APK
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
It's not a box, it's a...
badge
mbmbmb
Hi there. As a fan of Ryan Laukat's art and because I have a group that enjoys lighter worker placement and fantasy themed games I am considering purchasing this game.

I already have Champions of Midgard though and there seem to be quite a few similarities with both games having worker placement, resource management, and set collection. As well as the fantasy and monster fighting themes.

For folks that have played both The Ancient World and Champions of Midgard would you say they are different enough games to warrant owning both? Do you prefer one or the other? Do you see the Ancient World having more replay value?

Thanks for any input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Following this thread intently. I have and really enjoy Champions of Midgard and The Ancient World is a "1" on my wishlist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have them both and like them both.

There are many differences, but I do understand the similarities that you point out.

I am a huge fan of Ryan's games and his artwork and The Ancient World is absolutely one of my prized games.

A very large difference between the games is the lack of dice in The Ancient World. I personally love dice but many players do not and they will probably appreciate the deterministic game play in The Ancient World.

Sorry I haven't typed more, but hopefully others will chime in as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brokasaphasia wrote:
I have them both and like them both.

There are many differences, but I do understand the similarities that you point out.

I am a huge fan of Ryan's games and his artwork and The Ancient World is absolutely one of my prized games.

A very large difference between the games is the lack of dice in The Ancient World. I personally love dice but many players do not and they will probably appreciate the deterministic game play in The Ancient World.

Sorry I haven't typed more, but hopefully others will chime in as well.

I haven't played CoM, so I can't exactly speak to how big a role the dice plays in it, but I did want to mention that The Ancient World does indeed have dice. Whenever you defeat a titan, you have to roll dice to determine what damage (if any) the titan responds with. Granted, this is a small portion of the game, and likely a much smaller impact than the dice in CoM (again, not sure since I haven't played), but I felt it's important to mention it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, THOSE dice! hahah... we all just assume we ALWAYS get stomped on by those dice so it's pretty deterministic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
APK
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
It's not a box, it's a...
badge
mbmbmb
brokasaphasia wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I just watched Rahdo's runthrough of the Ancient World and the extended gameplay and, yes, definitely more deterministic as you said. It also looks like it might have a little more going on than CoM, so that's a plus. Most of the folks I play with do like to roll dice (I definitely do!), but sometimes it's nice to make plans and just know you'll succeed. It looks like there is also some fun strategy associated with worker number choice and blocking.

I've concluded that they're different enough games that for me owning both makes sense. I'm sure I'll pick this up at some point. The art is just fantastic!

If others have thoughts I'd love to hear them. Specifically any thoughts on longer term replayability of The Ancient World compared to CoM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apkendrick wrote:
I've concluded that they're different enough games that for me owning both makes sense.

Atta' boy, now THAT'S the BGG spirit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.