GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,265 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: With the new app coming, what should a noob buy?! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Descent 2.0, and love it. However, it's hard to get my playgroup together to play, so, this could work wonders for me. However, I have no idea where to start expanding my collection. I will have to get the base game, but what do people recommend from there?

It seems like hero and monster packs are the best place to start. Expansions are useless except for components, but how vital are those components for variety using this app? I assume the Lieutenant packs are a nice to have, but not necessary, right?

Thanks for any advice you have!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, hero and monster packs should be the last thing on your list. They only add additional heroes and monsters. Heroes and monsters are also included in the small and big box expansions. In addition, those expansions get you extra items, classes and, most importantly, new quests and campaigns.

The app is no substitute for those expansions. In fact, you need to input in the app which of the expansions you own (presumably using the product codes included in the boxes) so that it can draw content from those expansions. So the more of them you have, the more you will get from the app.

Lieutenant packs are also a must have in my opinion. At least a few of them to draw plot decks from. The plot deck mechanic is an essential asset to the overlord and you should never play a campaign without one. Obviously, you do not need all of them, but a few is Always nice.

So, regardless of whether or not you own the app, I would advice you to: get the base game, get a small box expansion and 1 or 2 lieutenant packs. Then play the base campaign 1 or 2 times. Then get a new big box expansion and play that one. Expand at your Leisure from here with additional small box expansions, hero and monster packs, the other big box expansion, more lieutenant packs, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, it looks like I can get the base set, and both of the big box expansions as well as some lieutenants from both expansions (not so much for the base game, they are awaiting reprints inguess). If I were to get the Labyrinth of Ruin, and some lieutenant packs for that, would that be an advisable start?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You probably won't need product codes. If you try and use expansions you don't have you wont have the cards from them to run in the game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In terms of how the app appears to work... Hero and minter collections offer more impact on the app based solo play.
Bix boxes do add new class decks which I think are also key, but the campaigns will not be utilized by the app as it is implying that it uses all new solo adventures and not previously published work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigsixer wrote:
So, it looks like I can get the base set, and both of the big box expansions as well as some lieutenants from both expansions (not so much for the base game, they are awaiting reprints inguess). If I were to get the Labyrinth of Ruin, and some lieutenant packs for that, would that be an advisable start?

I think that would be as advisable start, indeed. The Labyrinth of Ruin expansion includes 3 different monster groups and 4 different heroes already (which is equal to any given hero and monster pack). In addition, you have the added classes, items, and quests, the campaign + additional tiles.

virferrorum wrote:
In terms of how the app appears to work... Hero and minter collections offer more impact on the app based solo play.
Bix boxes do add new class decks which I think are also key, but the campaigns will not be utilized by the app as it is implying that it uses all new solo adventures and not previously published work.

The way I read the announcement was that it could draw content from expansions you own. I immediately thought this would include the quests included in all owned boxes. Or at the very least they would utilise the tiles included in the additional boxes to create quests you otherwise would be unable to play. I would be disappointed if they would not use the quests and additional tiles from the small and big box expansions. If that is the case, however, then I understand the initial question of the OP a lot more. It would still be lame, though.

Titeman wrote:
You probably won't need product codes. If you try and use expansions you don't have you wont have the cards from them to run in the game...

I am not sure. I can understand that they want to make sure that you actualy own the expansions you claim you do. Because with all the material available online and with the app randomising search cards and monsters, it would be quite easy to just buy the base campaign and select all available expansions then have the app tell you what abilities and powers each item/monster/etc. has. If I were ffg I would have required the product code of each expansion. But, who knows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I hope it doesn't require product codes, I've tossed all my boxes and use a plano and a hanging file organizer for all my descent stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
"Some fights will just get you bloody"
mbmbmbmbmb
bobnabob wrote:
Well I hope it doesn't require product codes, I've tossed all my boxes and use a plano and a hanging file organizer for all my descent stuff!

