GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,270 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I got The Lost Legion recently, and ran through Volkare's Quest a number of times. That. Was. HARD! I was winning solo conquests in the base set pretty much all the time, but it took me five tries to beat Volkare. I tried with Wolfhawk as much to learn how she works as anything.

A lot of the initial difficulty probably involves unlearning some of the lessons from the base set. Ranged Attack is now your friend in a big way, where it really wasn't all that helpful in city conquest-based scenarios because so much was fortified. Some of the units that don't look all that good at a first glance are really fantastic (Scouts, this shout out is for you!).

On the other hand, though, a lot had to fall right for me at the end to even pull off the one win. I was able to conduct my fight against Volkare himself from a Magical Glade, which was VERY helpful. I had picked up Delphana Masters from a refugee camp (with help from Norowas's extra unit skill; can't remember the name), also very handy. I needed multiple abilities from them to come through the first round in good shape, having taken out half the army (one Draconum and the gray and white tiles). Tremor and another spell (can't remember the name off the top of my head - White, removes resistances and does 2 Ranged) were also key, as was the fact that the Delphana Masters and another unit were physical resistant and were accordingly able to keep the Orcs off me at no cost, while yet another ability from the Delphana Masters kept the remaining Draconum from attacking. So I've eaten no damage except one from Volkare himself (which will go away thanks to the glade), and as a kicker, I ready the Delphana Masters using another Norowas skill I've picked up. It took me two more attacks to finish him off, but I ended up with no wounds in my deck thanks to the Regeneration AA (which also reactivated my Fire Golems) and the glade. All the extra mana I had floating around from earlier uses of Offering was also incredibly helpful.

That said, I don't know how I could have done without ANY of those pieces, and there were a lot. I can't even imagine how you do it against a faster or tougher Volkare than the lowest difficulty.

I'll have to try Volkare's Return next. Now that I see how it worked out, that might have been easier to start with; since you do end up wanting to take out the city first there, it probably requires less of a strategy shift from solo conquest, but I went with Volkare's Quest since it seemed a little more straightforward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Return is a little easier to get to grips with, I think. You will get to the point where you pretty much can't lose on Daring/Fair, and eventually you'll be comfortable even with Legendary/Tight. I'm honestly not sure if I've ever played Legendary/Thrilling solo, as I prefer to play with others.

Anyway, that sounds like bragging, which was not my intent. Hope you enjoy the journey!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray PG
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
Finished my first Solo Volkare's Quest as well, but I left out all the new spells, artifacts and units from the expansion(basically everything except Volkare and the replacement cards) as I still feel I have so much to do and learn still in the base game and as you hardly get any spells / artifacts playing solo it's all a bit too much imho.

I won by cheating a little bit on my very last turn, Volkare due to pure luck moved 2 forest tiles away from me (at night!) while I just beat his army up till one last green enemy remaining. I lacked the movement points to catch him one tile away...but taking out his last unit with a ranged attack was all I had to do. I had A LOT of wounds. It is a rather difficult scneario, I agree, by the time I got to the core tiles I had to turn back to catch up with him, I had no time whatsoever to engage a city or anything like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fals shadow
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't have done it! Played solo at Heroic/Tight (both mid) and never got a single chance! I consider myself a good Mage Knight (player), but this scenario seems really imbalanced (or should I say much harder then the others). I've got no solid problem with Return as well with any other scenario in all three boxes, but this one is terrible. I even played it for a second time during the very same day, which I have never ever done before!

Though I still had very good and thrilling experience, almost killed myself and all units thowing myself at Volkare. He is a real b***h, I hate his guts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fals shadow
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally killed Volkare in Quest! Used three keeps and ambushed him with Temporal Portal near them. That was a third time. Still Wolfhawk, mid-mid difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fals shadow
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PS: Sorry about that but you can't hire Delphana Masters anywhere else but the city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
falsshadow wrote:
PS: Sorry about that but you can't hire Delphana Masters anywhere else but the city.
You can use a refugee camp; the only limitation is that you cannot recruit them with any other means apart from interaction. Just at the refugee camp they cost a whooping 16 influence.

MK LL Rulebook, p. 5 wrote:
Delphana Masters are the ultimate Unit, and you really need to convince them if you want them to join your cause: The symbol says the only way to gain them is through interaction (in a city or a Refugee Camp). They cannot be recruited by Call to Glory Spell, stronger effect of Banner of Command Artifact or chosen as a combat reward. Also, they cannot be a target of the Call to Arms Spell.

I reckon that Norowas is a bit stronger on Volkare scenarios, as one has to conduct fewer fortified assaults, which can really hurt reputation. Very eager to try him out, I've won Volkare's Return with Wolfhawk and Tovak over the last days and Norowas is next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, if I recall (it's been a while now) I used Norowas's special command token (reduces cost by 5 - again, if I recall correctly) and a couple big influence cards to get them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.