GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,702 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Pokémon Trading Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: My Budget Pokemon Cube rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
robot romeo
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends and I love playing booster draft, but at $15-25 a person it is just too expensive. So I decided to build a cube. The most I play with is four people so I knew I was going to make a very small cube. I figured since in booster draft you end up with a 60 card pool (6 boosters) to make a 40 card deck, that I would make the main deck 240 cards. I also wanted to do this as cheaply as possible, so I used what I had available.

I don't collect the cards, but I do pick up theme decks every once and a while. You can find them pretty cheap on eBay or Amazon sometimes. I had 7 theme decks, all from the Black & White series.

This gave me plenty of Pokemon, trainers, and energy to choose from every type, and important for me, multiple copies of the same card. (I decided to go with B&W so I didn't have to mess with the additional Fairy type.) I also ordered a couple dozen extra cards to fill in the gaps from CSI, mainly for the Dark and Steel types.

I decided to use 70 Trainers/Supporters/Tools. That left the main deck at 170. So among the 9 different types including Normal that worked out to 19 cards for each type except Normal which had 18.
I made sure each type had:
a Stage 2 line of 1-2-3
a Stage 1 line of 2-3 (x2)
and a stronger Basic with 3 copies (2 in the Normal).

I also found some extra basic energy cards that I got from a deck shield so I had enough to have at least 20 of each of the 8 types, which is plenty for 4 decks.

This setup has worked really well so far. I've played with 2, 3, and 4 and you get a good variety of types and enough trainers to make a decent 40 card deck with search and draw capabilities.

I'm not sure how much it cost to build because I just had the theme decks lying around, but I would guess, including 500 sleeves, it would be around $100. So it will pay for itself pretty quickly. So if you want to have the fun of a booster draft and deck building, but don't want to shell out the money every time, a Pokemon cube might be the answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Training field technicians at trade school level
badge
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it."
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!

Question: how does such a simulated booster draw work? Do you just shuffle all 240 cards together and deal every player 60 random cards? Or are there prerequisites to the distribution of Pokemon, Energy and Trainer cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robot romeo
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, both. We put the energies to the side and then shuffle up the whole 240 card deck.

Then we either just get 60 random cards or simulate getting booster packs by giving everyone a hand of 10 cards and then passing them draft style among all the players, taking one at a time. And then we do that an additional 5 times to get to the 60 cards. We prefer the drafting because you can pick and choose the types you want to build a deck with.

Once we have all 60 cards then we build decks, taking as much of whatever energies that we want, but making sure our deck is only 40 cards by the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm not as sure about drafting cubes but I know there's a rarity distribution in each booster pack that people usually try to simulate in their cube. So, rather than just shuffle all the cards, maybe fist shuffle rare cards and put one in each pile, then uncommons, put a few in each pile, fiannly shuffle commons and finish each pile. Then everyone grabs one of these piles and start drafting (I guess you'd have a total of 24 piles?).

Ive only drafted Netrunner and Magic. Id be concerne about not getting correct evolutions when drafting in Pokemon.

Otherwise, I'd say go for it. Looks like you're doing something really cool here. Let us know how it works out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robot romeo
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ACGalaga wrote:
So I'm not as sure about drafting cubes but I know there's a rarity distribution in each booster pack that people usually try to simulate in their cube. So, rather than just shuffle all the cards, maybe fist shuffle rare cards and put one in each pile, then uncommons, put a few in each pile, fiannly shuffle commons and finish each pile. Then everyone grabs one of these piles and start drafting (I guess you'd have a total of 24 piles?).

Ive only drafted Netrunner and Magic. Id be concerne about not getting correct evolutions when drafting in Pokemon.

Otherwise, I'd say go for it. Looks like you're doing something really cool here. Let us know how it works out!

In my experiences in Pokemon draft, it's normal not to have a complete evolution line. That's why some play Mutant Evolution, where you can evolve any Stage 1 onto any Basic as long it's the same energy type, and so forth with Stage 2s. So it's pretty common to play with mainly Basics and a couple Stage 1s. That's why I have a ratio of 12 Basics, 6 Stage 1s, and 1 Stage 2 for each type. I wanted the chance of pulling off a very powerful Stage 2 to be pretty rare, like it is in booster draft. And more low powered cards are fine when you only play with 4 prizes.

And speaking of rarity, because I did this on the cheap, I probably have less than 10 rare cards in the whole deck. But pulling them out of the deck would be pretty fun, like a special final hand to draft. I'll try it out. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.