As an aside, proof of purchase has nothing to do with the box. It's a punch token from the chit boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice is to buy the basic box and then wait and see/play.

I think there is enough in the basic box to warrant some great play.

I see many people simply buy far too many expansion boxes without ever getting a decent return (read fun playing hours) on investment.

Even the very best games I purchased are still mostly played in their basic formats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stripling
United States
Lowell
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the other thread it seems to be the consensus (and indeed how I understand the announcement) that existing quests will not be utilized by the app. But you would still benefit from the boxed expansions because they give you access to more classes and items and such and so will add the most variety.
-ryanjamal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Vardaine wrote:
Titeman wrote:

I am not sure. I can understand that they want to make sure that you actualy own the expansions you claim you do. Because with all the material available online and with the app randomising search cards and monsters, it would be quite easy to just buy the base campaign and select all available expansions then have the app tell you what abilities and powers each item/monster/etc. has. If I were ffg I would have required the product code of each expansion. But, who knows.

Of course you won't need product codes.

For a start, it would be very easy to find the appropriate product code if you wanted to "cheat". It's not as if every Descent box comes with a unique identification number that proves you own a physical copy.

It would also be ridiculous to think that FFG expects every owner of Descent to keep the packaging of every single expansion that they every purchased.

If someone really wanted to proxy every single item to play Descent, then they could. This is true before the App was ever designed. This is true for most games, the games companies know that for the vast majority of customers, people just don't do this because it would take too much time and effort. In most cases it's easier, quicker and often cheaper to just buy the product in the first place. It will be no different with the App. I'm sure someone will do this but I'm also sure that FFG will not loose any sleep over this.

As for using existing Campaigns, they will not be playable using this App. Maybe one day they will re-design the App but at the moment it's clear that it's not meant to be used for the existing Descent Campaigns. The new App is really just an implementation of the FFG Co-op POD designs, Forgotten Souls, Nature's Ire, and Dark Elements. It have some additional functionally but at the core the App is based on those POD designs.

Anyway, if you want to play the existing campaigns solo or as a co-op, all you need to do is use Redjak's RAMV or RAOV fan-made releases. They do a fantastic job, you can find them in the Files section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hunnel
msg tools
It seems like the box expansions would be the best bet for the app. More tiles, monsters, items, heroes, and classes. What I am wondering is why we would need the Lieutenant packs. Couldn't we just use the tokens of them that come with the game and expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are fine with the base game for now. Basically I think expanding hero classes will grant you the most replay value and they can be found in the small and big box expansions. As the base game comes with 8 hero-classes, you won't run out of hero classes that fast, but I don't like all of the base game classes.

As for expansions I really like Shadow of Nerekhall as I really like all the 4 monstergroups and it comes with 4 very cool new hero classes and heroes. I also think the heroes and hero-classes in Liar of the Wyrm are much fun and the monstergroups are kind of unique, Manor of Ravens has very cool monstergroups, but I think the classes are not the most intriguing, Labyrinth of Ruins has a few nice heroes and hero-classes, good to ok monsters, but the huge incentive for this expansion is a new OL deck you can't use with the app. As a whole I would place Labyrinth of Ruins and Trollfens at the bottom of the list and Shadow of Nerekhall and Liar of the Wyrm on top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
For a start, it would be very easy to find the appropriate product code if you wanted to "cheat". It's not as if every Descent box comes with a unique identification number that proves you own a physical copy.

Every ffg game has a "Proof of Purchase" token included with a unique code identifying your specific copy of the game. That is what I meant with "product code". And indeed, it does exactly that: proving that you own a physical copy of the game.

Now, you might be completely right in that they do not care and that you can just select which expansions to include regardless of whether you own it or not. I agree that some people might proxy stuff already, so probably this discussion is a bit pointless anyway. So, let's leave it at that.

xris wrote:
As for using existing Campaigns, they will not be playable using this App. Maybe one day they will re-design the App but at the moment it's clear that it's not meant to be used for the existing Descent Campaigns. The new App is really just an implementation of the FFG Co-op POD designs, Forgotten Souls, Nature's Ire, and Dark Elements. It have some additional functionally but at the core the App is based on those POD designs.

