GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,971 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » General

Subject: Difference between Imperial Assult rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at some of the previews on FFG's site. This game, other than the theme, is completely different. It's a strategy territory game, more akin to Risk than to IA.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on if you are playing Skirmish mode or Campaign mode, Imperial Assault is either a head-to-head tactical battle game, or a head-to-head tactical "dungeon crawl" style game where the hero characters progress through a game. Pseudo-RPG-ish (very pseudo). Imperial Assault is much like Descent.

Rebellion, on the other hand, is a more grand-strategy type game, involving a more galactic scope.

They are really very, very different games. Kinda like comparing Ticket to Ride with Settlers of Catan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
To dip into wargame parlance a bit, this game is grand strategic, while Star Wars: Imperial Assault is tactical. They're at entirely different scales.

Imperial Assault is about actions at the individual level: Man-on-man fights where you decide who's using a blaster against whom, and when to move across (or down) a hallway. This is the tactical level, where players are making small-scale decisions.

Rebellion, on the other hand, is grand strategic. It is concerned with the movement of large formations of troops and decisions at planetary/galactic scale. That individual stormtrooper miniature represents a legion of troops. Decisions aren't at a fine-grained level, but are instead about which troops should be moved to which planets and the production and management of resources.

The goals and structures of the two games are entirely different. Imperial Assault is about (in the most general terms) shooting individual bad guys. Rebellion is about managing the entirety of the Rebellion/Empire's resources at a very high level.

These games scratch two entirely different itches. It's like the difference between Risk and Warhammer 40,000.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dying Tickles
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at your collection listed in your profile, Imperial Assault is probably fairly similar to the Ghostbusters game you rated an 8. While IA is a lot to get in to with all the expansions, even just the base game is a lot of fun and gives a lot of bang for the buck, whether it's the campaign mode or skirmish mode.

I didn't see anything in your collection that I think was very similar to Rebellion, but the Risk comparisons, if you're familiar with Risk, seems fairly apt, although Rebellion is a bit more involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dying Tickles
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Davej80 wrote:
DyingTickles wrote:
Looking at your collection listed in your profile, Imperial Assault is probably fairly similar to the Ghostbusters game you rated an 8. While IA is a lot to get in to with all the expansions, even just the base game is a lot of fun and gives a lot of bang for the buck, whether it's the campaign mode or skirmish mode.

I didn't see anything in your collection that I think was very similar to Rebellion, but the Risk comparisons, if you're familiar with Risk, seems fairly apt, although Rebellion is a bit more involved.

Thanks.

I am very familiar with Risk from childhood and from a few video game versions I've played. I just got into board games as an adult which explains my lack of owned games. As well as I really only buy games that I can play solo. The IA solo variant seemed like a lot of work for the amount of time I could foresee myself playing it.

Neither IA or Rebellion are very solo friendly. While IA *could* be played solo, I doubt Rebellion could be done since so much of it requires hidden information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial Assault is like Luke and Han trying to rescue the Princess from the Death Star, or it is Han's strike team on the Moon of Endor trying to reach and blow up the shield generator.

Rebellion is the entire 3 movie trilogy, A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
And don't worry about the expansions for IA. You can get hours and hours of play from the base game. If it's a hit then you can take a look at expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Taylor
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I'll point out that Rebellion may not have expansions at all, ever. None have been indicated and, personally, I don't think the game is geared towards that like IA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn King
United Kingdom
Ivybridge
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Watch a video review of both games, I'd recommend the Dice Tower, and you'll see they are completely different and the only similarity is the Star Wars theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stewart
United States
Universal City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tayloraj wrote:
I'll point out that Rebellion may not have expansions at all, ever. None have been indicated and, personally, I don't think the game is geared towards that like IA.

I could see a Scum and Villainy expansion, and it would be awesome, though probably very complex: a third faction that's vying for influence in the galaxy that can trade off its services to both sides. That would probably be more of an overhaul than an expansion, but still... Awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fike
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DyingTickles wrote:

*mental note* I really need to update my "collections" on here because I very often encounter people doing this....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fike
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Davej80 wrote:
DyingTickles wrote:

Thanks.

I am very familiar with Risk from childhood and from a few video game versions I've played. I just got into board games as an adult which explains my lack of owned games. As well as I really only buy games that I can play solo. The IA solo variant seemed like a lot of work for the amount of time I could foresee myself playing it.

Imperial Assault is not a solo game and if you did buy it for that reason, it is only because someone hacked it and created a solo variant (which may be good...not downplaying that...but is doubtful)

FFG just announced a solo variant for Descent. It involves using your ipad/device and it will play the role of the overlord so you can co-op/solo play your way through a campaign.

But if you are mostly interested in solo games. Check out the Dan Verssen line of games He has two series that specialize in solo play. "Field Commander" and "Leader". The field commander series includes - Rommel, Alexander, Napoleon, and Nimitz. The leader series has apache, Uboats, Tiger, Hornet, Phantom, Isreali air force, and a few others I am forgetting.

DVG also has Warfighter. All of these are fantastic solo games.

Next, Hoplomochas, from Chip Theory Games. They have 3 different Hoplomachus games. I recommend any/all of them.

Of course, I own all of these games but darned if my BGG profile says so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.