GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,872 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
99 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Game to play with a non-gamer that lost a bet. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric O.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awhile back a co-worker that always asks if I played Monopoly lately, yeah he's hilarious, made a bet on a basketball game with me and lost. He bet that he would play a game with me. He thinks all games are Monopoly, Risk or Stratego. I would like to show him that games can be fun but don't want to cause stress by going too heavy. He likes sports and fishing. We will probably try to play over lunch at work. I'm considering the following games that are in my collection.

Bottom of the 9th
Forbidden Island
Forbidden Desert
Pandemic
Jaipur
King of Tokyo
San Juan
Ticket to Ride

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the games you listed the one I have had the best luck with non-gamers enjoying is King of Tokyo, but I think you should pull in a couple more people for that one.

I try to introduce them to very active games that include good graphics, then move them to more strategic games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Freeman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mayneric wrote:

Pandemic

I genuinely think this is the best bet when introducing the hobby to people that haven't played 'proper' games before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCaughey
United States
Woodland Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on your co-worker's personality, go with King of Tokyo or Ticket to Ride. If he's kind of a dick, the direct conflict aspect of KoT would probably appeal to him; if not, TtR might impress him by not being what he expects from a board game.

Stay away from the co-ops. Otherwise you're basically asking him to resent you since you're most likely going to be in charge explaining things and he's just along for the ride.

And it's been my experience that most Monopoliers drown with games like Jaipur and San Juan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have thought that someone who likes sport and bets on basketball games would be unimpressed by co-ops. (That may just be my bias speaking though.)

I'd say Jaipur or San Juan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swmalone wrote:
Of the games you listed the one I have had the best luck with non-gamers enjoying is King of Tokyo, but I think you should pull in a couple more people for that one.

I try to introduce them to very active games that include good graphics, then move them to more strategic games.

That was the one I would have leaned towards but yes it will probably be only the 2 of us, maybe our boss will join in but no guarantee.

Cardboard Conundrum wrote:
mayneric wrote:

Pandemic

I genuinely think this is the best bet when introducing the hobby to people that haven't played 'proper' games before

I really like this game for someone that is really interested in trying games but I'm worried that it might be too much since he is playing this as a lost bet payment.

MathMathCalculation wrote:
Depending on your co-worker's personality, go with King of Tokyo or Ticket to Ride. If he's kind of a dick, the direct conflict aspect of KoT would probably appeal to him; if not, TtR might impress him by not being what he expects from a board game.

Stay away from the co-ops. Otherwise you're basically asking him to resent you since you're most likely going to be in charge explaining things and he's just along for the ride.

And it's been my experience that most Monopoliers drown with games like Jaipur and San Juan.

Well we are all kind of dicks here but I was hoping to impress him without overwhelming him. Maybe Ticket to Ride because it is so easy to teach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Feel free to look at my collection too. Or even suggest something I don't have if you really think it is best. I always enjoy an excuse to tell my wife on why I "need" to buy a game. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the games you have listed, I'd go with Ticket to Ride; I've had great luck introducing it to guys at work over a lunch hour. If 1 or 2 others join y'all at lunch though, I'd go with Love Letter (noticed you have that one too)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Davej80 wrote:

Yeah, but isn't Forbidden Island like baby Pandemic? Wouldn't it be slightly easier and thus more enjoyable for a new person?

I haven't plaid it yet, so I don't really know.

Yes it is, it also takes less time so it might fit in over lunch better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
otha62 wrote:
Of the games you have listed, I'd go with Ticket to Ride; I've had great luck introducing it to guys at work over a lunch hour. If 1 or 2 others join y'all at lunch though, I'd go with Love Letter (noticed you have that one too)...

Oh, yeah! I didn't think of that one. I'll bring it along no matter what. Not like it takes up much room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the idea here is to show him a game that breaks his current idea that all games are the same. To me KoT borrows to many elements from yahtzee that its "not that different" although it is fun. Pandemic or Carcassonne would be my top 2 picks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When you say your coworker jabs frequently with "have you played Monopoly lately" i get the impression that he views board games as more of a kid's hobby and to a certain degree does not consider them to be an activity worthy of an adult's brain.

if that is true, i think you should really avoid King of Tokyo or Ticket to Ride, contrary to what others suggest. I enjoy both of those games and think they are great gateway games for people who already display some semblance of interest in gaming with you.
For someone who has no interest and even pokes fun at the hobby, I think KoT or TTR would be viewed as too childish and simple.

