score huge amounts (First Space Flight is the highest potential I believe), but getting them complete and satisfying their conditions to the absolute max usually occupies enough of your resources that your opponents can attack you in response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gallant
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why the different wording on Fast Food Chains then if it only applies to your units/mines/farms?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"Gird Up Your Loins, Like a Man!" ~God to Job
badge
"We're put on this earth to do a job. And each of us gets the time we get to do it. And when this life is over and you stand in front of the Lord... Well, you try tellin' him it was all some Frenchman's joke." ~Betsy Solverson
mbmbmbmbmb
thespaceinvader wrote:
Redward wrote:
sfox wrote:

It's certainly possible to get Age 3 wonders to score huge amounts (First Space Flight is the highest potential I believe), but getting them complete and satisfying their conditions to the absolute max usually occupies enough of your resources that your opponents can attack you in response.

Hollywood can score over 70 points with difficulty but can score over 50 with a good library/theater/Shakespeare combo.

First Space Flight is one point per level of technologies. Each level of technology costs greater than 3 science generally speaking. Can a player purchase that many tech cards?

If I did my math correctly than it would cost 136 science to get the highest level of each card type and would score 47 points.

I am not sure how much science can realistically get scored but it is certainly tougher to get 60+ points with First Space Flight than with Hollywood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:
thespaceinvader wrote:
Redward wrote:
sfox wrote:

Hollywood can score over 70 points with difficulty but can score over 50 with a good library/theater/Shakespeare combo.

First Space Flight is one point per level of technologies. Each level of technology costs greater than 3 science generally speaking. Can a player purchase that many tech cards?

If I did my math correctly than it would cost 136 science to get the highest level of each card type and would score 47 points.

I am not sure how much science can realistically get scored but it is certainly tougher to get 60+ points with First Space Flight than with Hollywood.

Building both tier II/III libraries and theaters and finishing Hollywood to score more than 40 points takes so much population and resources that it doesn't happen in games where opposition is competent. This also needs to be done before Age III ends if Shakespeare needs to be around, so you will miss a turn or two worth of resource production for the wonder, making it even harder to have the necessary resources. Usually Hollywood gets 24-32 points when you have 2-3 Movies and Elvis/Chaplin (I don't remember at the moment which one is in New Story).

With normal science production First Space Flight easily scores over 20 points, and if you had science leaders or early Computers or otherwise produced/stole a lot of science, getting over 30 is easy as well. The thing with First Space Flight is that it doesn't require you to do anything else. You will always have tech cards no matter what, so it's a good wonder to pick for anyone. Same goes for Fast Food Chains but in my experience it generally scores less than Space Flight, unless you have excess population from colonies/Ocean Liner/high food output which allows you to build several Agricultures/Bronzes in the last few rounds.

In the end I would say that the 20-30 culture per age III wonder is what they mostly score.

Regarding OP, I understand the wording could be misleading but there would be zero sense in making Fast Food Chains to scale by the number of players, and especially because it would basically guarantee 40 points even in a 2-player game, which would make it the best culture generator by far. And the card would be broken with 3-4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Moore
United States
Vallejo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In regards to OP. I do agree that its worded strangely but is on fact only your units, not all players combined. It would be almost an automatic win if it was all players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.