According to the announcement of Road to Legend, they speak of two campaigns that will be included with the app: A mini-campaign "Rise of all goblins" and a full fledged campaign: "Kindred Fire". While it appears you are right and that the existing campaigns and quests can not be combined (which is too bad), this may be expanded upon to include at least the additional tiles included in other expansions.

As it stands, however, if the OP is merely interested in playing with the app and not to play Descent as it is meant to be played, then maybe the Hero and Monster Packs have more value for money than the boxed expansions after all. Although you still lack the classes and items that they bring. The question is if that's worth the extra $20.

And now that I am correcting myself anyway, does someone have a clue whether or not the plot decks have any value with this app? Someone asked how the overlord cards will be played and I am basically wondering the same about plot cards. Obviously, if those cannot be used with Road to Legend, then getting the lieutenant packs has become completely pointless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MatchesMalone wrote:
It seems like the box expansions would be the best bet for the app. More tiles, monsters, items, heroes, and classes. What I am wondering is why we would need the Lieutenant packs. Couldn't we just use the tokens of them that come with the game and expansions?

The Lieutenant Packs come with monster cards so they can be used in any campaign in which they normally don't appear...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Vardaine wrote:
[q="xris"]Every ffg game has a "Proof of Purchase" token included with a unique code identifying your specific copy of the game. That is what I meant with "product code". And indeed, it does exactly that: proving that you own a physical copy of the game.

Now, you might be completely right in that they do not care and that you can just select which expansions to include regardless of whether you own it or not. I agree that some people might proxy stuff already, so probably this discussion is a bit pointless anyway. So, let's leave it at that.

Apologies, my earlier post came across as rather aggressive, didn't really mean that.

The Proof of Purchase does have a code printed on it but it's not unique to your copy of the game. It is simply the ISBN number, the same number printed on the Proof of Purchase is printed on the outside of the game box and it's even shown on the FFG web site for the Descent product.

For example, the base game (DJ01) has 978-1-61661-189-7 on the PoP. This number is printed on the box and is listed on the Descent: Journeys in the Dark Second Edition FFG webpage.

I think you'll need OCD at the CDO level to have saved all your PoP tokens
Vardaine wrote:
As it stands, however, if the OP is merely interested in playing with the app and not to play Descent as it is meant to be played, then maybe the Hero and Monster Packs have more value for money than the boxed expansions after all. Although you still lack the classes and items that they bring. The question is if that's worth the extra $20.

That's a good point and opinions will vary on what would be the best option. The Class cards do offer a way to increase replayability for example. I suspect if anyone is planning to play a Descent campaign (i.e. no App) then the big-box expansions becomes more attractive.
Vardaine wrote:
And now that I am correcting myself anyway, does someone have a clue whether or not the plot decks have any value with this app? Someone asked how the overlord cards will be played and I am basically wondering the same about plot cards. Obviously, if those cannot be used with Road to Legend, then getting the lieutenant packs has become completely pointless.

I don't see Plot cards or Overlord cards being used at all with the App, at least not until they code a major update for the App.

It does make Lieutenant packs rather pointless for App only play (except for the figure but then it's rather expensive for just that).

The POD Co-Op games make no use of Plot cards or Overlord cards so I don't think the App will. I'm wondering of the (physical) Travel/City Event cards are required? Will Relic cards be utilized? The Travel Event cards could be built into the game easy enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like it might make sense to just sit and wait to see how the app actually works. Maybe it's best to just get the base game and an expansion or two then get more expansions and/or lieutenant minis later if they are used with the app. That said, I am already heavy into Imperial Assault. Maybe I should wait to see if an app is on the way for that? Then again, come April 1, this Descent stuff could go way up in price.

