GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,926 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Removing paint from minis? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Heiret
United States
Redmond
WASHINGTON
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've come to terms with the fact that I have neither the time nor the skill to paint my IA minis properly. Can anyone recommend a chemical/technique to get my poorly applied primer coats off without dissolving the figure underneath?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan M.

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had some stormtroopers that fuzzed over and I let them sit in Simple Green cleaner for an hour or two and then used a toothbrush and it came off super easy.

I am always hesitant to let them sit too long in anything but the Simple Green has been good to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary McCloskey
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have used super clean. It works well and does not hurt the plastic. Plus you don't have to scrub that hard. I tried simply green and it did not do a thing after the figures sat in it for a day. Here is what it looks like and you can get it at walmart.

https://www.zoro.com/superclean-cleaner-degreaser-multi-purp...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted W
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
Sight beyond sight!
badge
*Shrug* Wampas, am I right?
mbmbmbmbmb
I primed and painted my Storm Troopers, and didn't like the end result (primer on too thick, sloppy technique on the fine details). I am not very good, and need a lot more practice. soblue

I sealed them in a glass jar with a solution of 1/3 Dettol and 2/3 water for a month (I was so disheartened with the results I procrastinated opening those guys like crazy) - it made the paint and primer goopy and fairly easy to remove with an old toothbrush, I got about 95% of the paint off with light scrubbing and the plastic of the minis seems not at all the worse for wear.

My only caveat - maybe wear rubber gloves if you don't want your hands to stink like Dettol for a day after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Marr
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used 'simply green' it's some all purpose cleaner.

I'd soak them for 30-45, scrub them with an old tooth brush under water, then soak again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with using Simple Green. It's all I've used in the past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.