GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,608 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: What should I buy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Sharp
United States
Bloomingdale
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, the new app has gotten me excited about this game again. I recently sold my copy because it wasn't making it on the table, but I loved it when it did. I am looking at re-purchasing, and there are a lot of expansions that I haven't seen. I went to CSI and put everything in my cart, and it is coming in somewhere around $600, which isn't happening. I am willing to spend a few hundred though.

I'm looking for some advice on what I should focus on. I'll be playing mostly solo, maybe with my wife using the coop app. Miniature packs? Monster collections? Small expansions? Large expansions? What will give me the most bang for my buck?

Thanks for any advice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cesar Ramirez
Mexico
Puebla
Puebla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with the Shadows of Nerekhall and some of the hero and monster packs. Some of my favorites so far have been Bonds of the Wild and Crusade of the Forgotten. Even with just Heirs of Blood you should be having a blast. You might also want to invest in one or two Lieutenant pack if you want some nice miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the base game and Forgotten Lore and am looking at a order for the expansions. I own Descent 1 and ALL expansions so I think Hero/Monster packs are really a waste for two quests.

As the OP said where to start (in my case other than Hero/Monster Packs)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blakmagik13 wrote:
So, the new app has gotten me excited about this game again. I recently sold my copy because it wasn't making it on the table, but I loved it when it did. I am looking at re-purchasing, and there are a lot of expansions that I haven't seen. I went to CSI and put everything in my cart, and it is coming in somewhere around $600, which isn't happening. I am willing to spend a few hundred though.

I'm looking for some advice on what I should focus on. I'll be playing mostly solo, maybe with my wife using the coop app. Miniature packs? Monster collections? Small expansions? Large expansions? What will give me the most bang for my buck?

Thanks for any advice!

#1. I've heard the newest reprints of the second edition core set include "Heirs of Blood" as the core campaign, so I wouldn't buy Heirs of Blood until you know which version of the core set you've got.

#2. If you're mostly intending on playing with the app, then I suspect that the Hero and Monster collections will offer you the most bang for your buck then I'd probably recommend one of the big box expansions (Nerekhall or Labyrinth). (Thanks to cfmcdonald for reminding me that the big box expansions (Nerekhall and Labyritnth) ALSO comes with 4 hero classes each, which is pretty huge.)

For example: The Shadow of Nerekhall (arguably the best "big box" expansion for descent) comes with:
* 4 heroes (usable in app games)
* 4 hero classes (usable in app games)
* 3 monster groups (usable in app games)
* Several item cards (usable in app games)
* Several tiles (probably NOT usable in app games)
* Several overlord cards (almost certainly NOT usable in app games)
* A full campaign book (NOT usable in app games)
* Price tag: $60 (RSVP)

On the other hand, the Guardians of Deephall Hero and Monster Collection comes with:
* A rumor quest (NOT usable in app games)
* Price tag: $35 (RSVP)

So if you're going to play a significant amount of "standard" (non-app) Descent, Nerekhall is the better bargain: you're getting 4 classes, items, tiles, overlord cards and a full campaign for only $25 more.

But if you're ONLY going to play app games, then Deephall MIGHT be comparable: if you bought Nerekhall, you'd be paying $25 for 4 hero classes and a few item cards. But hero classes add a lot of variety to play, so... I'd still go with Nerekhall; your call.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordunborn wrote:
I just got the base game and Forgotten Lore and am looking at a order for the expansions. I own Descent 1 and ALL expansions so I think Hero/Monster packs are really a waste for two quests.

If you own all of Descent 1, your first move is easy: you want the Conversion Kit. It's cheap, and it'll let you use ALL your Descent 1 heroes and monsters in Descent 2.

I also own everything for Descent 1, so I was really grateful that FFG made the conversion kit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDonald
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldil wrote:

#1. I've heard the newest reprints of the second edition core set include "Heirs of Blood" as the core campaign, so I wouldn't buy Heirs of Blood until you know which version of the core set you've got.

#2. If you're mostly intending on playing with the app, then I suspect that the Hero and Monster collections will offer you the most bang for your buck.

For example: The Shadow of Nerekhall (arguably the best "big box" expansion for descent) comes with:
* Several item cards (usable in app games)
* Several tiles (probably NOT usable in app games)
* Several overlord cards (almost certainly NOT usable in app games)
* A full campaign book (NOT usable in app games)
* Price tag: $60 (RSVP)

On the other hand, the Guardians of Deephall Hero and Monster Collection comes with:
* A rumor quest (NOT usable in app games)
* Price tag: $35 (RSVP)

So if you're going to play a significant amount of "standard" (non-app) Descent, Nerekhall is probably the better bargain: you're getting items, tiles, overlord cards and a full campaign for only $25 more.

