1 Posts

Scrabble» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Game Day, 1st game. Scrabble for four. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
E Lewy
United States
flag msg tools
I had posted on the forums for a game day at my place. Also in a few other places. It ended up being me, my sweetie, a friend from college who's in the area for library science school, and a guy named Paul who I hadn't met before. Upon arrival, Paul sees my games piled on the game chest/coffee table and announces that he likes Scrabble. As he is the guest, and I haven't had the chance to bust out my board for a while, I'm game. At first I think this game is going to be a pain in my ass, because Paul wants to know why I don't have the Official Scrabble Player's Dictionary. Now, I am a word geek and a pretty decent Scrabble player, but I'm also broke. The OSPD is not high up on my list of things I want to get when I have money for geekdom. Pretty soon, though, Nicole (my friend from school) shows up, and she's okay with Scrabble as well. We start a four-player game with my non-gamer boyfriend.

I pick the blank tile and go first, playing BINGO, which I thought was pretty neat considering I used all my consonants. Throughout the game I was damned with pretty crappy tiles, although I was able to use the J when it got to me and I wasn't stuck with the Q at the end. That was Gabriel's misfortune.

Right out of the gate Gabriel scores a 35-pointer with ZOOM and he ends up able to hold onto the lead over us all throughout. Nicole's best scoring word was JAVA with a double letter on the J.

The final play came from Paul, who subsequently gained fifteen points from our leftover tiles: 4 from me, 10 from Gabriel's Q, and 1 from Nicole.

Final scores were:

Gabriel: 146, Erin: 134 (138-4), Paul: 120, Nicole: 110

Of this game, Gabriel said, "I KICKED YOUR ASS." I informed him that I have had my ass kicked at Scrabble much worse than that, by our acquaintances, no less. He conceded and said, "Still. I do like Scrabble, if you ever feel the need to rope me into a game."

I can live with that. He never would have admitted that when we first started playing together.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.