GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,109 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt Against Caesar» Forums » General

Subject: Boar Symbol Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert M

Hawaii
msg tools
badge
Arkham Horror
mbmbmbmbmb
I've skimmed through the rule book and read a lot about the game, but haven't really found any information pertaining to the boar symbol used on the Arverni, Belgic and Aedui Warbands. I am not very familiar with Roman history or that of Gaul, but this game has gotten me interested in the history as I am a big fan of the Coin series. I was wondering why each tribe has been given the same boar symbol, instead of a different symbol like the Romans and Germanic pieces do. What does the symbol represent historically and what is its significance to these tribes? Thanks and I can't wait to get this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's both symbolic and concrete: it was a totem of strength in battle, as a primary source of supply (boar hunting), for all the celtic (gallic) tribes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M

Hawaii
msg tools
badge
Arkham Horror
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. Thanks for the quick reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some Belgian Army units still have the boar in their weapon shields.

The Chasseurs Ardennais (well known from some historical battles) also have a living boar as a mascotte.

They even take the animal with them on parades

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wakeham
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From Jeffrey Greene's The Golden-Bristled Boar: Last Ferocious Beast of the Forest:

Quote:
The Romans associated the Gauls with boars. On Trajan's column, a boar is a Gallic emblem in the depiction of Trajan's triumphs in Rome's northern provinces. Gallic warriors invoked the boar's spirit to lead them aggressively into battle and inspire cunning maneuvers on defense. A boar's hide was thought to impart healing powers to the wounded.

But ironically, as I know from living in Chester (Roman Deva), home to the Twentieth Legion:

Quote:
Romans shared the Gallic enthusiasm for the boar emblem. The boar served as an insignia for Octavian's Twentieth Legion campaigns in what is now Spain, Germany, and Britain, as well as for his Tenth Legion during the Balkans campaign. Nero's First Legion, in its defense of the Danube, also fought under the boar insignia.

Here's a Roman antefix (roofing end tile) found close to Chester, with the Twentieth Legion's (Legio XX) boar emblem:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben_Bos wrote:
Some Belgian Army units still have the boar in their weapon shields.

The Chasseurs Ardennais (well known from some historical battles) also have a living boar as a mascotte.

They even take the animal with them on parades :)

Cool. I did not know that about modern Belgian units!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.