I would go with Bottom of the 9th or Pandemic from your list. Edit* - i got "Bottom of the 9th" confused w/ Baseball Highlights 2045. I thought it was the latter. I am not familiar with how simple or complex Bottom of the 9th is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Longstreet
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Columbia's Gettysburg: Badges of Courage
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aw, give the guy a break. If he's a sports fan he'll show more interest in Bottom of the 9th!

I don't think it's a hard game to teach and can be played in your Lunch Hour!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morency
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Since he's convinced that all games are like Monopoly I'd choose a game that will prove that they are not. From your collection I'd have him play Scoville.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming you will be playing 2 players...

Bottom of the 9th is good, especially since it was a sports bet and it is two players. Jaipur would be a good choice also.

If your collection on your profile is up to date if you go with a co-op I would choose Castle Panic or Forbidden Island and you each control two characters. Carcassonne plays decent at two players.

If you have a smaller map for Ticket to Ride that would be a good way to go. The US map is too big for 2.

I would avoid Pandemic because remember you will be playing this over lunch. You have to include time to teach and to eat.

You do have Dice Masters. If you have Rising Sun then the two player boards for Trains is fun.

If you can get a 3rd to play I would go with Castle Panic, King of Tokyo, or Ticket To Ride with big cities.

The Tiny Epics wouldn't be a bad choice either. Defenders works well with two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lmjarl wrote:
Aw, give the guy a break. If he's a sports fan he'll show more interest in Bottom of the 9th!

I don't think it's a hard game to teach and can be played in your Lunch Hour!

That was my thought. He would enjoy the "Strategy" of baseball and the fun of rolling dice while getting it played with in the allowed time frame.

You know, you guys are pointing out the reasons I was considering and afraid to use each of these games! It's like reading other people writing my thoughts online!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirpoonga wrote:
Assuming you will be playing 2 players...

Bottom of the 9th is good, especially since it was a sports bet and it is two players. Jaipur would be a good choice also.

If your collection on your profile is up to date if you go with a co-op I would choose Castle Panic or Forbidden Island and you each control two characters. Carcassonne plays decent at two players.

If you have a smaller map for Ticket to Ride that would be a good way to go. The US map is too big for 2.

I would avoid Pandemic because remember you will be playing this over lunch. You have to include time to teach and to eat.

You do have Dice Masters. If you have Rising Sun then the two player boards for Trains is fun.

If you can get a 3rd to play I would go with Castle Panic, King of Tokyo, or Ticket To Ride with big cities.

The Tiny Epics wouldn't be a bad choice either. Defenders works well with two players.

I do have Dice Masters, the first set, but fear it will feel to close to Magic to him which he also jokes about.

I don't really HAVE to win him over just would like him to walk away thinking "Hmmm, that was a little better and different than I suspected."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jcarmeeple wrote:

I would go with Bottom of the 9th or Pandemic from your list. Edit* - i got "Bottom of the 9th" confused w/ Baseball Highlights 2045. I thought it was the latter. I am not familiar with how simple or complex Bottom of the 9th is.

If you strip away the theme Bottom of the 9th is just a dice rolling game where sometimes you want your dice number to be higher than the other person's and sometimes you want it lower. However, the mechanics and flow of the game fit the theme very well where you actually use the theme to explain the game. The game can be 5 to 20 minutes long. This has become one of my favorite 2 player games since it plays quick, easy to teach, and does have a good feel of baseball.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rodriguez
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's an icon
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't suggest a co-op especially one you're familiar with.

off hand i would say Star Realms even though it's not in your collection.
- intro to deck building
- you can play it in an hour, maybe even get 2 games in
- it has interesting decisions to keep him engaged
- plays well with 2
- it's cheap and highly portable

What about movies? What themes does he like?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mayneric wrote:
Awhile back a co-worker that always asks if I played Monopoly lately, yeah he's hilarious, made a bet on a basketball game with me and lost. He bet that he would play a game with me. He thinks all games are Monopoly, Risk or Stratego. I would like to show him that games can be fun but don't want to cause stress by going too heavy. He likes sports and fishing. We will probably try to play over lunch at work. I'm considering the following games that are in my collection.

