GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,355 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Quadropolis» Forums » Variants

Subject: Using common architect pool in basic game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Hughes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
While playing this the other day we had a few of us that wanted to try the expert mode but had another player that really didn't want to.

We managed to sort a compromise of using the player boards and tiles for a basic game but using the common pool of architects from the expert mode.

We found this to be a fantastic change to the game without adding too much extra complication. It totally changed how players were making their selections, there was a lot more consideration of what other people were going for and blocking them.

I would highly recommend trying this if you have any players that are hesitant to try the full expert mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you wanna play the expert architect rule for teh base game, you'll need 4 eytra architects, though, as you can't use the ones with a 5 on it (or you use them as a kind of wildcard, so that you put the tiles anywhere you want on your board). Otherwies the last player in his last turn in a round (maybe even th last 2 or 3) will have no choice at all anymore and will often not be able to take any tile at all.

By the way, I would recommend using the base game architect rules if you play the expert version. Give every player an additional 5, of course (so he will have one left unused at end of round.).
This is how it was played at German Boradgame Team chamionship also.

I think the author mixed sth up here. The expert architect rules are indeed better fitting the base game (if you add 4 architects) and vice versa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea. You don't need any extra architect tiles if you are playing on the classic player board using the 16 common black architects: one through four.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I was thinking about doing the same cause I like the simplicity of classic version boards and buildings but prefer the expert architects common pool. Only problem I see is not having enough architects but that is easy fixed with putting those extra "5"s architects tiles one per each 1-4 architects stacks. Forget about number 5 on them and just use them as the same number as others he is stacked upon.

of course you only need this trick if you are playing 4 players game. For 2,3 player counts, you will have enough 1-4 architects to fill the requirements

cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.