GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,525 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Games to play with dice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Byer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a family gathering this evening to play some games but in general they don't play hobby games. More like bingo, win lose or draw, rummy...that sort of thing.

I happen to have about 2 dozen dice that I use for RPGs and was trying to think of some games we could possibly play with them. I thought of Tenzi but I only have enough for 2 people.

Any suggestions? Just looking for quick and easy types of things. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Harrison
United States
Beavercreek
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Liar's Dice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Greer
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming you're talking about standard 6-sided, the only thing that comes to mind to play that's quick, easy, and social like that with a bunch of dice is Bunco. I mean there's really NOTHING to this game: it's 100% luck but the point of it is it's easy and very social.

If you're feeling "dicey" and want something generally attractive to a light party group, I suggest Qwixx and/or Rolling America. These are social but require at least a measure of decision making, well above bunco.

Of course, this doesn't make use of the dice you already have sitting around your house, but these are inexpensive games, and easily and quickly acquired at your local Target or Toys R Us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Farkle requires six D6's. I think it's too long for what it is, but your group may enjoy it.

Reiner Knizia's Decathlon requires eight D6's and the rules below, as well as pencil and paper for scoring
http://www.knizia.de/wp-content/uploads/reiner/freebies/Webs...

Liar's Dice requires five D6's per player. We play using dice cups, but I don't know whether they are strictly necessary. There are several sets of rules on the following page: https://boardgamegeek.com/files/thing/45

Ship, Captain, and Crew is a very simple drinking game that uses five D6's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Greer
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tineren wrote:

Ooh, sniped by Chuck, but this is a great suggestion. They also re-skinned and re-packaged this same game as "Pirate Dice" and sold it as Pirates of the Caribbean merch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Byer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I'll look into those. Yes, regular D6's. My main thing was trying to use what I have rather than making and extra trip to the store. I will definitely keep an eye out for them next time I'm out.

I may try introducing something like Sushi Go! or Dead Man's Draw to them. Start small.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chadwick12 wrote:
Thanks! I'll look into those. Yes, regular D6's. My main thing was trying to use what I have rather than making and extra trip to the store. I will definitely keep an eye out for them next time I'm out.

I may try introducing something like Sushi Go! or Dead Man's Draw to them. Start small.

For Liar's dice all you really need is the dice, some opaque cups and a printout of the bidding board. There are bunches of them in the file section of the Liar's Dice page. I couldn't find one but we use one that has a place lost dice so we can better keep track of probabilities. Really fun, quick game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Byer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand the bidding board. Is it even necessary?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bakalos
Canada
flag msg tools
The dice game "10,000" is my favorite dice game! All you need is 6 d6's

Here are super simple rules with tons of push your luck

http://m.wikihow.com/Play-10000
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chadwick12 wrote:

I have played Perudo / Liar'd Dice several times and never used a bidding board. I got the Perudo version at a yard sale, and the box didn't have a bidding board in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bakadeuce wrote:
The dice game "10,000" is my favorite dice game! All you need is 6 d6's

Here are super simple rules with tons of push your luck

http://m.wikihow.com/Play-10000

10,000 is another name for Farkle (also called Greed and Farkle, Zilch, Farkel, and Wimp Out).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chadwick12 wrote:

It depends on the rules you are using.

Some versions allow bids on wilds to be half the amount of a bid on a non-wild number: So a bid of three wilds overcalls up to six 6's. The boards is handy to keep track of that.

Some versions do not allow bidding on wilds. Or in a variant I have played, where if wild aces are led as the opening bid, then there no wilds for that round at all. (All aces are then treated like any other number.) In either case, you don't need a bidding board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll also agree Liar's Dice is an excellent game. I do think the board really helps people to keep track of what the current bet is, and I'd probably try to find a board (even if it's just a cheapie you print out yourself?) if you're teaching the game to casual players. Gamers could play it without a board more readily, but if your crowd normally reaches for bingo, you'll want something to help them keep track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
+1 Reiner Knizia's Decathlon. It can really feel like a competition! With real choices to make. Get the downloadable score sheet in the Files section.

Also check out Solitaire Dice / Extra!. Despite its name you can play it multi-player. Just need 5 d6 and a piece of paper to score on per player.

Both of these games can be played solo or simultaneously with a virtually limitless number of players. (Although with Decathlon you'll need 8 d6 per player and if playing simultaneously you'll lose the fun of watching/pressuring your opponents.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
bwingrave wrote:

Liar's Dice requires five D6's per player. We play using dice cups, but I don't know whether they are strictly necessary. There are several sets of rules on the following page: https://boardgamegeek.com/files/thing/45

Ship, Captain, and Crew is a very simple drinking game that uses five D6's.

I've substituted Red Solo cups in for dice cups. They make a nice loud rattle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a home made version of Can't Stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Byer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the great responses. I have a lot of games to look into now for situations like this. It's always interesting to go into a night like this because I'm use to my heavier games but a night of fun party games isn't bad once in awhile. I did end up teaching/playing Liar's Dice with a few folks. We also played Tripoley which I always forget how much I actually enjoy. I came out $1.35 ahead so big winner right here. And we played some Electronic Catch Phrase. It's a far cry from my typical games but over all a fun and enjoyable night of relaxed gaming. Thanks again for lol the great suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George P.E., PMP, DM
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
What did you play, and how did it go?

Did you really consider Tenzi?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 for Greed/10,000/Farkle

We also like Yahtzee with the family....

And we also enjoyed Tenzis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
Ambersilk wrote:
And we also enjoyed Tenzis

With the right people in the right mood, any game can be enjoyable

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Byer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeorgeMo wrote:
What did you play, and how did it go?

Did you really consider Tenzi?

As far as using the dice I had on hand I taught and played Liar's Dice and it went over well. I had one person that was having a hard time understanding that a bid had to increase in quantity or value despite repeated harassment from other players. The same person also took forever to make a decision on their turn. They were way overthinking a simple game. Perhaps just not a good game for them. Everyone else enjoyed it immensely.

I did consider Tenzi initially because having only seen it at Barnes&Noble it just looked like a tube of dice which is what I have haha. Didn't know anything about it other than that. Until looking it up on here which prompted me to start this thread. Maybe if I turned it into a drinking game

Thanks for the video, made me laugh. Good way to start my Sunday!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Byer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was bored this afternoon so decided to try Reiner Knizia's Decathlon. I gathered my dice up and printed off a copy of the excellent scoresheet by...
Eric Gaudet
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

...then set to town rolling! This was a blast! I can see myself doing this from time to time trying to break my records. I will for sure be introducing this one to my regular group as a nice filler.

The 1500 meter was my best event while the 400 meter was my worst. Obviously I'm more of a distance runner. My overall score on my first decathlon was 203. Not sure if that is good or bad but it was fun either way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bi had the same question a year ago when I got a whole extra set of dice from the game Quantum. .. We Ended up playing both Liar's Dice And SUTAKKU, without the "take that" cards and vertical stackijng. It was a blast...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.