Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While waiting for more people to show up, I explained Agora to new member John. (I've gotten quite used to explaining it quickly at this point.) I mentioned the edge of table rules to John at the end as an afterthought. To my surprise, he placed his card in the corner of the table instead of the center. There was no way to block the shop's four entrances because of the table edge. He played very defensively, creating thin unblocked alleys so that closing entrances was essentially impossible. I matched his strategy and play kept to the corner of the table. Incomes climbed quickly but John had a serious (somewhat engineered) setback when his original shops burnt down and I placed a new, safe shot in the area. I managed to pull far ahead in points.

In our second game I attempted to start just as John had, but a flood swapped our positions. I considered buying a cheap large shop in hopes of causing a fire to clear out the original shops, but didn't. We kept playing right along the edges, never able to decrease the other's income by more than $1 at a time (and usually none). Alan came in as we were finishing and we explained how we had broken the game, turning it into a random race. John hit 50 exactly, an event almost as merciful as it would have been for me to get another turn (and the win).

We discussed the problem; playing away from table edges seems necessary, although placing obstacles along the table edges might work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Re:No More Days, No More Dollars
mlvanbie (#21530),

We consider that the table is bordered with a solid wall one card length deep. You can play cards next to the edge, bu anything facing the edge or int hat borderland is considered "closed". Similarly cards played in that borderland are considered to have all doors automatically closed. This makes the edges something to avoid, thus forcing game play to table-center.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agora
The table edge rule definitely sounds like an interesting alternative to an infinite table. It might be worth extending it to include a width of a card diagonal. I will suggest this next time that I play.

Rereading the rules I see that in one minor aspect I was playing incorrectly: there should have been a card in the middle of the table before the first turn. I can already imagine how I will exploit this rule....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.