GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,384 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Liberty or Death: The American Insurrection» Forums » General

Subject: Tutorial clarifications needed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, this morning, I walked through the Playbook tutorial. This was after reading a few pages of the Rulebook last night. Needless to say, the tutorial really set a lot of things straight and I had a few "a ha, I get it" moments.

That said, a few things remain unclear, particularly in The Winter Quarters Round and I was hoping for some help.

- Supply Phase Patriots:

There is one space with Militia or Continentals that is either and Indian Reserve without a Patriot Fort or a Colony or City without a Patriot Fort and without Rebellion Control: Quebec Province.

I get that one, but what about Philadelphia? There is a Militia there without a Patriot Fort and without Rebellion Control. Why am I not required to pay a resource? Or am I misreading the Supply requirement?

- Redeployment Phase

At this point, the British receive more pieces in the Available box according to the Scenario instructions. In the 1776 Scenario, which we are currently looking at, the British receive six Regulars and six Tories during the Winter Quarters Round.

For the life of me, I can't find this anywhere. The one page scenario set-up is silent on Redeployment. Is there another scenario page I'm missing?

Lastly, I am a little confused with movement. During Game Turn 9, French Regulars and Patriot Continentals were able to move from Massachusetts all the way to South Carolina, presumably moving through British controlled territories. How so? Is movement not impeded at all?

Thanks for any and all help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nim Chimpsky
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
texascpa wrote:

There is one space with Militia or Continentals that is either and Indian Reserve without a Patriot Fort or a Colony or City without a Patriot Fort and without Rebellion Control: Quebec Province.

I get that one, but what about Philadelphia? There is a Militia there without a Patriot Fort and without Rebellion Control. Why am I not required to pay a resource? Or am I misreading the Supply requirement?

You are correct, and not misreading anything. Not mentioning Philadelphia was a mistake. This is addressed in the Errata forum: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1505675/official-liberty-or...

Page 11 Supply Phase Second paragraph add “and Philadelphia” after “Quebec Province”

Since there's only 1 unit in Philadelphia, this would have no effect anyway (since you'd choose to remove half the units rounded down, so 0, instead of paying the 1 Resource cost).

Quote:

At this point, the British receive more pieces in the Available box according to the Scenario instructions. In the 1776 Scenario, which we are currently looking at, the British receive six Regulars and six Tories during the Winter Quarters Round.

For the life of me, I can't find this anywhere. The one page scenario set-up is silent on Redeployment. Is there another scenario page I'm missing?

This is listed under the "British Release Date Schedule", which is listed below "Unavailable" in the 1-page set-up.

Quote:

Lastly, I am a little confused with movement. During Game Turn 9, French Regulars and Patriot Continentals were able to move from Massachusetts all the way to South Carolina, presumably moving through British controlled territories. How so? Is movement not impeded at all?

When marching you can sort of "teleport" between cities, as long as they are under your side's control. In that example, they moved from Mass. into Boston (a Rebel-controlled city), "teleported" to Charleston (another Rebel-controlled city) and then moved over to the adjacent South Carolina location.

It can take a bit of parsing, but the movement options for marching are that units in a city or adjacent to one can move to another city or a space adjacent to that other city, as long as both cities involved are under their side's control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Buchanan
United States
RSF
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
texascpa wrote:
So, this morning, I walked through the Playbook tutorial. This was after reading a few pages of the Rulebook last night. Needless to say, the tutorial really set a lot of things straight and I had a few "a ha, I get it" moments.

That said, a few things remain unclear, particularly in The Winter Quarters Round and I was hoping for some help.

- Supply Phase Patriots:

- Redeployment Phase

If patriots in a supply phase don't meet any criteria they remove 1 in 2 pieces. since there is only 1 there - they don't remove any.

British Unavailable are covered by Scenario set up. 1776 for example says:

Unavailable:
British: 6 Regulars, 6 Tories
French: 9 Regulars, 1 Squadron/Blockade

British Release Date Schedule:
First Winter Quarters Round (After 1776)
• 6 Regulars, 6 Tories

March is different for each faction. British can move by sea regardless of who controls the city. French can move through cities that are Rebellion controlled and they can pull Patriots with them. Patriots can only March adjacent on their commands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott D
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get what Nim means, but, to be clear, as Harold implies, what is happening in the French March is that the French and Continentals are "sailing" to South Carolina. They can do this because Boston (adjacent to Massachusetts) and Charles Town (adjacent to South Carolina) are under Rebellion control. You should also note that normal French March (without sea travel) is limited to an adjacent space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the replies, guys. I totally forgot about the remove half, rounded down rule. I will say there are a lot of little rules like that which requires you to slow down and step through everything very carefully.

Also, appreciate the breakdown in the movement differences. Big help. And thinking in terms of sailing down the coast makes the movement more palatable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Buchanan
United States
RSF
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
texascpa wrote:
thanks for the replies, guys. I totally forgot about the remove half, rounded down rule. I will say there are a lot of little rules like that which requires you to slow down and step through everything very carefully.

Also, appreciate the breakdown in the movement differences. Big help. And thinking in terms of sailing down the coast makes the movement more palatable.

When I play a COIN game I hold the Faction foldout in my hand through the entire game.

The Propaganda Round Sequence of Play is another critical player aid and makes that walk through much easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott D
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
texascpa wrote:

Another thing to remember is that there are approximately 10 cards on average between Winter Quarters rounds. So, if we consider each card to represent abstractly about five weeks of time, it becomes more reasonable to consider a Rebellion army sailing from Boston to Charles Town and dispersing into South Carolina.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.