GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,334 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Arkham Horror: Dunwich Horror Expansion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Violent Outbursts and Panic (Madness Cards) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, this is an interesting one. The same investigator drew both cards; each cards instructs the investigator to do the exact opposite of the other. Maybe replace the two cards with Schizophrenia? Has this ever come up before?

Edit: In looking at these 2 cards I might guess the investigator could neither evade nor fight, so any encounter with a monster would be deadly. The only way to resolve would be to reduce the investigator to 0 Sanity or Stamina.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that the "may not evade" takes precedence, because as a rule of thumb, restrictions trump allowances.

Or you could read Panic as "You must always attempt to evade a monster before fighting it if able." In this case you are not able.

Essentially, this means the Panic card is mostly nullified except for the "can't initiate with Elusive monsters" part and the "devoured if you have a Sprained Ankle" part.

Also I'd move this to the Miskatonic forum because these cards are from Miskatonic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, realized this should be over in Miskatonic after I posted; not sure if I can do that or a moderator must do.

That makes a lot of sense if we can add the if able qualifier, though it certainly does take the bite out of having two pretty tough Madness cards. For Michael McGlen (who drew them both), it almost works to his advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
You stand perfectly still and whisper to yourself< "I'm invisible. I'm invisible." Seriously, this is a great question. I've never had it come up, and I play solo a lot.

Maybe give the monster one free attack. If you aren't knocked out, then take a horror check and fight as normal.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
You stand perfectly still and whisper to yourself< "I'm invisible. I'm invisible." Seriously, this is a great question. I've never had it come up, and I play solo a lot.

Maybe give the monster one free attack. If you aren't knocked out, then take a horror check and fight as normal.

Brian

That sounds like a good compromise. I could even say auto fail the horror check and take one hit before starting combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.