Bottom of the 9th
Forbidden Island
Forbidden Desert
Pandemic
Jaipur
King of Tokyo
San Juan
Ticket to Ride

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

I have a friend that likes sports and fishing. We've played pool and tennis and such so I started him with Tumblin-Dice.

Another friend that liked gaming with friends but didn't know about newer games- I gave King of Tokyo. I heard he got them all playing it- but it started with him already having a gaming group.

For social games, I usually start with Codenames or Cards Against Humanity.

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game can be fun for newer gamers if they already like BSG.

The most important thing is to know your clientele. I disagree with the people who recommend Pandemic, forbidden X and TTR over and over to all. I encountered those games when I was new to the hobby and had a terrible time. There isn't much game there at all. It was actually Race for the Galaxy that drew me into the tabletop gaming hobby and kept me here. Although, the game that got me into gaming was Magic: The Gathering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mayneric wrote:

That was my thought. He would enjoy the "Strategy" of baseball and the fun of rolling dice while getting it played with in the allowed time frame.

Here's another good reason to go with Bottom of the 9th. Like I said, this is coming from a sports bet so he will probably enjoy this. I normally have a lineup already setup so I can pull the game out and play quickly. This works well since I have played the game with many people who are not familiar with baseball.

However, for your co-worker, I would actually have him be the batter and have him choose a line up. Have him choose a good batter for lead and clean up. Explain the reason you have your most consistent hitter as lead off is to have a high chance of getting a run on base. Same goes with Bottom of the 9th.

My quick setup are the first two hitters are the one rookie with speed and one batter that gets an unopposed roll. These are more likely to get on base. Third is the one that fatigues the pitcher. Hopefully the pitcher won't change and be tired for the power hitter 4th in the line up. Then 5th is another batter good at creating high pitch counts to fatigue the relief. 6th another power hitter to take advantage of the fatigued relief.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with a sports game that is easy to teach. In my mind the goal should be for him to have fun, not to "teach him a lesson"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also mention that games can last half an hour and be fun, which is frequently not the case with risk, monopoly, and stratego.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've generally found matching the "sports themed game" to "sports inclined person" to be a giant fail. The game qualities just have none of the same qualities watching/playing the sport does.

Just pick the best game for the job, which out of those you've listed is either Pandemic or Ticket to Ride.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When hoping to convert a non-gaming adult, I would probably stay away from co-ops. I personally like them, but a lot of people won't appreciate trying to beat the game itself instead of other players.

I would avoid San Juan as well, although I think it's a great game, because there are a lot of card abilities to keep track of for somebody who isn't used to that sort of thing.

King of Tokyo is terrible with only two people, so I definitely wouldn't go with that unless you can get a few other co-workers to join in the fun.

Jaipur is a really fun little card game, but I don't know if it would really change someone's opinion of the hobby. There are a lot of simple card games out there, and although it may be one of the best, I question whether Jaipur really shows the possibilities of modern board games.

I haven't played Bottom of the 9th, so I can't comment about that one. Ticket to Ride is popular, but I am not a fan, so it's hard for me to recommend it.

So, having shot down most of your list, what are we left with? Looking over your collection, I would strongly encourage you to try Carcassonne. I know it might not seem like it at first, but that game just seems to flip a switch for people like nothing else I have tried. I have converted total non-gamers into avid ones thanks to that game. Perhaps it's the novel concept of building the "board" as you go, the cute tile artwork, or the anticipation when drawing your tile each turn - I don't know - but it just works.

The only caveat would be to play without farmers for the first time, and only explain them to him once you have a finished game on the table and you can show him exactly how many points placing farmers in various spots would have gained him.

Best of luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.