GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,483 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: What do you think of my list? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Hello guys,

I'm going to my first store tournament this weekend. I wanted your opinion on the list I'm using and what strategy I should use while playing it :

Soontir Fel (Push The Limit, Royal Guard Tie, Autothrusters, Targeting Computer)

Howlrunner (Swarm Tactics)

Omnicron Group Pilot

Academy Pilot x 2

What I try to do is usually fly my 3 fighters in formation on the right or left side, with Howlrunner in the back, starting slow. I like to have my shuttle going up front. I try to place my shuttle so it can shoot as much as possible or cause bumping as much as possible to my adversary. Soontir Fel usually does his own thing, I try to send him flanking or join him up with the fighters depending what I'm up against.

Thanks for your opinion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kelly
United States
Twentynine Palms
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its tough to justify a shuttle that doesnt emperor on it. It is just so slow, which makes it very difficult to rely on its firepower. Experienced opponents will keep it out of the fight till the end, & then just swoop around and kill it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
bkelly17 wrote:
Its tough to justify a shuttle that doesnt emperor on it. It is just so slow, which makes it very difficult to rely on its firepower. Experienced opponents will keep it out of the fight till the end, & then just swoop around and kill it.

I still find it's presence reassuring though among other ships who can all be one shotted. It's still 5 shields/5 hull for 21 points, it can divert a couple shots away from my other ships. Do you have a replacement suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Whitesell
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with shuttle as is is that it's very slow to turn and therefore very predictable. While it can be of some decent utility as a blocker, it benefits greatly from an engine upgrade if you're going to use it in that manner.

I like the more offensive Soonts build, but i still see him withering under TLT fire, as does your whole squad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shenmue_masta wrote:
bkelly17 wrote:

I still find it's presence reassuring though among other ships who can all be one shotted. It's still 5 shields/5 hull for 21 points, it can divert a couple shots away from my other ships. Do you have a replacement suggestion.

A shuttle with nothing on it adds very little value to this list. It's a low priority target. You won't be able to consistently fire with it. You'll get maybe a shot or 2 and then spend the next couple rounds turning it around.

Your best bet is to plug up your opponents flying lane, hope to cause a crash, and then just park it there. Either that, or make your opponent fly around it and set up your TIEs and Soontir to nail them as they avoid the shuttle. But, the shuttle is slow, and a good pilot can just avoid it. It also takes a lot of practice to be good at flying the shuttle.

There are other alternatives for 21 points. A PS2 TIE Advanced with the TIE/x1 title and accuracy corrector is a good option. You could use it as a flanker, as it doesn't need to fly in formation with Howlrunner. Use your actions for defense, and you have a dependable fighter.

You could drop the swarm tactics (probably not necessary anyway) to use a couple more points and add 2 more Academy Pilots. You could even try a Scimitar bomber with homing missiles, extra munitions, and guidance chips. That would be another durable flanker option, but also give you better maneuverability and firepower than the shuttle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
cordeiro wrote:
shenmue_masta wrote:
bkelly17 wrote:

A shuttle with nothing on it adds very little value to this list. It's a low priority target. You won't be able to consistently fire with it. You'll get maybe a shot or 2 and then spend the next couple rounds turning it around.

Your best bet is to plug up your opponents flying lane, hope to cause a crash, and then just park it there. Either that, or make your opponent fly around it and set up your TIEs and Soontir to nail them as they avoid the shuttle. But, the shuttle is slow, and a good pilot can just avoid it. It also takes a lot of practice to be good at flying the shuttle.

There are other alternatives for 21 points. A PS2 TIE Advanced with the TIE/x1 title and accuracy corrector is a good option. You could use it as a flanker, as it doesn't need to fly in formation with Howlrunner. Use your actions for defense, and you have a dependable fighter.

You could drop the swarm tactics (probably not necessary anyway) to use a couple more points and add 2 more Academy Pilots. You could even try a Scimitar bomber with homing missiles, extra munitions, and guidance chips. That would be another durable flanker option, but also give you better maneuverability and firepower than the shuttle.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably stick to my shuttle for familiarity reasons as I've been playing this list for a couple weeks, but I really like the tie advanced suggestion. Tie bomber and 2 academy pilots are also equally appealing. I'll try that out after the tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Martin
United States
Parkland
Washington
flag msg tools
if you are making your list on a squad builder you can usually link it. Do people not like that here?

never mind, it wont take the link

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/ lists each piece and the link is too long but http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/446689/francis works since it just saves the build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the very least, I'd take an Engine Upgrade on that Lambda. It'll make him a bit more of an offensive presence rather than a drifting obstacle.

Soontir Fel (27)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Targeting Computer (2)
Royal Guard TIE (0)

Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Fire-Control System (2)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Academy Pilot (12)

Academy Pilot (12)

Academy Pilot (12)

Total: 97

3 point bid, or you can throw it at the Lambda with a Rebel Captive or Weapons Engineer, or trade FCS + 3 pts for a Gunner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.