GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,336 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Best Treehouse Ever» Forums » Rules

Subject: Is This Tree House In Balance or Leaning to The Left? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Dong
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the Tree House below considered to be in balance or is it leaning to the left?

.X .O .O .X .O
. .X .X .X .X
. ...X .X .X
. .....X .X
. .......X

In balance argument: There are equal numbers of rooms to the left and right of center.

Leaning to the left argument: “Real world” physics. If one positions the “rooms” on a stick as illustrated with a fulcrum in the middle, the stick would lean to the left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Mirfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy of this only arrived this morning and I've read the rules but am yet to play so I may be wrong - but my understanding was that it depends on which order pieces are placed? If they are placed on the left it shifts the balance marker left, you then have to place in the centre (in rounds 3 and 5) or on the right?

So depending on the order of the cards played, yes it could be in balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Zagieboylo
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This treehouse is considered balanced, mostly for the reason that trying to account for lever arm effects during the game would be much too complicated. Yes, in real life, the room on the left edge of the fifth floor would be twice as unbalancing as the one on the right, but it's just not worth the effort to try to figure that out. In real life, trees very rarely fall over from the weight of a treehouse built in them, either. It just doesn't happen. Trees are sturdier than that.

In response to PeterM, order of play never affects balance. Play to the left of centerline moves the balance left, play to the right moves it right. Playing on the two centerline slots never affects balance, even if it's not balanced currently. Therefore you can always deduce the current total balance just by counting the cards on each side. At least, that's what the online rules say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This tree would be balanced. We're keeping the physics mechanics nice and simple for the family game. Otherwise we'd have to start factoring in the weight differences between the ball pit and the swimming pool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
False Maria
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
The first few times we played this game, we didn't think we'd need to rely on the "nut" to figure out the balance, but if you use it diligently, it's quite easy to keep track.

That said, there's been times where we forgot about moving the nut, or just weren't sure. We found the best way to do that is to imagine the tree literally split in half, and you can count how many cards and card halves are on each side of the level(s) in question. So in the example above, the top level has one full card on the right, and one full card on the left. Balanced :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.