GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,702 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Traders of Osaka» Forums » General

Subject: Thoughts on 3 and 4 player games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
APK
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
It's not a box, it's a...
badge
mb
I am really enjoying this game. I have only played 2 player so far. It seems the consensus is that this is the best player count. That's fine for me, since most games for me are just with two. But given how much I enjoy the game I will likely try a 3 player at some point.

I am curious, though, is there anyone out there that enjoys the 3 player or even 4 player game? I imagine it's fairly different from 2 player. Recommended?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Duly
Canada
Langley
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've played this mostly 2 player as well but I have played one 4 player game.

It did feel quite different in terms of the players control over the delicate timing of the game. It felt like I had a lot less influence when making that push for goods to Osaka (or Edo? can't remember what the city is called) and also in preventing goods from becoming victim to the black tide. That being said only one play hasn't convinced me that there actually is less control, just that you would have to adjust the way you play the game at different player counts.

I plan to play it more at each player count to see where I get the most enjoyment out of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was smitten with this game when first playing it with three and four players before I ever got around to playing it with just two. Despite it's popularity with just two, I find it still plays really well with 3 or 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
APK
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
It's not a box, it's a...
badge
mb
Thanks for the replies. I am looking forward to trying this at other player counts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
The issues with 3 or 4 players vs. 2 are really kind of obvious.

As a 2-player game there is more planning and strategy possible as a result. The timing of everything is very tense. Each player is trying to outplay the opponent.

With 3 and 4 players it's the exact same game, but planning is much more random. You can predict what the opponent might do in a 2 player game. And you can adjust your play accordingly. Once you add a third player then you have much less ability to plan strategically. Your moves are generally dictated by the move just prior to your own move. In a 2-player game this is a tense back and forth. In 3 player game you generally must wait to formulate a plan until the player right before you is about to take his turn. Same again in a 4 player game. But in a 4 player game the market will be near impossible to predict. Therefor it's much more luck-based as opposed to the 2 player game.

That's not to say it's not a great game at the higher player counts. it's just a different game. Some people actually enjoy having ships and market being volatile and unpredictable.

The game is fun at any player count, but it plays differently at 2-players than 3 or 4.

There are a lot of multi-player games that are quite different at 2 player vs. other player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.