So much to think about thanks everyone for your thoughts and opinions so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Bigsixer wrote:
Looks like it might make sense to just sit and wait to see how the app actually works. Maybe it's best to just get the base game and an expansion or two then get more expansions and/or lieutenant minis later if they are used with the app. That said, I am already heavy into Imperial Assault. Maybe I should wait to see if an app is on the way for that? Then again, come April 1, this Descent stuff could go way up in price.

There should be no reason why you couldn't just purchase the base game when the App becomes available. Play it a while and if you are enjoying it and want more variety then you could consider if you want to add any expansions. Heck, you might be able to get some games in using an OL as well as using the App

Concerning IA and the possibility of a similar IA App. The difference with Descent is that they had released three POD co-op expansions over the last couple of years. During that time I suspect they had the Descent App in mind and they used the PODs to gauge interest and test if the system worked.

We haven't seen anything like that for IA. It doesn't mean that IA will never get an App but if it does then I think it's still a good year or two away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
app comes with a free campaign which requires only the core game. The additional larger 9.99 campaign is what utilizes the core game + any expansion material you may have. Considering the app is creating your 'dungeon' based on what tiles you own (1 tile revealed at a time) then it would make sense to have a variety of tiles- items only found in the core game + boxed expansions (if you invest in the 9.99 campaign).

If you try the free campaign and find that you don't really like the app then there probably is no reason to buy any expansions.

But if you are already heavily invested in IA, it would probably be better to see how successful this app is/works as that would likely determine whether or not an IA app would be feasible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chronob64
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:

It does make Lieutenant packs rather pointless for App only play (except for the figure but then it's rather expensive for just that).

I bet that having the Lieutenant packs entered into the App will allow them to replace monster groups as an Agent. You will also need to have the Agent card from the pack to have their proper stats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
chronob64 wrote:
xris wrote:

I bet that having the Lieutenant packs entered into the App will allow them to replace monster groups as an Agent. You will also need to have the Agent card from the pack to have their proper stats.

Yes, something like that is very likely.

Looking at the FFG trailer video, the Lieutenant packs can be added to "Your Collection" within the app so doing must add something to the game.

Mind, the Lieutenant packs are going to be the easiest to proxy. In a lot of cases you will already have the token but even then a suitable figure will do. Beyond that, all you need it a image of the Agent card and you can use Lieutenants in your game.

I don't think FFG are going to be too worried about this. Judging by the comments I've seen here on FFG, the app has given the sales of the Descent base game a decent boost and that will lead to further sales of expansions and even Lieutenant packs.

But you are right, the Lieutenant packs aren't going to be totally pointless. Heck, the App might even make use of the Threat Tokens in some way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris nelson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I know I'm buying a base game because of the app. Descent, or any overlord type game, didn't seem like a good game for m wife and I to play. Now we can at least play it in some form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisn96 wrote:
Well, I know I'm buying a base game because of the app. Descent, or any overlord type game, didn't seem like a good game for m wife and I to play. Now we can at least play it in some form.

Same for me. I hope FFG will have enough boxes of Descent2 in the coming months because I forsee a storm on the basic box when the software will be released.

I was just on the brink to sell Imperial Assault btw, but I guess I will put it in the closet for another year or 2 as the chance of transferring this automated system to that sister game could be likely in the future.

XCom is a great game with the almost invisible App. I guess someone at FFG was convinced that an automated GameMastrr/Overlord would be a success!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf the Greyjoy
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New classes. Definately buy expansions with new classes for ultimate replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daniels
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben_Bos wrote:
My advice is to buy the basic box and then wait and see/play.

I think there is enough in the basic box to warrant some great play.

I see many people simply buy far too many expansion boxes without ever getting a decent return (read fun playing hours) on investment.

Even the very best games I purchased are still mostly played in their basic formats.

I think this is probably the best advice for starting out with the app. Add more later if you enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.