GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,032 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
43 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

The Godfather: Corleone's Empire» Forums » General

Subject: Not a Kickstarter, awesome! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joao F. Falaschi
Brazil
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
Common sense won't pay the rent and doesn't grow on trees, but splitting hairs can get you anything you need
mbmbmbmbmb
The game's Facebook page has posted that this will not be a Kickstarter, as per standard CMoN modus operandi. Isn't that awesome?

No exclusives
No need to "pre-order" and wait forever to get it
No endless discussion about KS and non-KS version

YAY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your still going to wait forever to get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao F. Falaschi
Brazil
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
Common sense won't pay the rent and doesn't grow on trees, but splitting hairs can get you anything you need
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyD wrote:
Your still going to wait forever to get it.

Sure, but you don't need to pay upfront.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emils E
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
Life goes on...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fairly excited as shipping to Latvia is not so friendly. Very much looking forward to this.
From E. Land Dice Tower interview seems a bit like Blood Rage, but I theme I would prefer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have liked a KS version much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C.
United States
Puyallup
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flaviorbs wrote:

I agree. CMON really knows how to take my money with Kickstarters. I am really looking forward to seeing more details about this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
Flaviorbs wrote:

This is a pretty pre-set story with pre-set characters hopefully--what could a Kickstarter do other than keep post-Kickstarter buyers from core members of the family that would've been stretch goals, or give them random schmucks you could care less about?

Look at the way people are treating TMNT before you wish a Kickstarter on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillean wrote:

Look at the way people are treating TMNT before you wish a Kickstarter on this one.

By backing it for over $860,000?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Flaviorbs wrote:

Yes because anti-consumer practices should be praised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Fisher
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flaviorbs wrote:

Same here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkyX wrote:
Flaviorbs wrote:

I think I have a different definition for "anti-consumer".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MarkyX wrote:
Flaviorbs wrote:

So you're saying backers are not considered to be consumers? Because I sure have made out great by backing and getting much more expansion stuff (even exclusives notwithstanding) than even the best discounts/clearance prices that the online stores could offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillean wrote:

You misspelled TWD. laugh

TWD made 685K, about 25% less than TMNT. Despite two major story arcs for more popular source material (ie. The Governor, Nagin), TWD's core set bad guys are no-names who literally had no names in the comic. One of them died in two panels and didn't even meet the main characters. Negative commens to character sculpts weren't responded to, possibly because license may have required higher-ups for approval (cf. Aliens vs. Predator). The core set only had two main characters, with the others sold in expansion sets and booster packs.

Also, with Eric Lang, of Blood Rage fame, designing The Godfather, it's likely the game will be a hybrid, with both Ameritrash and Euro elements. While Ameritrash lends itself towards incremental expansions (ie. more heroes and enemy factions), Euros often don't.

And, with KS, the game might cost $60 plus shipping, much more than retail prices at the OLGS. This puts the game at risk of being more than many Eurogamers will pay for a game, particularly one they haven't played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkyX wrote:
Flaviorbs wrote:

Man, I really thought I was a consumer...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kirk Agathon wrote:
MarkyX wrote:
Flaviorbs wrote:

Because offering exclusives content that will never be sold in stores by forcing people to buy a product blindly at inflated prices is such a grand idea and doesn't screw over a certain segment of consumers. Totally consumer friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkyX wrote:
Kirk Agathon wrote:
MarkyX wrote:
Flaviorbs wrote:

Because offering exclusives content that will never be sold in stores by forcing people to buy a product blindly at inflated prices is such a grand idea and doesn't screw over a certain segment of consumers. Totally consumer friendly.

No one is forcing anyone to back products on Kickstarter. The exclusives are offered to help make the items more attractive so people will back and the goals will be met.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkyX wrote:
Kirk Agathon wrote:
MarkyX wrote:
Flaviorbs wrote:

Please, define "forcing". My dictionary says something that renders that sentence of yours invalid. Your dictionary must have something different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Flaviorbs wrote:
MarkyX wrote:
Kirk Agathon wrote:
MarkyX wrote:
Flaviorbs wrote:

Please, define "forcing". My dictionary says something that renders that sentence of yours invalid. Your dictionary must have something different.

How else would you call "kickstarter exclusive content that will never, ever be available in stores and you MUST BUY IT RIGHT NOW to get it" then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
MarkyX wrote:
Flaviorbs wrote:
MarkyX wrote:
Kirk Agathon wrote:
MarkyX wrote:
Flaviorbs wrote:

How else would you call "kickstarter exclusive content that will never, ever be available in stores and you MUST BUY IT RIGHT NOW to get it" then?

A trap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkyX wrote:
Flaviorbs wrote:
MarkyX wrote:
Kirk Agathon wrote:
MarkyX wrote:
Flaviorbs wrote:

I have willpower. I call that "buy it if you want it".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkyX wrote:
Flaviorbs wrote:
MarkyX wrote:
Kirk Agathon wrote:
MarkyX wrote:
Flaviorbs wrote:

To me, that's the definition of consumer-friendly. They are giving consumers what they want, to the tune of millions of dollars. It is apparently "anti" you, as in, not what you want. That's fine, but it is absolutely not "forcing" or "anti-consumer", as I understand those words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkyX wrote:
Flaviorbs wrote:
MarkyX wrote:
Kirk Agathon wrote:
MarkyX wrote:
Flaviorbs wrote:

Once again, only you are thinking you are being forced. If you are the kind of person that must have everything, then that is a personal problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LC
United States
flag msg tools
badge
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmb
Kickstarter sent some goons to my house who, at gunpoint, made me back several games. True story.*

*Not actually a true story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Depew
United States
Edwardsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheddarpaw wrote:
MarkyX wrote:
Flaviorbs wrote:

So you're saying backers are not considered to be consumers? Because I sure have made out great by backing and getting much more expansion stuff (even exclusives notwithstanding) than even the best discounts/clearance prices that the online stores could offer.

The notion of limited time and exclusive offers is about creating artificial want, from a free market perspective it makes no sense to create exclusive or limited offers (note I mean free market, not pro-business). The rather explicit purpose in offers like these is to promote excitement over rational decision making. Not free market, consolidates power in the hands of the producers - so yeah, anti-consumer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
llyrghmnghyll wrote:
Cheddarpaw wrote:
MarkyX wrote:
Flaviorbs wrote:

The notion of limited time and exclusive offers is about creating artificial want, from a free market perspective it makes no sense to create exclusive or limited offers (note I mean free market, not pro-business). The rather explicit purpose in offers like these is to promote excitement over rational decision making. Not free market, consolidates power in the hands of the producers - so yeah, anti-consumer.

Nope. Promoting excitement, non-rational decisions, limited-time offers, and exclusive offers are all products and part of, the free market. As in, consumers are free to barter, and the seller is free barter. It would only be anti-consumer if the consumers weren't free to consume with mutual consent. Free market and pro-business are not mutually exclusive. They sell, I buy, both consensual, pro-consumer, pro-business: free market.

Just because you, or a group of you's, didn't get what you wanted, when you wanted, at the price you wanted, doesn't make it anti-consumer, or not a free market. Otherwise, every sale, or even basic exchange of goods, would be anti-consumer, because someone, somewhere is being excluded.

Going round and round here. I think we think differently about some very basic concepts.

Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to this game no matter how CMON wishes to sell it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.