But if you're ONLY going to play app games, then Deephall is probably the better bargain: if you bought Nerekhall, you'd be paying $25 for a few item cards.

Your analysis excludes the fact that Nerekhall also gives you 4 more hero classes, which IMO are worth a lot more than new heroes, which are mostly not all that different from one another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Maxwell
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just FYI the map tiles ARE used by the app if you have the expansions, apparently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, go for the box box expansions first. New class decks are so worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldil wrote:
lordunborn wrote:

If you own all of Descent 1, your first move is easy: you want the Conversion Kit. It's cheap, and it'll let you use ALL your Descent 1 heroes and monsters in Descent 2.

I also own everything for Descent 1, so I was really grateful that FFG made the conversion kit.

LOL I have had that since they released it. Been sitting in my descent coffin box for years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Large expansion (Shadow of Nerekhall) + 1 Lieutenant pack to start
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the biggest bang for your buck are the Big Box Expansions, followed by the Small Box Expansions. Those will give you extra hero classes and tiles for use in RTL App (as well as full and mini campaigns to run either with an Overlord or an AI variant)

I'd then save your money for anything else later. Hero/Monster collections are nice for adding more heroes and monsters, but are just that (do include 2 quests that can be used as side quests in traditional campaigns). Heirs of Blood campaign book is a great campaign (if you don't get it included in a newer copy of the core game box). Lieutenant Packs IMHO really only give you the miniature to replace the cardboard tokens for Lieutenants; the Plot Decks in the Lieutenant packs are nice for an advanced Overlord player, but aren't really used in most AI Overlord variants nor any indication that they can be used in the RTL App.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cfmcdonald wrote:
Your analysis excludes the fact that Nerekhall also gives you 4 more hero classes, which IMO are worth a lot more than new heroes, which are mostly not all that different from one another.

Aw, hell. How did I forget those?

Thanks for the reminder--I updated the original post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldil wrote:
lordunborn wrote:

We don't have confirmation that the conversion kit is supported. Maybe you get the same effect by turning on all the hero/monster packs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hebert
United States
Petaluma
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only been playing Descent for about a year and only own a few expansions, so take my reply as you will...

I heartily recommend the Conversion Kit as the first add-on to Descent, since it gives the most bang for your buck. You get a ton of Heroes and Monsters for play, allowing the Hero team more options to pick from and the Overlord more tactical options for use in the Shadow Rune campaign (or Heirs of Blood if you have the reprint copy of Descent 2e). You can get away with using a lot of the base game mini's as proxies this way, and even more so if you have miniatures from RPG's and other games.

I think the prior posts are favoring Shadow of Nerekhall because the campaign story does a better job of drawing everyone in. I don't own it, so I can't confirm this. I went with Labyrinth of Ruin as my big box expansion because I was sold on having goblin witchers and carrion drakes as my Overlord minions.

The co-op quests are a lot of fun, but do feel a bit long. If the app brought your interest/attention back to Descent again, I'd say pick up either Forgotten Souls or Nature's Ire (both only require the base game to play). These should tide you over until the app comes out to automate the Overlord function.

Unless the Hero+Monster Collections are on sale, I'd either pass on them or pick them up only if you really like a particular miniature. You can get all the cards for these hero+monster collections (save for a few brand new monsters) by getting the Conversion Kit. There are a few revision changes between the Kit and the H+M Collection, but I don't think there have been a lot of critical changes?

For solo play, and playing with your wife, I'd suggest just starting small with: Conversion Kit, Forgotten Souls, and Nature's Ire. Those should tide you over for a while until the app is officially out. I think they will also net you the most utility in terms of solo and 2-player cooperative play.

After that, then I would suggest either getting A) a big box expansion for more heroes/classes or B) Lair of the Wyrm + Dark Elements. I'm hesitant to recommend the big box / small box expansions though because they won't offer much for you until the Overlord is automated by the new app (or alternatively you could download on the BGG files Red Jack's Automated Overlord Deck to do this for you).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goh Wei Shyong
Malaysia
Sungai Petani
Kedah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since OP wants a new restart, I would recommend getting the big expansion box. It comes with new map tiles, new campaign, heroes and monster which will give the most bang for your bucks. I will go for Shadow of Nerekhall first (Nate Parkes comment makes sense). If OP still haven't satisfied with your collection, then Labyrinth of Ruin.

Later on, you can get the small expansion for extra small campaign and some map tiles with 2 heroes and 7 to 8 monster figures. Just don't get Mists of Bilehall, it is for the OL player only (no heroes just monsters, 3 Lieutenants, map tiles and small campaign).

For Lieutenant packs, if you don't bother to buy, it will not put a dent in your game.

For the conversion kits, don't bother to buy because you can get it in Heroes and Monster collection. If you own Descent 1st Edition, then be my guest.

If you just want to have more campaign with just the base set, then Heir of Blood will do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.