GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,610 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Merchant of Venus (second edition)» Forums » General

Subject: [Standard Game] Is Human Overpowered? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jin TS
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, MoV is a very interesting and exciting game for me and I have bought it back in 2014. Since then, I have played it more than 8 times and recently me and my game group have our excitement on this game reignited.

However, we noticed the Human is way too powerful with the Pilot level 3 ability, where the player may skip all blue color spaces in travelling route. Combining the drives that allows the player to also skip yellow and red color spaces, the player who plays this is literally flying from one corner of the universe to another corner, and picking up all passengers, trading all goods at the best price, etc...almost unstoppable. Not to mention if the player maximizes the Laser and Shield upgrade with the help of technology such as Variable Laser and Variable Shield....gosh, going through Hazards like a walk in the park!

I would like to get some opinions from other MoV veteran gamers and see if the ability needs to be nerfed a little bit, such as activating only every alternate round...etc. We have compared this ability with the Level 3 abilities of the other three pilots and they seem to unable to match the superiority of this extreme maneuverability, especially in a 2-player game where little can be done to stop it, since the game is not PVP in nature.

Thanks for your time in replying and I really appreciate it very much.

Jin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian van Someren
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, by the time you get to Level 3, you should have enough upgrades that movement isn't really an issue anymore. The human's ability adds a bit of flexibility, but in general I find that I can always get where I need to go each turn by this stage of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack S
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a friend at the level 3 zooming around the board completing missions and such as a Human, but by that point, a lot of the markets weren't in his favour and there weren't that many goods left either.

There are a lot of variables involved in this though (e.g. discovering the Human planet earlier on, placement of planets lends itself to speedier travel).

I personally prefer the Robots (cant recall their name currently) because I can keep shifting the market so it's either the standard or the upmarket when I'm selling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.