GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,470 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

GMT COIN Series» Forums » General

Subject: Filipino COIN? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
john guthrie
United States
silver spring
maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i was reading a bit yesterday about the spanish-american war and the philippine revolution at that time.

then i remembered seeing a COIN series game playtested at WBC from 2(? - maybe 3) years ago that i believe was from this period. i even mentioned it somewhere on BGG back then.

so... is this still a work in progress, does anyone know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed - this is a worthy topic for COIN. The Philippine insurgency was the first such conflict the US faced in the 20th century, and it was taking place the same time as the Boer War, which itself is another excellent subject for the COIN series!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Unless I'm entirely mistaken what you saw was Iron Butterfly, but that's the Marcos era. A year ago it was still a work in progress but not ready for P500; since then I haven't heard anything.

/Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john guthrie
United States
silver spring
maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oerjan wrote:
Unless I'm entirely mistaken what you saw was Iron Butterfly, but that's the Marcos era. A year ago it was still a work in progress but not ready for P500; since then I haven't heard anything.

/Oerjan

weird, i had specifically remembered that it was *not* from the marcos era. but yes, that's the name.

now i have inagaddadavida running through my head...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Iron a Butterfly is still a work, though (as Oerjan notes) progress is uncertain.

Not COIN Series, but definitely counterinsurgency, there is this on the way from my friend John Poniske: Amigos and Insurrectos: The Philippine Insurrection 1899-1902.

Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawkeye
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if the Phillipine Insurrection would make a good subject for a two player COIN in the vein of Colonial Twilight: The French-Algerian War, 1954-62.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oerjan wrote:

/Oerjan

Seeing that BongBong Marcos almost get elected this week makes me wish that Iron Butterfly was ready to come out. I had read a bit about the Marcos Regime and People Power years ago but started reading more after the first time I saw mention of Iron Butterfly in a COIN discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
"Goes to show, you don't ever know, Watch each card you play and play it slow..."
badge
Charles Stoddart (artwork from Pax Pamir 2e)
mbmbmbmbmb
A photo from San Diego Historical Games this weekend:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
143245 wrote:
A photo from San Diego Historical Games this weekend:

Nice. I'm definitely interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Edelstein
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like this is happening! I haven't seen much info yet, besides that this is the Marcos era and it features 3 factions (Govt, Reformers, & Insurgents).

People Power: Insurgency in the Philippines, 1983-1986
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.