GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,891 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Airlines» Forums » General

Subject: Should this game be renamed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Thomasson
United Kingdom
Near Tring
flag msg tools
badge
Good boy, Braetach!
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that there are two existing games called Airlines, and Alan R Moon's 1990 game Airlines is pretty well known, it seems only sensible for Golden Egg Games to consider renaming this game to avoid confusion between those game and Alan's 2011 release Airlines Europe.

Duplication is sometimes inevitable, but as it is so easy to find out here whether a name is already in use, releasing a new game with the same name as previously published games does not seem to be necessary or helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elad Goldsteen
Israel
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Keith,

We decided to go with this titles as it suits the game perfectly.
The game is very different than the old titles and a 26 years gap in between should be enough to differentiate and approved by most players.

Thanks for posting,

Elad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Thomasson
United Kingdom
Near Tring
flag msg tools
badge
Good boy, Braetach!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, your choice, obviously, but the confusion will still exist. The original airlines might be that old, but Airlines: Europe is only 5 years old. It will make it harder for people to find your game here and in other places.

Tell you what, I'm going to write a series of fantasy books, and given the it is over 50 years since the name was last used on a new trilogy, I'm going to call the series The Lord of the Rings. No chance of confusion there...

Okay, sarcasm over, but I think it is a bad idea to deliberately duplicate names. Adding an extra word would help enormously, something like Airline Management, or Building Airlines.

I would be interested to know if you duplicated the name by accident and were then reluctant to give it up, or if you knew of the other games when you chose Airlines as a name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with Keith here. I stumbled across this game's BGG entry thinking it was a new edition of Alan Moon's Airlines game until I read the description.

From reading the description of the game, I would recommend "Airline Empires" for the name. It doesn't look like it's taken yet, it avoids confusion with previous titles, it fits the theme well, and I think it just sounds good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Burnett
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Keith and Danny. I initially didn't read deeply into the announcement email since I figured it was a remake of Airlines / Airlines Europe, and I already have that.

Adding another word to the title would help delineate it.

I recall hearing that having a colon in the title increases sales. I have no idea if that's true, but it does allow you to better define aspects of the game within the title. Like "Airlines: Hubs of Love". If you use that title, I will expect a free copy of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Agree with the OP and the above two posters. Of course, I made a similar plea when GMT decided to go with "Mr. President" for an upcoming title and was ignored. Plus, you have two fairly recent games (in the last 10 years) with the same name, "Founding Fathers" and no one seems to be complaining.

FWIW, the second Airlines game (not the Alan Moon one) was a huge disappointment. There were supposed to be 64 different airports represented, but they only produced 16 in the first small box edition, then 16 more in Airlines 2, but after that there was no Airlines 3 or Airlines 4 so half the airports are not represented, plus the gameplay was not the best, to put it nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gilmore
United States
New York
flag msg tools
There has been a trend with the last few Golden Egg Games for a simple descriptive game title with a more involved subtitle. I think it's clean and it fits the theme. I respect those who would want more exotic Titles though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Tricorder wrote:
I have to agree with Keith here. I stumbled across this game's BGG entry thinking it was a new edition of Alan Moon's Airlines game until I read the description.

From reading the description of the game, I would recommend "Airline Empires" for the name. It doesn't look like it's taken yet, it avoids confusion with previous titles, it fits the theme well, and I think it just sounds good.

I agree. I saw Aldie and a friend back a game called "Airlines" on KS and immediately had to click to jump on board for a Alan Moon reprint. That is until I see it is a GEG game trying to cash in on the title from an established sought after game. I avoid GEG like a case of Chlamydia (would actually prefer that over a giving Elad any more money but that is another story).

I feel that this is a title that is pretty misleading and while it cannot be proven may have been done on purpose to cash in on said popularity.

For those backing I would wait until he gives you a full set of the "Limited" rules before you back that as he has been promising playable rules for his other disaster Karez for years now. We only hear from him when he wants to start another kickstarter. I would be highly suspect there is a playable game in the limited edition other than the base game until I read the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand Köther
Germany
Bochum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Airlines" by Avalanche Press even precceeded Alan Moon's game, so ... who's to blame, if at all?

There are other games bearing the same title, not a good choice in any way, and songs as well. Blame it on the Boogie, or the Booze ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
lucyfer wrote:
"Airlines" by Avalanche Press even precceeded Alan Moon's game, so ... who's to blame, if at all?

It did not - it was published eight years later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alistair Davidse
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the name of the game really matters since very few people actually have a copy, and those that do have an incomplete version that can't be played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand Köther
Germany
Bochum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:
lucyfer wrote:

It did not - it was published eight years later.

Ooops, sorry, my fault - anyway, that's the third game with that title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Citanul wrote:
I don't think the name of the game really matters since very few people actually have a copy, and those that do have an incomplete version that can't be played.

Why ANYONE would give Elad money is beyond me. People have been warning others about this crook for years yet he still convinces people to give him money then he partially delivers a product and moves on to the next kickstarter. I am shocked kickstarter even lets him create projects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.