GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,067 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Smash Up» Forums » Rules

Subject: Closing multiple bases at once. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Logan Pierce
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
How many times do we check to see if bases close? We have two bases. "A" and "B." Base A has enough power to reach the break point. Base B needs needs 5 more power in order to break the base. I'm playing Steampunk Dragons. I have Bring Down the Walls on base A. I play Mechanic as a special before the base closes, thanks to Bring Down the Walls. I'm now in the lead in terms of power at base A. When I play the Mechanic, I grab Accromotive from my discard pile and play it as a special extra action on base B, which gives it enough power to close, where it didn't before. When it's time to score bases, what happens?

1- Base A and B will both score because they each have enough power to break the base when entering the scoring phase.
2- Only base A will score because base B didn't have enough power when "before a base scores" specials were allowed to be played.

Also, as I understand it, after playing "Before a base scores" specials, if Base A somehow had less power than its break point, it would still continue to score, since it reaching its break point is what allowed before a base scores specials to be played in the first place. If this is the case, then it leads me to believe that base power is checked only once. Before any "before the base scores" specials can be played and will continue to score, even if the total power somehow drops below the break point.

If that's the case, then it wouldn't be possible to trigger a second base into scoring after the before the base scores specials have been played.

I'd appreciate some further rules clarification. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick T
msg tools
You're very close. Once the main part of your turn is over (play cards phase), you check to see if any bases are ready to score. If one or more is, the current player chooses one of them to score. All specials happen, the base is discarded etc. Then, bases are checked again to see if any are ready to score and so forth.

So, to answer your question, bases are not all checked at once, they're resolved one after another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Pierce
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Thank you for the speedy reply! That makes sense.

So, just to clarify. Base A is ready to score, I play Mechanic as a special, then play Accromotive as a special to base B, which now has enough points to close. After base A closes, we check to see if any other bases are ready to close, in which case, base B would now be ready to close. Bases close one at a time, while the game checks to see if any other bases are ready to close after each ready base closes.

Excellent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick T
msg tools
Yep you got it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TaylztheFaux wrote:
So, to answer your question, bases are not all checked at once, they're resolved one after another.

A Check if a base scores
A1 If any number of bases could score, current player choose one and resolve scoring it
A2 If no bases scores end turn
B Return to A

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.