GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,455 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » General

Subject: How to respond as USSR to this opening sequence rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Conley
msg tools
Recently I played a game as the USSR and had a very unfortunate opening. First, I didn't have good headline options (I think I headlined Asia Scoring for 1vp, plus I was low on ops in my other cards) and the US player surprisingly headlined CIA Created. After revealing my hand, my opponent couped Iraq simply to lower defcon, but he got lucky and rolled a 6 which removed my one influence there. On my first AR I played a 4 ops card to coup Iran, rolled a 1, which removed his one influence but didn't gain me any influence. On US AR 1 my opponent sealed up Jordan which essentially cut off my access to Iraq/Iran/Pakistan. At that point it was pretty easy for him to work his way up to Thailand and also gain some good ground in the ME. I know the situation was very unlikely, however it seemed to be extremely crippling to a supposedly dominant early war USSR. Was the AR 1 coup of Iran not the right choice here? What would be the best way to respond getting kicked out of Iraq in the headline?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bunyan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may as well ignore Asia for now, since you just scored it. Push for domination in the Middle East, and there's always a route to Iran through Afghanistan to Pakistan. Lebanon, Syria and Egypt should be yours. It really depends on what other cards you have, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stick with it, knowing that an opponent who uses CIA to coup Iraq is bound to make some more mistakes down the road, it will just be your job to exploit them when they happen.

As the previous poster said, you always have access back into Iran and Asia via Afganistan.

Match his presence in ME using Syria.

Take South Korea preventing US dominance of Asia.

Keep fighting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
Since Asia scoring is gone Europe is now relatively more valuable. Getting access to France (which forces your opponent to take it pre-Suez/DeGaulle) should be a priority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamestown Pansies
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious to know why your opponent wanted to lower DEFCON. To protect Italy maybe?

Usually lowering defcon assists the USSR as Decol and Destal are powerful and if the USSR controls defcon well they can use those two cards to take Africa and SA.

Also as was asked earlier, why did the US player headline CIA? I did once but that was an exception to the norm I think.

Edit - also you still have Syria and can play into Afghanistan if need be. So you are not entirely locked out of the ME.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
infinitejester00 wrote:
Recently I played a game as the USSR and had a very unfortunate opening. First, I didn't have good headline options (I think I headlined Asia Scoring for 1vp, plus I was low on ops in my other cards) and the US player surprisingly headlined CIA Created. After revealing my hand, my opponent couped Iraq simply to lower defcon, but he got lucky and rolled a 6 which removed my one influence there. On my first AR I played a 4 ops card to coup Iran, rolled a 1, which removed his one influence but didn't gain me any influence. On US AR 1 my opponent sealed up Jordan which essentially cut off my access to Iraq/Iran/Pakistan. At that point it was pretty easy for him to work his way up to Thailand and also gain some good ground in the ME. I know the situation was very unlikely, however it seemed to be extremely crippling to a supposedly dominant early war USSR. Was the AR 1 coup of Iran not the right choice here? What would be the best way to respond getting kicked out of Iraq in the headline?

If the coups were only Iraq and Iran on Turn 1 it should be DEFCON 3, and there is the option of a coup in Jordan.

Other option is use a 2 ops for 0/1 Afghanistan, 1/1 Israel. Now USA has to pick a side of the ME to defend: either Egypt (vulnerable to Nasser) or Iraq (vulnerable to Muslim Revolution in the mid war).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bunyan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alexdrazen wrote:
If the coups were only Iraq and Iran on Turn 1 it should be DEFCON 3, and there is the option of a coup in Jordan.

Other option is use a 2 ops for 0/1 Afghanistan, 1/1 Israel. Now USA has to pick a side of the ME to defend: either Egypt (vulnerable to Nasser) or Iraq (vulnerable to Muslim Revolution in the mid war).

I wouldn't coup Jordan - that's a lot of ops to unsettle a non-battleground, but 1 in Afghanistan and Israel is definitely good. Then if the US takes Egypt there's a coup available there.

The Iraq coup was still an odd move, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wei
China
flag msg tools
I can't understand why you coup Iran if you don't have any de-cards, a 6 may not hurt your opponent VERY much(he still has Egypt/Libya/Thailand, and have chance to re-coup), but you can't afford the price of rolling a 1, which means you might lost both Pakistan and Thailand (and also Egypt/Libya I think).

A suggestion might be: 1 W.Germany, 1 Isreal, 1 Afghanistan(since you have a 4 and wanna use it). Threatening France, Egypt, Pakistan at the same time and avoid being eliminated from ME. Also, your opponent headlined CIA means he didn't have ME Scoring in hand(I suppose he's experienced).

By the way, I'll put 1 Isreal, 1 Afghanistan with a 2, for I don't want to stimulate my opponent put 3 in France when I don't know how many OPs he has and I hope he'll put his precious IPs in Jordan/Greece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Valentine

Texas
msg tools
mb
You need to put 1 to Afghanistan, which will get you to Pakistan or Iran before your opponent. After that it all depends on your cards and what your opponent does, although as others have noted, Europe and Mideast are relatively higher priorities now that Asia has already scored. I wouldn't necessarily ignore Asia however. If you don't have a SEA access card, then your best bet to keep your opponent from locking up SEA is to press him in Europe, but that might not be too effective as you said you have a low op hand. Your coup of Iran on AR1 was very risky, especially if you lack a SEA access card, as your opponent would have had the opportunity for the last coup there and if successful, would've got to Pakistan first and put you in trouble in Mideast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Conley
msg tools
Thanks for all the great advice. I've been playing primarily as US recently and like a dummy I forgot all about Asia/ME access through Afghanistan. I did proceed by playing into Israel/South Korea and pressuring for France in Europe as some of you suggested, but I'll really have to remember Afghanistan next time I play as the USSR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.